Neptune SKY LED

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Your tank looks great. The floating rock design is cool. How is it attached to the back?

I would have thought that the size would be excessive on a tank that size, but it looks perfect. The minimal amount of overspill is surprising.
Thanks Jon! Yes the bent acrylic back is attached with silicone. The illusion is that it looks like a solid structure, when it really is hollow with holes in the bottom for flow and detritus removal. The inspiration came from a Instagram reefer.

The light spill is exactly the same as the G5, so a non issue to me. Im impressed by the overall experience the Sky provides regarding hardware and software. I have only had the Sky for a few hours, but I’m REALLY digging this light. The tank is so crisp. The royal blue/blue channel during evening hours is beautiful. I’m so glad I gave this light a try. Imho, it’s a premium feel exactly on par with the G5 construction wise.

I respect everyone’s opinion sincerely, but I just feel you have to see the light in person to compare it to your previous lighting. Ill try to keep this thread updated with progress pics of my Sps Frags.

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I matched PPFD as determined by an Apogee MQ-510, using the Coral Growth for 4 hours in the morning and then All Blue in the afternoon.

I complicated it a bit more :(

I did measurements before and at each schedule point. I then swapped to the SKY's and did the same thing. The additional step was taking a sample at each Apex schedule point for each built-in spectrum :) Made it a lot easier to calculate the DLI numbers and also set a base.

My SKY's are at 50% max.

flourishofmediocrity

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I complicated it a bit more :(

I did measurements before and at each schedule point. I then swapped to the SKY's and did the same thing. The additional step was taking a sample at each Apex schedule point for each built-in spectrum :) Made it a lot easier to calculate the DLI numbers and also set a base.

My SKY's are at 50% max.
That’s really interesting. How do you do this? Is there some kind of photo period calculator somewhere?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s really interesting. How do you do this? Is there some kind of photo period calculator somewhere?

There may be but I just used the formula and Excel: DLI=PPFD x light hours per day x (3600/1000,000). Please note that I'm not an expert and assumed Google returned the proper formula :)

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hit the lock button on the top right, drag the DOS tile tile down. All mine show the measurements as well, if not @SuncrestReef call help you out-
1AE5E76A-F4E2-4AFC-835B-D5075AE41F0D.png
4A1E584C-BE66-4FE4-B109-81585E85EA40.png
Hey I don’t see ‘total dosed/ remaining/‘ ? I have this as well - i.e. how much has been dosed for the day.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard Sky's are not selling well. Anyone know the sales numbers? They're certainly not out of stock anywhere from what i can tell...

Coral Care gen 2 is $550 to $670...

ReeFi Duo $750.00, three times the warranty of a Sky...

I predict Neptune won't have a second generation LED...

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how many features being integrated with apex. I have no dog in this fight. I came from G5 blue and previously G4. I wasn’t happy with the AB+ with the new G5 and found a deal on the Sky. I’m glad I took a look at the Neptune Sky. The negative feedback is way overblown imo. The light is new, most don’t have one, and yet they are casting harsh judgment on a light they haven’t seen in person.

All lights are overpriced for what you get, period. Construction is no worse that the G5, again imo. For the price I paid, I’m willing to wait and see what Neptune does with this light. Maybe this IS the light to own since Neptune is seeing all this feedback and will make the software experience unmatched. We will see….. The preset spectrums are VERY nice. I never used green and red led’s.

There has to be something more to this. If you don’t like the light, move on and buy one you do like. Why respond to every reply with negativity? Maybe bad customer experience with your hard earned money and want to steer as many people away from it to stick it to em?

I have owned many lights, each with shortcomings. As soon as something better came out, I sold and purchased the new one. Each company’s best interest is to not lose you as a customer. Everyone is pretty much using the same led’s which we know will grow and color coral. The difference aside from cost is how good is the software user experience? Right now, I like Neptune’s software Over mobius. Not to fuel arguments, just my opinion…

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Heard Sky's are not selling well.
Data based source?

