Neptune dos as water change

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to know if anyone uses the Neptune dos as a water change system. Was thinking of setting one up for my main display tank as have it change out ~20 gallons per week. Have it run at night and do around 3 gallons a night. I would set it up in the basement directly below my display tank. Do you guys think this would work effectively?

B-ridge

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it would work effectively. I’m actually doing the same thing with my set up. Display tank is 240 gallons on my first floor. Sump is 125 gallons and I have a 75 gallon fuge in basement where I have all my Neptune equipment. I have a extra dos so a buddy of mine suggested I use it to do my auto water changes. I just haven’t figured out how much water I should/am going to change a day/week. My biggest worry is I also just bought a trident. I wanna keep everything stable. If I do a large water change a day it will mess up my alk and cal levels where the trident will be having my dos operate all day. Still doing a bunch of research trying to figure everything out

Eight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run this setup on my old 180G with a Spectra pure liter meter and it worked wonderfully. You don't even need to really mix the new saltwater very carefully because the water change is so gradual. I used to just eyeball the salt to water mix in my water exchange storage tank and check the salinity periodically. No need to heat the storage water either.

Continuous water changes are a great way to keep things very stable as long as you are OK with the cost of salt.

JKenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sean, I have the DOS doing that for me now.
I have a 65g tank on my first floor and a 20g can in the basement with the DOS and 1/4" tubing connecting them. I have it set for 5300ml a day, 24h/day for 6 days a week for about 8.5g total. It has been running now for a little more that 3 months and I've not had any issues at all.
I did add a FMM in the basement as well and have both a leak detector and an optical sensor looking for a low water level. I didn't want the DOS pulling water from the DT and not have any water to put back in :) If the optical sensor trips, the DOS stops both in & out.
I added a few lines to the DOS channels that 1) if the "add" DOS channel is OFF then the "remove" channel will turn off. 2) If the ATK in my sump reports either high or low, the DOS water exchange will stop. 3) if it detects a leak it stops. & 4) it takes Sunday off for my maintenance.

Good luck, it's worked well for me.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it works great. Its loud though.

OP
OP
S

Sean Duggan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for your input. The dos itself along with water barrels would be in the basement. I’d get the lines up through the wall and into the sump. Has anyone noticed any problems with the dos pumps not matching their input and output. I understand they won’t match perfectly I just don’t want my atk to kick on and mess up the change. And I would be adding an FMM to the dos with an optical eye in each barrel to set an alarm if the waste water gets too high or supply gets too low

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you use the dos water change program your ato wont affect anything. It will change your specified amounts of water regardless because it doesn't use level sensors.

I have a float switch in my nsw barrel to stop awc if I run out of new water, but no other switches orsensors.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DOS

+

John Guest PP450821W 1/4 x 1/8 NPT Female Adapter

+

1/4" RO tubing

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 48 34.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 45 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back