Neptune DOS vs GHL maxi Doser?

ThaBeast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a DOS in my equipment closet changing ~10gallons per day. It has been reliable but man is it loud! I can hear it on the other side of the house. Is the GHL Maxi quieter? Any other units I should look at?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I draped a towel over mine to damp the noise. GHL Maxi appears to use the same/similar pump heads so not sure if it would be quieter.

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking to replace my 2 DoS units which both had a side fail the last couple of weeks (I swear there's some bad voodoo this month in this house). @ca1ore , did you ever do anything w/the Maxi. I believe I saw you ask about it in another thread. I'm assuming GHL would be a more reliable product but I dont see much about the maxi anywhere and it is on backorder on the GHL site.

LowLi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
weird q can you use the ghl doser with apex o_O?

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LowLi I dont think so other than to kill the power on it. But I believe the master dosers can be controlled over the web through their own interface or through GHL's controller(s).

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ghl maxi doser is fairly loud when on full speed but you can slow it down and reduce the noise. Mine is run in the garage as an auto water changer and I cant hear it through the wall. As soon as I open the laundry room door to the garage it is obvious that its running. I wouldn't install it in the sump cabinet if it were run at full speed.

There are videos available online of the noise it makes so you can decide if its acceptable.

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds no different than the DoS. I moved mine to the basement

The ghl maxi doser is fairly loud when on full speed but you can slow it down and reduce the noise. Mine is run in the garage as an auto water changer and I cant hear it through the wall. As soon as I open the laundry room door to the garage it is obvious that its running. I wouldn't install it in the sump cabinet if it were run at full speed.

There are videos available online of the noise it makes so you can decide if its acceptable.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking to replace my 2 DoS units which both had a side fail the last couple of weeks (I swear there's some bad voodoo this month in this house). @ca1ore , did you ever do anything w/the Maxi. I believe I saw you ask about it in another thread. I'm assuming GHL would be a more reliable product but I dont see much about the maxi anywhere and it is on backorder on the GHL site.

I've stuck with the DoS even thought it hardly seems the last word in reliability. I use it still for AWS thus the apex integration is useful. My standalone GHL doser 2 for trace and two part has been ticking along just fine. DOS and the maxi appear to use similar pump heads so I would imagine sound levels comparable.

ReefChef19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a DOS in my equipment closet changing ~10gallons per day. It has been reliable but man is it loud! I can hear it on the other side of the house. Is the GHL Maxi quieter? Any other units I should look at?
Honestly I have the dos in the garage for awc, my wife would kill me if it was in the house. Check out litermeter for awc, i use their ato and it is super quiet and the support is awesome.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back