Neptune Salinity Probe issues

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a Salinity Probe to my sump. I've followed the Apex setup step by step.

* I'm starting the calibration with probe completely dry
* I'm using the 53000 solution
* I'm using the Apex temp probe and the solution is the same temp
* the calibration is testing 35.1 in solution
* the probe cable is isolation from any Interference

Problem is it reads 31.5 in my sump water when water is 1.025 after cross checking with calibrated refractometer

I know my skimmer pump leaks a little voltage (how much, idk)

Problem.is this skimmer pump works great and it's $300 to replace. Not doing that over a very small voltage leak.

1) is a little voltage throwing a reading of 31.5 in 1.025 water?

2) any way to mitigate this voltage? I've tried a titanium grounding cable via BRS but doesn't mitigate the voltage

Last edited:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a Salinity Probe to my sump. I've followed the Apex setup step by step.

* I'm starting the calibration with probe completely dry
* I'm using the 53000 solution
* I'm using the Apex temp probe and the solution is the same temp
* the calibration is testing 35.1 in solution
* the probe cable is isolation from any Interference

Problem is it reads 31.5 in my sump water when water is 1.025 after cross checking with calibrated refractometer

I know my skimmer pump leaks a little voltage (how much, idk)

Problem.is this skimmer pump works great and it's $300 to replace. Not doing that over a very small voltage leak.

1) is a little voltage throwing a reading of 31.5 in 1.025 water?

2) any way to mitigate this voltage? I've tried a titanium grounding cable via BRS but doesn't mitigate the voltage

Leakage voltage can disturb the measurement.

Also, use a different calibration solution as the supplied ones are not always accurate.

It is trivial to make your own DIY calibration solution as shown in this article.

Mark Goode

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they're a pain in the backside. The readings seem to depend on whereabouts in the sump the probe is placed. Give the thing a wiggle about in the water and try different places in the sump until it gives a reading that isn't stupid, and use it just to see any trends. I wouldn't trust mine further than that.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they're a pain in the backside. The readings seem to depend on whereabouts in the sump the probe is placed. Give the thing a wiggle about in the water and try different places in the sump until it gives a reading that isn't stupid, and use it just to see any trends. I wouldn't trust mine further than that.
Like any precision scientific instrument they're fussy and not forgiving of error.

Salinity probes are definately not a drop in the sump and expect a perfect reading type of measurement device. Air bubbles can make them unreliable and can flow problems in the sump.

Addicted2ACRO's

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had any of the calibration fluid spill into the sump while performing calibration? I had a little fall into my sump. Are their damaging results?

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back