Neptune new release LLS

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please re-read what I posted.
It was only one sentence. Even with my ADD, it would be hard to stray with only a dozen or so words :)

I still don't get it. I have the Neptune ATK and an alarm goes over when the water covers the high sensor. Which happens pretty routinely when my 4 WAV's slow down and the water level in the sump rises. Although you would think it would be the other way around where if the pumps are pushing less water in the tank that the sump level would go down as less water is being forced down the overflow and the sump level should lower. I didn't have this issue until I went from 2 to 4 WAV's. Who knows...

Unless I disable the high sensor alarm and then add a float switch a couple inches above, I still don't know what you mean.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it tells you the fluid height at all levels, not just the set levels where you have a switch.
I was referring to his comment about simply adding a float switch and using an IO port in conjunction with my Neptune ATO high/low sensors. Not sure how that be any better than what I am currently doing.

I totally see the value in the "ruler" sensor and can think of a number of applications that would work nicely in. I'm definitely in for two or maybe three when they're available.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
... It would be great to have a sensor only go off when it hits a certain height in the sump.

@DeputyDog95

My reply to your post previously (quoted herein) was very simple.

You DO NOT need LLS to solve your problem. A simple float sensor will do just that. Just add the condition to your alarm and/or email alert and you're good to go.

Not sure where the disconnect is.

LLS will cost much more than a simple float switch and will be able to provide a whole different level of fluid level-based monitoring and/or control.

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DeputyDog95

You DO NOT need LLS to solve your problem. A simple float sensor will do just that. Just add the condition to your alarm and/or email alert and you're good to go.

LLS will cost much more than a simple float switch and will be able to provide a whole different level of fluid level-based monitoring and/or control.
Regardless of the "herein" and aforementioned comments, I think the disconnect is that you didn't explain your idea other than to simply telling me to add a float switch. I'm still not sure what condition you're referring to or how it would work. Maybe if the float switch isn't tripped then the high water sensor on the Neptune ATK should be disregarded?

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DeputyDog95

I generally agree with this. I had a chance to buy the LLS and passed on it. Cute idea but given how much people keep their sumps set up, this is probably great for you graphers but i all practicality I think it is overkill for what it is good for. Once the 'new shiny thing' feeling as worn off, this goes into set it and forget it mode.

A simple optical sensor at half the price would easily provide the appropriate warnings and indicators when you have water level issues.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After this weekend where I came down to see my return section running well over an inch higher than normal for no apparent reason, the LLS would have been amazing to see that. An inch higher doesnt warrant a float switch going off IMO and I don't want 2-3 float switches in my return section to tell me things are wrong. One simple sensor that can give me an actual measurement is perfect.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After this weekend where I came down to see my return section running well over an inch higher than normal for no apparent reason, the LLS would have been amazing to see that. An inch higher doesnt warrant a float switch going off IMO and I don't want 2-3 float switches in my return section to tell me things are wrong. One simple sensor that can give me an actual measurement is perfect.

Good observation.

danR777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Good observation.

One of my tanks use Reef Diaper filter socks.... the level of the sump is effected by it's dirtiness.... I have it rigged up now to basically give me an early warning on this.. I have like 4 optical sensors right now and this should help reduce them and make it simpler I hope...

I am also putting them on my AWC tanks... I'm thinking about also storing the aww waste water and pump it on a timer instead of directly to drain...so I can gauge how my heads are performing or detect if there is an issue with how much goes in or goes out of the tank

DeputyDog95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agreed. I think it's a great idea!

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have not. I do know extensive testing was done in a variety of liquids that will be shared either before or at the official launch.

I use both 15 and 23 inch modules and have used/tested in:

ATO
Saltwater (Tropic Marin Bio Actif)
Saltwater (sump)
Skimmer collection lid (yuckie but tested to see if the tape and/or protective cover stained - it did not)

One interesting use case I read the other day from one of the testers is that while on vacation he stopped his auto water top off. I forget the reason why but I think it was because he knew he needed to replace the dosing head but forgot before he left. So played it safe. Anyway he has this large water storage container with one of the LLS sensors in it. It is closed with the exception of one bung hole / plug. He was able to plot the evaporation rate which I thought was pretty cool. Never something I would have thought about but it is sort of a neat thing to look at when storing water be it for emergency, ato, or such with a time between use.

I think it will be really interesting to see how hobbyist use this tool. At least that is how I see it. Another tool to be used if needed.
Any chance you know the full length of the 15” LLS? Is it less than 18” total?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it is a tick under 20". Not sure if this helps. We are not allowed to cut or modify it.

Edit: Maybe not recommended - in any case the length is set is what I'm trying to say.

1662080676160.png

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like it is a tick under 20". Not sure if this helps. We are not allowed to cut or modify it.

Edit: Maybe not recommended - in any case the length is set is what I'm trying to say.

1662080676160.png
That’s exactly what I needed, thanks. My sump cabinet isn’t very tall. I was wondering if it would fit.

BitReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they eventually release a size between the 4” and 15”. That’s a pretty big jump in size that seems to leave out a lot of nano-reef applications. A 12” LLS would be perfect for me! I’d buy a couple of 12” sensors in a heartbeat

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they eventually release a size between the 4” and 15”. That’s a pretty big jump in size that seems to leave out a lot of nano-reef applications. A 12” LLS would be perfect for me! I’d buy a couple of 12” sensors in a heartbeat

If you haven't done so maybe see if you can send feedback to Neptune. I don't recall if their portal allows email or contact us but that would be great feedback. They may have a reason and think the 15" will cover the needs but maybe didn't know about people with lower height requirements.

I don't know - was just thinking out loud.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yep!

I want one in my return section and the 15" is what I have to use. It sticks up too high to look good but the 4" is too short

Although, a magnetic mount would fix this and the 4" would work fine for my needs

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers, Quick question.... Can this be used in your Kalkwasser container?
I presently have it in my ATO but the level of water in there is pretty much non changing based on the vast majority of water coming from the Kalkwasser container.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers, Quick question.... Can this be used in your Kalkwasser container?
I presently have it in my ATO but the level of water in there is pretty much non changing based on the vast majority of water coming from the Kalkwasser container.

You could send Neptune a email off their portal to confirm but I would recommend avoiding it.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
These have been available for few months now.

Important thing to note here is that while the FMM is fully compatible with the Apex Classic, it's firmware is downgraded during the "update" process which renders the LLS useless with it - go figure.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 9.1%
Back