ATI: 1 year
Reefi: 3 year
Maxspect: 1 year
Current USA: 1 year
Reef Brite: 1 year
Red Sea: 1 year
Reef Breeders: 2 year
Aquamaxx: 1 year

1 year is the industry standard warranty.
Wow. It seems like Reefi has a very decent warranty at 3 years compared to all the others. They must be pretty confident on their light.

For a high ticket item like the Sky having only a 1 year warranty is pretty dismal standard or not.

Sorry for the double post but I can't figure out how to delete the previous one.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow. Seems like Reefi has a pretty decent warranty compared to all the others.
And at only 1 year warranty for a high ticket item isn't good IMO.
The market standard is 1 year. The question would be why do companies offer longer warranties than the market standard? For example, the EU has special laws requiring a 2 year warranty.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And at only 1 year warranty for a high ticket item isn't good IMO.

What is the warranty on your cell phone? Apple is what, 1 year limited? Lets check Samsung. Oh, what a surprise. Another 1 year limited.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The market standard is 1 year. The question would be why do companies offer longer warranties than the market standard? For example, the EU has special laws requiring a 2 year warranty.

At this point all anyone is doing is nit picking and digging for dirt. Anyone can look at the forum be it here or anywhere else and there really isn't any complaint. The only complaints are by those not even using them and opinions without substance compared to the actual feedback from users.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this has now devolved to nitpicking about warranty? Look, all my Radion G5 cases are cracked. From the factory. And EcoTech couldn’t care less about fixing it. Do we even need to mention the train wreck that’s Mobius? And I happen to like these lights otherwise...

Time will tell if the SKY stands up and how it performs with respect to the Radion and others.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It’s good to have different opinions. It is also good to understand where the market currently is. The warranty does not set an expectation for lifetime. For example, I do not believe there is compelling evidence that a Sicce SDC pump will outlast an Ecotech vectra even though one has a 5 yr warranty and the other a 1 yr.

As in all things, a longer warranty will add cost. Even if you have a perfect product, there will be cases where the installation is not to spec or accidental damage where the customer says they didn’t do it.

Also, there is no market correlation between “premium” products and warranty longer than 1 year. I had previously posted price vs wattage and price vs led count. In both cases the Sky and Radion and pretty much on the expected value line. Reefi was well below it, while Orphek and ATI were in the premium area.

LokeLucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced XR 30 Blue with New Sky on my 60 gallon cube (24 inch all around)
- less shadowing 100 % wider body so spread is more
- tank looks more appealing and natural with the light spread of sky.
- I did par test between 2 lights and can see lot of difference in par numbers with diffusers on
- XR30 with diffuser and Sky has diffuser (Sky has 10 to 15 % more par numbers)
- If XR 30 doesn't have diffuser par numbers are close to Sky
- Since Sky has diffuser fixed it is fair to compare both with diffuser.
- I can hear Radion fan noise. Sky fan noise is very very less

I still use few XR30 on my other tanks so i am not Neptune fan boy

Most of the products designed or built in North America comes with 1 year warranty and lets be honest this products dont die after 1 year lol (Ecotech, Neptune, Apple examples)

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replaced XR 30 Blue with New Sky on my 60 gallon cube (24 inch all around)
- less shadowing 100 % wider body so spread is more
- tank looks more appealing and natural with the light spread of sky.
- I did par test between 2 lights and can see lot of difference in par numbers with diffusers on
- XR30 with diffuser and Sky has diffuser (Sky has 10 to 15 % more par numbers)
- If XR 30 doesn't have diffuser par numbers are close to Sky
- Since Sky has diffuser fixed it is fair to compare both with diffuser.
- I can hear Radion fan noise. Sky fan noise is very very less

I still use few XR30 on my other tanks so i am not Neptune fan boy

Most of the products designed or built in North America comes with 1 year warranty and lets be honest this products dont die after 1 year lol (Ecotech, Neptune, Apple examples)
Thanks. These are good data points.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point all anyone is doing is nit picking and digging for dirt. Anyone can look at the forum be it here or anywhere else and there really isn't any complaint. The only complaints are by those not even using them and opinions without substance compared to the actual feedback from users.

I guess my opinion was without substance? Difference is I spend my money based on some of those opinions like quality instead of moan about things that I can’t afford.

I told Neptune my opinion on quality and did exactly as I said I would do and spent my money elsewhere. The 4 GNC Pro Blue Rays I received last week in my opinion are a quality product. 3 year warranty, passively cooled, and truly built and machined beautifully.

I was in fact I going to purchase Sky’s to compare with my Stratons on my new build, since my opinion is Neptune provided an overpriced light with toy like build quality I decided to look elsewhere.

Instead of everyone complaining- don’t spend your money with Neptune, I for one will also be replacing all of my Apex with GHL also due to the quality issues, plus my Trident that gets worse and worse by the week is just the kicker.

Neptune is losing me as a customer, speak with your wallets.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the warranty on your cell phone? Apple is what, 1 year limited? Lets check Samsung. Oh, what a surprise. Another 1 year limited.

True but phones are not made to last, they are made to be replaced and with planned obsolescence. That said, my current phone I've had for about 4 years now and it's still working fine.

I'm just saying maybe the warranty should be better for these high end LED lights. Phillips, Kessil, GHL, Reef Breeders are all offering 2 yr warranty and Reefi at 3 yr. Why can't Neptune, Ecotech, and the rest? Maybe the industry standard needs to be challenged.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my opinion was without substance? Difference is I spend my money based on some of those opinions like quality instead of moan about things that I can’t afford.

I told Neptune my opinion on quality and did exactly as I said I would do and spent my money elsewhere. The 4 GNC Pro Blue Rays I received last week in my opinion are a quality product. 3 year warranty, passively cooled, and truly built and machined beautifully.

