Neptune DOS auto water change malfunction.

Wantsomemora Acrapora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went through calibration and setup without a hitch. What is happening is the right doser pump does not operate in the reverse direction as stated in the setup instructions. It keeps its original direction. Because my waste line is plumbed directly into my soil (toilet waste) line, if it reversed that would crash my tank.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it the dos heads only function in one direction, so just hook up the lines so that it is pulling in to the outside line for that head. I think when it says the right dosing pump runs in the reverse direction I think it's referring to the fact that the two heads turn in opposite directions.

Edit- Please just ignore me apparently I am completely wrong. I didn't realize that the head of a dos would ever reverse direction

Last edited:

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I discovered (accidentally) that if you just have them set as normal dosing heads without setting up the AWC feature it does the same thing without having to switch them in the opposite direction. I’ve been doing AWC that way for 2 weeks so far and haven’t had any issues.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I understand it the dos heads only function in one direction, so just hook up the lines so that it is pulling in to the outside line for that head. I think when it says the right dosing pump runs in the reverse direction I think it's referring to the fact that the two heads turn in opposite directions.
The directions of the heads can be changed

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The directions of the heads can be changed
Yes I just realized I was wrong and just edited my post. Can you normally reverse directions or only when setting it up for AWC? Also, any idea why they would have the right one reverse direction for an AWC I don't see what the purpose of it would be.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is how I set mine up. It shows you how to modify it

OP
OP
Wantsomemora Acrapora

Wantsomemora Acrapora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, so as far as I understand it, used as a doser both heads go in the same direction, but when used as an auto water change it clearly states to ignore the diagram on the head (right side head) as it will operate in the reverse direction. If I use it in a way contrary to the instructions, I risk a reset and the head perhaps randomly reversing if I reboot my Apex.

OP
OP
Wantsomemora Acrapora

Wantsomemora Acrapora

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I just realized I was wrong and just edited my post. Can you normally reverse directions or only when setting it up for AWC? Also, any idea why they would have the right one reverse direction for an AWC I don't see what the purpose of it would be.
The only thing I can think of is that it is pulling instead of pushing. Other than that, it makes no sense to me. As far as I know, the reverse direction is only applied when using the DOS for AWC.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back