Neptune Sky, not happy at all!

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say I fail to see a lot of the issues several poster have identified as "Problems" with the SKY lights. I am not a computer Wizz nor am I a Coral farming Wizz. I am an average Joe that enjoys the reef hobby and "MOST" of the people I meet in the hobby. I bought the new SKY lights for My 220G mixed reef that was previously lit by Kessil AP700's and T5's. I have always enjoyed a fair amount of luck and coral growth under the Kessil's.

Prior to making the change I took Par readings for the Kessil's and after installing the SKY'S I used the same apogee 510 meter to take readings on the SKY'S. The new fixtures were mounted at the same distance from the water. The SKY'S output was about 175 additional Par vs the Kessil at the same power setting. (70%)

The first thing my wife said was "Wow those new lights sure do make the aquarium look better". She is not one to make Positive comments about things I buy for the tank. Additionally, after 2 1/2 weeks the coral's seem to be gaining better color.

As for weather or not the lights will hold up long term only time will tell. I will however give them the benefit of not trashing them unless I have actual reason to do so. I personally think they are great and the price is in the same range as most of the other lights on the market.

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't think the article said anything about the SKY was a Problem. The author made several observations and gave his opinion but he really didn't bash the light. You tone makes it sound as if the article brings some shade to the light. It doesn't do that. Any of the so called issues were not based on any type long term observation of the lights performance. The things the author didn't agree with were nothing more that a personal like or dislike for the methods used. The light has also been reviewed positively by a number of people who have long term success in the hobby and have had access to the light for an extended period of testing. THAT speaks for it self

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto. Much better product, better built, cheaper, not all the hype. Not made with cheap components (I have APEX, DOS, other Neptune products). I wish there was a better marketing push on the CoralCare so people aren't getting popped on the Sky light.

MediocreAtEverything

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of $150 halides and that puppy would be purring. Skip all the BS.
The BS is all of you halide lovers who don't tolerate the reasons why people want LEDs. Nobody wants to hang space heaters over their tanks anymore. Aside from that, the reason the light is getting so much hate is because it isn't a $900 light. At $650 there would be a lot less scrutiny. It just isn't built to the quality of a AP9X, Coral care 2 or the Straton, which is the price range its in. Regarding whether it matters for coral growth its too soon to tell, but I'd rather get any of the other 3 lights if I was spending a grand on a light. At $650 Id consider getting 3 for a tank instead of having to settle for 2 of the others due to budget.

Bronx19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BS is all of you halide lovers who don't tolerate the reasons why people want LEDs. Nobody wants to hang space heaters over their tanks anymore. Aside from that, the reason the light is getting so much hate is because it isn't a $900 light. At $650 there would be a lot less scrutiny. It just isn't built to the quality of a AP9X, Coral care 2 or the Straton, which is the price range its in. Regarding whether it matters for coral growth its too soon to tell, but I'd rather get any of the other 3 lights if I was spending a grand on a light. At $650 Id consider getting 3 for a tank instead of having to settle for 2 of the others due to budget.
Never said I cant tolerate other using LED. But the OP isn't happy.

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just physics. There is a certain amount of total light. If you raise it to distribute the light, there will be less light in each small area, but the whole amount of light is the same.

I checked 9", 12" and 15". At 12" I found the best match for my particular tank setup. For a smaller tank, larger tank with multiple lights, etc it will be different. For example, in my tank I have a large branching SPS wall which shadows a monti. I wanted to raise the light to get better coverage there.
Mine are at 11” prefect coverage

OceanDiver

DEEPBLUE CURATOR
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say I fail to see a lot of the issues several poster have identified as "Problems" with the SKY lights. I am not a computer Wizz nor am I a Coral farming Wizz. I am an average Joe that enjoys the reef hobby and "MOST" of the people I meet in the hobby. I bought the new SKY lights for My 220G mixed reef that was previously lit by Kessil AP700's and T5's. I have always enjoyed a fair amount of luck and coral growth under the Kessil's.

Prior to making the change I took Par readings for the Kessil's and after installing the SKY'S I used the same apogee 510 meter to take readings on the SKY'S. The new fixtures were mounted at the same distance from the water. The SKY'S output was about 175 additional Par vs the Kessil at the same power setting. (70%)

The first thing my wife said was "Wow those new lights sure do make the aquarium look better". She is not one to make Positive comments about things I buy for the tank. Additionally, after 2 1/2 weeks the coral's seem to be gaining better color.

As for weather or not the lights will hold up long term only time will tell. I will however give them the benefit of not trashing them unless I have actual reason to do so. I personally think they are great and the price is in the same range as most of the other lights on the market.
I agree completely. I had 3 radion G4 XR30s and a hybrid T5 setup on my reefer 525. I replaced all that with two SKYs running at 60% vice 75%. Tank and growth are clearly better and my electric bill is lower. All wins

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does brs have the wholesale price on these like they do radions?

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And over a 8x3x2ft 400g sps reef how many sky are really needed? I am assuming 4-5.

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And over a 8x3x2ft 400g sps reef how many sky are really needed? I am assuming 4-5.
My tank is 8' x 36" x 30H" and I am using four SKYs running 100% power and I get great coverage and PAR numbers.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 8' x 36" x 30H" and I am using four SKYs running 100% power and I get great coverage and PAR numbers.
Awesome, how high off the water, what corals, sps,lps,mixed? Par measurements taken yet? Besides the current tank ive got a 320gal that's plumbed into the system, 8x30x2, and a couple 8x3x1 frag tanks that I need to decide how to light Most efficiently.

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say I have three SKY's over my 220 mixed reef for a couple of months now and I like them better every day. I have an Big elegance coral that we have had for several years and although it never had great color it was a nice coral and my wife picked it out so it has stayed in the tank. Since we put the SKY's on the tank the Elegance has colored up significantly over the last couple of months. Nothing else has changed except the new SKY's. There has been a color up in almost all of my corals. I also can say there is better growth on all my SPS. I have no vested interest in Neptune but I fail to understand a lot of the bashing of the SKY's. No one is forcing anyone to buy them and the price is in line with the others on the market that are in the same performance range.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LED's are over priced garbage! Another victim of hype. T5's here and couldn't be happier! :p Gold standard for a reason kids...

You kids and your fancy electricity. I've been using candle light all my life and it works well enough. You youngsters don't know what you're talking about!

Oldreefer44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved on from candles and bought 6 (only had to pay for three cause the second one was free) super police tac flashlights and hung them over my tank. You wouldn't believe the par I am getting, the coral coloration, and the fish are so happy they literally do a happy dance when I turn them on.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 65 that had two XR15 gen4 and a 4 bulb T5 setup over it and I switched it out to the Sky. What a joke this thing is. I have it 9 inches above the water line. There is a very obvious hot spot in the middle and the sides of my tank are very much darker than they ever were with the old lighting setup. I'm just not seeing the greatness in this light. I've got it running at 60% on AB+ and it honestly it looks terrible.

So you are complaining that a single light covers less area than 2 LED units and 4 t5 bulbs?

Am I missing something here or are you actually angry that using less light means you have less are lit?

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are complaining that a single light covers less area than 2 LED units and 4 t5 bulbs?

Am I missing something here or are you actually angry that using less light means you have less are lit?
I think more he complains because of their marketing claims about spread because it is what they make believe

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back