I was in fact I going to purchase Sky’s to compare with my Stratons on my new build, since my opinion is Neptune provided an overpriced light with toy like build quality I decided to look elsewhere.

Instead of everyone complaining- don’t spend your money with Neptune, I for one will also be replacing all of my Apex with GHL also due to the quality issues, plus my Trident that gets worse and worse by the week is just the kicker.

Neptune is losing me as a customer, speak with your wallets.

I don't know what your opinion was to be honest. Did you actually own a SKY light and run it over your tank and provide the feedback to Neptune why you didn't like it? If so, then great. It is based on experience and not anecdotal accounts. See the difference? Fact vs opinion without substance.

Here is substance. The Radion G5 was launched with many forum members posting about cracked face plates and loud fan noise. Do a search here please. That is fact and substance. The vortoch launch had similar issues with a redesign. Again, search. Substance.

Edit: Just examples and we can find other products by many different manufactures.

Edit 2: You didn't own them I can see by re-reading. You own ATI Stratons. Not sure why you would even consider changing but that is another story.

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True but phones are not made to last, they are made to be replaced and with planned obsolescence. That said, my current phone I've had for about 4 years now and it's still working fine.

I'm just saying maybe the warranty should be better for these high end LED lights. Phillips, Kessil, GHL, Reef Breeders are all offering 2 yr warranty and Reefi at 3 yr. Why can't Neptune, Ecotech, and the rest? Maybe the industry standard needs to be challenged.

I disagree with you on the phone aspect. How about our display tanks? Refrigerator? TV? Stereo? Car? List goes on.

As far as your comment about challenging the status quo on warranty? Sure, one can always do that just as they can voice their opinion with their wallet. On the other hand just because a manufacture has X time on their warranty doesn't mean it is a bad product or of poor quality.

I removed Neptune from this equation is all. Of course we can disagree.

LokeLucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Neptune is losing me as a customer, speak with your w

GNC is $1199
Sky is $860 how is that pricecy?

We should comment on a product after using it in my opinion!

Black box looks ugly but it has built nice looking reef tanks over years
it's just personal choice.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what your opinion was to be honest. Did you actually own a SKY light and run it over your tank and provide the feedback to Neptune why you didn't like it? If so, then great. It is based on experience and not anecdotal accounts. See the difference? Fact vs opinion without substance.

Here is substance. The Radion G5 was launched with many forum members posting about cracked face plates and loud fan noise. Do a search here please. That is fact and substance. The vortoch launch had similar issues with a redesign. Again, search. Substance.

And what have you owned for lights? I want to make sure I can use your opinion to compare lights that you have actually owned.

Here is the lights I have owned-
G4 XR15’s
G5 XR15’s
G5 XR30’s
Orphek’s
Reefbrites
Kessil A360x’s
ATI Stratons
GNC Blue Rays to be tested next

Your opinion means nothing if you haven’t owned G5 Radions that you mention above.

Do you actually have a reef tank? I see nothing but you posting your opinion on the Sky’s

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GNC is $1199
Sky is $860 how is that pricecy?

We should comment on a product after using it in my opinion!

Black box looks ugly but it has built nice looking reef tanks over years
it's just personal choice.

I don’t disagree, I think members saying peoples opinions don’t matter is an issue.

I would rather spend more on a product that in my “opinion” is a better value based on how something is built

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what have you owned for lights? I want to make sure I can use your opinion to compare lights that you have actually owned.

Here is the lights I have owned-
G4 XR15’s
G5 XR15’s
G5 XR30’s
Orphek’s
Reefbrites
Kessil A360x’s
ATI Stratons
GNC Blue Rays to be tested next

Your opinion means nothing if you haven’t owned G5 Radions that you mention above.

Do you actually have a reef tank? I see nothing but you posting your opinion on the Sky’s

You said:

If you own the light (SKY) speak up. On the other hand if you don't and are talking about quality then it is without substance and anecdotal.

With regards to G5's - no. On the other hand one only has to read here and elsewhere to know there was quality issues at launch. Quick search yields. I know you even know this.

If you want to know what I own go back through the thread. I do own SKY's since June and have zero quality issues or concerns.

1631674375790.png

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said:

If you own the light (SKY) speak up. On the other hand if you don't and are talking about quality then it is without substance and anecdotal.

With regards to G5's - no. On the other hand one only has to read here and elsewhere to know there was quality issues at launch. Quick search yields. I know you even know this.

If you want to know what I own go back through the thread. I do own SKY's since June and have zero quality issues or concerns.

1631674375790.png

Great, let’s see them along with your tank.

All of the G5’s I owned came with cracked covers so I’m well aware.

What put me off was your comment on others opinions, people are allowed to make a decision based on their opinion of any product. My opinion is Neptune released sub par product for the price while making claims they have yet to back. I have a ton of money in Neptune products, these lights do not meet my expectations

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, let’s see them along with your tank.

All of the G5’s I owned came with cracked covers so I’m well aware.

What put me off was your comment on others opinions, people are allowed to make a decision based on their opinion of any product. My opinion is Neptune released sub par product for the price while making claims they have yet to back. I have a ton of money in Neptune products, these lights do not meet my expectations

Let's try this again. The discussion was on quality. You quoted my post which I said all anyone is doing is nit picking and digging for dirt. I also said anyone can look on the various forums and see that out of box experience for actual owners is positive. I then asked if you owned them and later reread the post to see you do not.

Your opinion is perfectly fine. Doesn't matter to me one way or another. I'm not trying to sell you a light let alone a fur coat. On the other hand the subject of poor quality so far isn't holding up and most users of the light are happy.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back