Neptune DOS or GHL doser 2.1

Justin84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not to bring this “dead horse” up again but I’m having a hard time deciding on which way to go? I heard awesome things about GHL but Neptune DOS is screaming at me just because I’m a sucker for integration! I don’t quite have the need for a 4 head doser quite yet and the thought of automated water changes just makes me happy.. yet 4 heads just seems logical.. also what else is out there? I had a Jeabo but it couldn’t keep time.. BRS dosers are inexpensive yet suck up too many outlets on an energy bar... Suggestions, comments, pics...?

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not to bring this “dead horse” up again but I’m having a hard time deciding on which way to go? I heard awesome things about GHL but Neptune DOS is screaming at me just because I’m a sucker for integration! I don’t quite have the need for a 4 head doser quite yet and the thought of automated water changes just makes me happy.. yet 4 heads just seems logical.. also what else is out there? I had a Jeabo but it couldn’t keep time.. BRS dosers are inexpensive yet suck up too many outlets on an energy bar... Suggestions, comments, pics...?
GHL maxi doser is worth looking at

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just brought the DOS for the integration reason you mention. Pleased with it so far but kinda expensive. The one thing I don't like is that if the Apex itself dies, it is incapable of dosing as it does not hold the schedule in the DOS itself.

OP
OP
Justin84

Justin84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good point. I just switched over to the 2016 and I’ve read about dead brains caused by surges... my legacy apex was a solid piece but I only had it for a little over 2 years.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went through this, I went with the DOS just because I read about a lot of people having a hard time getting it setup out of the box. I don't have a lot of spare time and that wasn't an issue I wanted to deal with. GHL has always been very responsive and helped those who had issues, it just drove me away. I had the DOS setup in minutes with no issues.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both a DoS and GHL (though the 2 not 2.1). I'm increasingly wary off too many eggs in the apex basket. I'd certainly give the performance edge to the GHL, but I think it depends on what you plan for it. For AWC, go DoS; for dosing GHL.

OP
OP
Justin84

Justin84

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both a DoS and GHL (though the 2 not 2.1). I'm increasingly wary off too many eggs in the apex basket. I'd certainly give the performance edge to the GHL, but I think it depends on what you plan for it. For AWC, go DoS; for dosing GHL.
So hence the question... I fee the same way but I’m an apex junkie so it’s hard for me to possibly try both consider. Also I’ve read a lot and understand that GHL doser can be a little challenging to setup. I trave often and I need consistency and reliability... Again I fee like I’m splitting hairs because I feel both are an awesome product but I just would like to get this type of feedback

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always get a stand alone maxi doser. It's less expensive than the 2.1 and will easily do awc's if you wish. Then see how you like GHL and how everything works. If you end up loving GHL then get the 2.1 4 head and use for elements and use the maxi for awc or ato. If you're not a fan, you can move to DOS and either sell the maxi or use for awc/ato. The stand alone also comes with level sensor ports and a temp probe port which comes in handy!

Edit - I use a maxi for awc and absolutely love it! My waterchanges get done 24/7 and i just mix up a new batch every 2 weeks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back