Neptune FMM: I'm using 3/4" PVC for return. Should I step down to 1/2" sensor, or up to 1"?

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4" is a pretty common size. It seems really strange that there is no 3/4" sensor option. Especially considering the price difference is 30$ vs 60$ !!

Anyway. I assume stepping down to 1/2" would restrict flow a bit... But is it really enough to even worry about?

confused.gif
Thoughts?

Jason_J

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would increase the size to 1" for the flow meter. Increasing the size will have no negative affects on performance and will be able to handle additional flow in the future. A 1/2" flow meter could restrict flow as you aren't using pressure rated pumps and will be less useful down the road if you upgrade return pumps.

JDowns

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would increase the size to 1" for the flow meter. Increasing the size will have no negative affects on performance and will be able to handle additional flow in the future. A 1/2" flow meter could restrict flow as you aren't using pressure rated pumps and will be less useful down the road if you upgrade return pumps.

I would agree with this. 1" would be the best solution so you don't compromise the actual flow to the tank. Depending on your piping and installation the meter itself most likely will not give you an accurate true reading of the flow out the end of the pipe, especially running through a chiller, uv, all those fittings, elbows, etc. Not that the meters don't have a place, they are really handy for predictive maintenance if you set a known initial baseline for normal operations.

Javamahn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 back wall drilled Bulkheads are 3/4" I ran 1" all the way to the FMM and stepped down to 3/4" right at the turn into the bulkhead?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.5%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 22 11.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back