They're certainly not out of stock anywhere from what i can tell
This indicates a properly setup supply chain

Coral Care gen 2 is $550 to $670
The black version is on clearance at BRS for that (add the controller price too) The white version is still $799 at BRS. Same $799 at other retailers. BRS posted on Facebook that the clearance was due to lack of sales so they want to clear out the inventory.

For both price I have posted all of the data from ~30 lights across price points. The Sky is exactly on the industry average value line for both wattage and number of LED. It is not a premium price, it is at the average price.

I posted the same data for warranty. The industry average is 1 year.

Another baseless negative speculation. Looking at their previous development cycles, the hardware will likely not see an update for 5 yr+. They will likely release software updates to add features. For example, I would not be surprised to see a new Apex head unit released based on a new IoTa with Bluetooth inclusion. If that was the case, Sky already has the hardware.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heard Sky's are not selling well. Anyone know the sales numbers? They're certainly not out of stock anywhere from what i can tell...

Coral Care gen 2 is $550 to $670...

ReeFi Duo $750.00, three times the warranty of a Sky...

Would you like to make a wager on that prediction?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coral Care 2s are nice, but there only seems to be one option for mounting them: hanging. That kind of limits their appeal to anyone who just wants a plug and play light.

I’ve heard they’re heavy, but not sure how noisy (or quiet) and how the interface is for using them. Please note that this isn’t a review or complaint - merely an outside observation.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Coral Care 2s are nice, but there only seems to be one option for mounting them: hanging. That kind of limits their appeal to anyone who just wants a plug and play light.

I’ve heard they’re heavy, but not sure how noisy (or quiet) and how the interface is for using them. Please note that this isn’t a review or complaint - merely an outside observation.
Cc's are fanless. No noise.

chemisfun11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not intended to derail the thread, but inform. My LFS just got in the retail version of the Neptune Sky. It is not the same as the original model that was released. I know this because my prototype light spill shade did not come close to fitting. According to my source there were issues with a capacitor and cooling and the original footprint of the light had to be changed.

So, the published dimensions are inaccurate and I have to go back to the drawing board with my light spill shade design. Hopefully I can get a prototype on the current generation of retail Neptune Sky and start limiting the light spill for those that want to view their fish, corals and tank in general in comfort.

Happy Reefing!

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...The black version is on clearance at BRS for that (add the controller price too) The white version is still $799 at BRS. Same $799 at other retailers. BRS posted on Facebook that the clearance was due to lack of sales so they want to clear out the inventory....
Only because the white is out of stock, if in-stock I'd wager it would also be on clearance.

I don't for a minute think that the sole reason is a lack of sales.

What other products have they done this with, so soon after coming on the market?

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Data based source?

This indicates a properly setup supply chain

The black version is on clearance at BRS for that (add the controller price too) The white version is still $799 at BRS. Same $799 at other retailers. BRS posted on Facebook that the clearance was due to lack of sales so they want to clear out the inventory.

For both price I have posted all of the data from ~30 lights across price points. The Sky is exactly on the industry average value line for both wattage and number of LED. It is not a premium price, it is at the average price.

I posted the same data for warranty. The industry average is 1 year.

Another baseless negative speculation. Looking at their previous development cycles, the hardware will likely not see an update for 5 yr+. They will likely release software updates to add features. For example, I would not be surprised to see a new Apex head unit released based on a new IoTa with Bluetooth inclusion. If that was the case, Sky already has the hardware.
Make sure to give Neptune that weekly update on how your back is holding up...

i mean you attempt to carry a lot of water for Neptune but the Sky aint't all that popular.

One year warranty is **** and indefensible for any reef light. My prediction is my own prediction, im not speculating at all.

Just read the threads on Sky on any forum....

The common thread is people are looking for companies that make just LEDs, and offer something unique and/or less expensive, or have made LEDs for a long time and they know it works and will be reliable function snd coral growth if they're paying that coin...

Sky fails all those tests.... in the days of covid for LEDs... if in stock... it aint selling...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 61 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.2%
Back