Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My First Red Sea Tank to setup

Equipment List -
Radion XR30 Blue Gen 5 * 3 Units
Octo Elite 150 Int Protein Skimmer (also have Bubble king 250 as back up)
Octo Various 8 Return Pump
Neptune COR 20 Return Pump
Royal Exclusive 75W (Will be used for UV and media reactors)
25 Watt UV
Neptune Wav * 6 Units
Neptune Flow Sensors 1 inch and 1/2 inch * 2 sets
Neptune Trident
Neptune Gro
Neptune Auto Feeder
Neptune Apex
Hydros Control 4
Hydros Wave Engine with WIFI
Hydros Control 2
Hydros Auto top off
Hydros Leak Sensor Rope
ICE CAP CO2 Scrubber
ICE CAP Algae Scrubber
Skimz CM157 Internal Calcium Reactor (this will changed)

I will use
Neptune to control and monitor - PH, Salinity, Temp, ORP, COR 20, WAV, GRO, Auto Feeder, Flow, Trident
Hydros - PH in Calcium reactor, Temp, control Maxspect flow, Various 8, Skimmer, leak detection, Icecap, heater
also RODI and salt mixing station control will be done by Hydros.

Will be replacing filter socks with Filter roller as well.
System will be SPS dominant with mostly Tang fish in there.

Will update as i go... Thank You :)

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of lights. I have 2x XR30 and 1x XR15 G5 blues on my 750XXL, and I have great coverage. I think 3x XR30 alone will probably be enough...

Just a note on the Maxpect XF 330’s: the magnets aren’t strong enough for the glass thickness on the 750XXL, and you’ll probably find the gyres slipping in the tank from where you position them. I have the same set (and issue) as backup wavemakers and are looking to get a set of RedSea ReefWave 450 magnets to get around this.

My primary wavemakers are a pair of RedSea ReefWave 450’s, and I can’t recommend them enough. They’re a lot easier to clean and maintain than the Maxpect gyres. The Wifi, scheduling and programming options are also vastly superior.

Is there a reason for a COR 20 and Varios 8 as opposed to two COR 20’s? (I assume you’re running one pump per outlet?)

OP
OP
L

LokeLucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of lights. I have 2x XR30 and 1x XR15 G5 blues on my 750XXL, and I have great coverage. I think 3x XR30 alone will probably be enough...

Just a note on the Maxpect XF 330’s: the magnets aren’t strong enough for the glass thickness on the 750XXL, and you’ll probably find the gyres slipping in the tank from where you position them. I have the same set (and issue) as backup wavemakers and are looking to get a set of RedSea ReefWave 450 magnets to get around this.

My primary wavemakers are a pair of RedSea ReefWave 450’s, and I can’t recommend them enough. They’re a lot easier to clean and maintain than the Maxpect gyres. The Wifi, scheduling and programming options are also vastly superior.

Is there a reason for a COR 20 and Varios 8 as opposed to two COR 20’s? (I assume you’re running one pump per outlet?)
I have 4 Neptune Wav as primary pumps (2 on top and 2 on bottom side walls, i will take your word and sell XF 330 's before using them up and replace with Red seas may be or something strong enough and can be controlled by Hydros. i wanted this 2 beside the overflow box on the back side.

Since i am using Neptune (Controls COR 20) and also Hydros (Controls Various 8) i am trying to keep them fail safe and each pump will run one return lines.
I will have 2 GFCI outlets for each controllers.

OP
OP
L

LokeLucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update -
Gyre XF350 purchased to replace XF330
Lights thinking of replacing Radions with 3 Sky (Already purchased Radions so debating still )

Stand Build is complete, Will move tank this weekend and level it.

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 Neptune Wav as primary pumps (2 on top and 2 on bottom side walls, i will take your word and sell XF 330 's before using them up and replace with Red seas may be or something strong enough and can be controlled by Hydros. i wanted this 2 beside the overflow box on the back side.

Since i am using Neptune (Controls COR 20) and also Hydros (Controls Various 8) i am trying to keep them fail safe and each pump will run one return lines.
I will have 2 GFCI outlets for each controllers.
I am running 3 G5 XR30s on my 750xxl. Currently thinking of adding a fourth which would be equivalent to op's setup.

OP
OP
L

LokeLucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 3 G5 XR30s on my 750xxl. Currently thinking of adding a fourth which would be equivalent to op's setup.
3 is not enough for high par? i am doing SPS so maybe i should consider getting fourth one than.
are you using diffusers? i find diffusers reduce par numbers.

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 is not enough for high par? i am doing SPS so maybe i should consider getting fourth one than.
are you using diffusers? i find diffusers reduce par numbers.
Yes using diffusers for spread. I am more concerned with shadowing in the future with colonies. Would like to add T5s or led strips but the wife dissaproves of the look.

OP
OP
L

LokeLucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes using diffusers for spread. I am more concerned with shadowing in the future with colonies. Would like to add T5s or led strips but the wife dissaproves of the look.
I changed from XR30 Blue to Sky on my 24 inch cube tank, it took care of shadowing. due to its wider body it covers more area.

your wife is right In terms of looks it's better to add 4th radion than going with t5 setup (will look bulky)

Speaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed from XR30 Blue to Sky on my 24 inch cube tank, it took care of shadowing. due to its wider body it covers more area.

your wife is right In terms of looks it's better to add 4th radion than going with t5 setup (will look bulky)
I agree, but I still think the other option will perform better. If I do it my way I'll have to suffer the wrath though .

OP
OP
L

LokeLucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how do you like the SKY, and how many did you go with on your setup? 3?
I didn't replace Radions for this build. I replaced only on my 60 gallon cube tank .

I was thinking of selling 3 Radions i have on this build with 3 Sky but selling is not easy even though lights are sealed in the box.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't replace Radions for this build. I replaced only on my 60 gallon cube tank .

I was thinking of selling 3 Radions i have on this build with 3 Sky but selling is not easy even though lights are sealed in the box.
Ah. Yeah, I hear you.

OP
OP
L

LokeLucky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got some time to move tank to its place and level it. Waiting for Caribsea shape rock to arrive.
Will fill with water and check for leaks tonight.
Here are some pictures with equipement.

Attachments

• IMG_7517 2.JPG
    IMG_7517 2.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7517.JPG
    IMG_7517.JPG
    155.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7518.JPG
    IMG_7518.JPG
    196.4 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7519.JPG
    IMG_7519.JPG
    204.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7522.JPG
    IMG_7522.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 62

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've got a similar setup. You think that UV will be enough? I was looking at the 40W but then I checked it out in person. That thing is MASSIVE so I didn't purchase it. However, I don't feel comfortable moving forward without a UV.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back