Neptune started acting strange today.

jeremyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today my Neptune started acting really weird, the lights for the different outlets no longer works, outlet 8 doesn't turn on and sometimes doesn't even show up in my output list, and my power monitoring is no longer working. It all seemed to happen after I updated firmware on the 832.

I checked and my Apex controller, 832, and FMM all are up to date, I've tried completely resetting my apex, and no luck. Any ideas??

Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 4.29.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 4.33.46 PM.png

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After this week's AOS update, several people have reported problems. The most common issue is one or more modules reported "Missing" even though they're still attached. The fix for that issue seems to be to unplug the module, then in Fusion go into the settings screen for that module, select Software Update, then save the changes. While it's trying to update the module, plug it back in and the update completes, bringing the module back online.

Since yours isn't reporting Missing, I'm not sure if this process will help. I'd probably try doing a normal software update to the EB832 while it's still connected, even though the version is reported as OK. This has sometimes resolved odd problems in the past.

Lastly, you should run the Clock Setup task in Fusion since you have two clocks on your dashboard. That indicates that the Apex thinks it's in a different timezone, so any programming you have based on time of day will run at the wrong time.

OP
OP
J

jeremyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After this week's AOS update, several people have reported problems. The most common issue is one or more modules reported "Missing" even though they're still attached. The fix for that issue seems to be to unplug the module, then in Fusion go into the settings screen for that module, select Software Update, then save the changes. While it's trying to update the module, plug it back in and the update completes, bringing the module back online.

Since yours isn't reporting Missing, I'm not sure if this process will help. I'd probably try doing a normal software update to the EB832 while it's still connected, even though the version is reported as OK. This has sometimes resolved odd problems in the past.

Lastly, you should run the Clock Setup task in Fusion since you have two clocks on your dashboard. That indicates that the Apex thinks it's in a different timezone, so any programming you have based on time of day will run at the wrong time.
I doubt it's a clock issue, because as a sanity check I've turned outlet's into Always on outlets, without it working. the only module I'm having issues with is the 832 power brick. I can't exactly try to update it while it's unplugged as it powers the apex controller. Is there a way to download older versions of the firmware online, without having a backup?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt it's a clock issue, because as a sanity check I've turned outlet's into Always on outlets, without it working. the only module I'm having issues with is the 832 power brick. I can't exactly try to update it while it's unplugged as it powers the apex controller. Is there a way to download older versions of the firmware online, without having a backup?
I didn't say your particular problem is a clock issue. What I meant is that because your Apex clock thinks it's in California but you're in Utah, if you ever set up any time-based programming it's not going to activate at the time you think it will. It's just a best practice to have your Apex on the correct time zone and only showing a single clock on your dashboard.

Also, as I explained above, I think you should simply run the Software Update while the EB832 is still connected because your issue is different than the people who have connected modules showing up "Missing". Just go to your list of Modules, click your EB832, select "Software Update" from the Action dropdown, then save the settings. This procedure has resolved a lot of unexplained module problems for many users. It doesn't hurt anything, so just try it to see if it help

Last edited:

DieHardPhotog-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrAfter this week's AOS update, several people have reported problems. The most common issue is one or more modules reported "Missing" even though they're still attached. The fix for that issue seems to be to unplug the module, then in Fusion go into the settings screen for that module, select Software Update, then save the changes. While it's trying to update the module, plug it back in and the update completes, bringing the module back online.

After the update, my salinity probe was changed to "disabled" so I had to enable it and add it back to the dashboard. (I hope that's the only thing that is not the same on my unit. That's a relatively mild discomfort for what it could have been so I'm extremely thankful.)

Have you heard if anyone from Neptune has addressed this situation to the public?

OP
OP
J

jeremyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New AOS update released a couple of days ago to address this. I have 2 832s so I might update one of them that has fewer critical things attached to it, and see if it resolves the buggy issues I'm seeing.

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the update, my salinity probe was changed to "disabled" so I had to enable it and add it back to the dashboard. (I hope that's the only thing that is not the same on my unit. That's a relatively mild discomfort for what it could have been so I'm extremely thankful.)

Have you heard if anyone from Neptune has addressed this situation to the public?
had the same exact problem

OP
OP
J

jeremyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've had the same issue with salinity probe after updating. Leaving all settings the same and just enabling it seems to work fine and it seems to be still calibrated correctly.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why I wait and wait to update the software. Unless you need the update wait. Neptune QA is horrible.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back