Neptune Solenoid Question

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey r2r,

I run an Avast ato thats plugged into my apex. I use the Avast peri pump to top off plugged into my eb832. I recently upgraded my rodi container to a 20 gal brute can and i would prefer not to dump 20 gal into my tank if it ever gets stuck in the on position. My thought is to put the neptune solenoid inline between the rodi container and the peri pump. The solenoid is normally closed so i think ill program it to come on just before the pump kicks on and shut off just after. Anybody doing anything similar? Hows the reliability of the solenoid? Anybody see an issue with deading the supply side of a peri pump? Any advice on programming?

Thanks!

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My main concern to this logic is if the outlet connected to your PeriPump doesn't shut off, it's because the sensor that was supposed to change states (open to closed or vise versa) didn't. Meaning that if the solenoid is triggered by the same means will not shut off either.

The better fix would be to add "Min Time XXX:XX Then OFF" to the end of your pumps code. Fill in the X's with the amount of time you want that PeriPump to stay on... if you have it set to 001:00 then the pump will only run for 1 minute and shut off no matter the state of the level sensor.

But then you have to add a way to send you a message that the sensor isn't working properly so that you can intervene and troubleshoot.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My main concern to this logic is if the outlet connected to your PeriPump doesn't shut off, it's because the sensor that was supposed to change states (open to closed or vise versa) didn't. Meaning that if the solenoid is triggered by the same means will not shut off either.

The better fix would be to add "Min Time XXX:XX Then OFF" to the end of your pumps code. Fill in the X's with the amount of time you want that PeriPump to stay on... if you have it set to 001:00 then the pump will only run for 1 minute and shut off no matter the state of the level sensor.

But then you have to add a way to send you a message that the sensor isn't working properly so that you can intervene and troubleshoot.
I do use a “when” statement in my pump code. If my pump runs longer than 40 minutes than it turns the outlet off. So im covered if my switch gets stuck. Im more concerned about stopping the pump if the physical relay in my eb832 gets stuck on...

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also, the peri pump only pumps 20ml a minute. Its very slow. 99% of the time id be able to identify thats its stuck on and intervene before it became a disaster. This is simply for that 1% of the time when im on vacation or not available to check on my tank...

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a superior solution to the concern of the frozen relay would be a simple float valve in the sump. This is far less complex than using an additional electronic moving part.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do use a “when” statement in my pump code. If my pump runs longer than 40 minutes than it turns the outlet off. So im covered if my switch gets stuck. Im more concerned about stopping the pump if the physical relay in my eb832 gets stuck on...
Makes perfect sense. Being that sensors failure is astronomically greater than outlet failure, I would advise a 2nd set of level sensors to work with the solenoid to avoid the scenario I privided.

But at what point do you stop the redundancy? I agree with @Montiman that a mechanical solution is better in this instance.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was trying to avoid the float switch just because my return chamber is small but ill give it a shot. Anybody know what happens when your using a peri pump and cut the flow off the output with a float switch? It could go 1 of 2 ways, either it just stops flow, or pressure builds at the peri tubing till the connections breaks or it burst...

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will happen in your situation is hard to say. I have had times where a dosing line got badly kinked and in my case nothing happened. The pump just kept spinning until I noticed the noise and fixed the issue. RO tubing can handle substantial pressure so a leak is unlikely IMO.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back