Neptune GRO Refugeum light

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stumbled upon the 'new' Neptune GRO refugeum light...

Hm.

I've got a Zetlight E200s. same 84 leds, same spectrum, same dimensions, even the mount is the same... and the Zetlight has disappeared from BRS's website, discontinued. Re-printed the glass, in the same place, with Neptune, and replaced the white rubber rim with an orange one.

Still, I have to say, the Zetlight grows chaetomorpha just fine. Plugged into a DC24v port on the Apex, you've got one less app to deal with, one less directly connected wifi device. Wonder if we can buy the Apex cable and retrofit the old Zetlight?

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 130 bucks it is relatively cheap. You can pre order on saltwateraquarium.com. I light my fuge from the side. It does seem like it is just a rebranding though. Shady in deed.
Yeah, price isn't bad, and $20 cheaper than the Zetlight was...

Shady? Aww... Neptune certainly isn't the only ones rebranding equipment in their name. Business as usual.

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They did mention on there video just now that it was made for Neptune, so it probably could very well be a ZET light.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, price isn't bad, and $20 cheaper than the Zetlight was...

Shady? Aww... Neptune certainly isn't the only ones rebranding equipment in their name. Business as usual.
$20 bucks cheaper is a deal. I need a second one for the other side of my sump and it seems perfect. I have an Amazon grow light that gets really hot. Even if it if just rebranded I'm ok with it.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea Terrence said in the video they did not make it, they worked with another company to integrate it with the Apex. He didn’t say, but it’s obviously Zetlight. I think it looks pretty good. If I wasn’t using an algae reactor I’d probably pick one up. I like the pipe mount.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thing there are going to be a number of good used refugium lights on the market about when I will be needing one.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thing there are going to be a number of good used refugium lights on the market about when I will be needing one.
Most likely, but I am very nervous about buying second hand grow lights. They are run and used in a harsher environment inside a cabinet.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea Terrence said in the video they did not make it, they worked with another company to integrate it with the Apex. He didn’t say, but it’s obviously Zetlight. I think it looks pretty good. If I wasn’t using an algae reactor I’d probably pick one up. I like the pipe mount.
The more I think about the more I like it. By them rebranding a proven item and making it compatible with the Apex, the more I like it. There shouldn't be any production nor QC issues. This is actually great news in my opinion.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just pre ordered one and let's see how it does. Will be replacing a H380.
Would be interested in your perspective. My H380 hasn't been the last thing in reliability (on my third). I wonder how water proof the GRO is?

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am guessing they put the H380 really low to make the comparison:
From the website
1615250131223.jpeg

My concern would be penetration power into a nice thick chaeto chunk

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be interested in your perspective. My H380 hasn't been the last thing in reliability (on my third). I wonder how water proof the GRO is?
I will definitely let you know. My H380 has its moments from time to time, but I good breakdown and compressed air cleaning has brought it back to life.

At only 20 watts I'd like to see what ots capable of growing myself.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very interested in this light.

I do not understand why people seem so negative with "re-branding". Whether a company has bought out a company or product and then put their name on it (they can, they own it now), or they simply bought the rights to build a product and put their name on it, who cares? That is not shady business. In fact it's a business practice as old as time. Much of what people buy are "re-branded", they just don't know it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will definitely let you know. My H380 has its moments from time to time, but I good breakdown and compressed air cleaning has brought it back to life.

At only 20 watts I'd like to see what ots capable of growing myself.

Ah, I failed to note that it is 20 Watts. Following.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very interested in this light.

I do not understand why people seem so negative with "re-branding". Whether a company has bought out a company or product and then put their name on it (they can, they own it now), or they simply bought the rights to build a product and put their name on it, who cares? That is not shady business. In fact it's a business practice as old as time. Much of what people buy are "re-branded", they just don't know it.

Completely agree. Brand names get slapped onto OEM stuff all the time, whether TVs or aquarium kit. BRS doesn’t make the heaters that carry their name .... frankly I wouldn’t want them to.

dank reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely agree. Brand names get slapped onto OEM stuff all the time, whether TVs or aquarium kit. BRS doesn’t make the heaters that carry their name .... frankly I wouldn’t want them to.
Same here. I'd just rather purchase the real thing.

Some rebranded stuff still holds its true to form build. I've never used a Zet light for a fuge, but for the price and being able to keep it off 1 inch off the fuge water line I just couldn't pass it up.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Refuium lights and me don’t mix well. I pre ordered the light yesterday. Hope to keep it low and out of the way and that salt splashes don’t kill it. Im actually excited for the light.

Neptune did say it had couple little changes to make it theirs but it was a rebranded product

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on the GRO NSI test team for 7 months before they announced the product yesterday. It's a good light, has a great mounting system, and my chaeto has grown extremely well with it. And I love being able to connect it to the 2-pin 24v DC Accessory port instead of wasting one of my 120v AC EnergyBar outlets. Don't let the 20 watt rating fool you...it puts out a ton of light.

Back