Neptune Systems COR Pump

Dipan Desai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got my pump in the mail today so excited will probably set it up this weekend.

20180116_190150.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
I also ordered a Core 15. Sadly the store which I ordered called and said they received only two of each model (15 & 20). No ETA on next shipment is unknown but should arrive before March. I didn't order from one of the major online stores but rather a smaller ma & pa shop. My guess is they received the smaller batches with the bigger retailers receiving the bulk.

I'm not in a rush and have a pump to use in the mean time. Would have liked to align proper plumbing but it isn't the end of the world. If you get the 15's up and running let us know how they are. They look promising and the 15's integration with the whole eco system that Neptune provides is nice (to save the plug).

naturalEhy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cor15 users,
Is there a way to show it on the EB832 power log? I'd like to see actual dollar cost to run it. Thanks in advance!!

Norcalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cor15 users,
Is there a way to show it on the EB832 power log? I'd like to see actual dollar cost to run it. Thanks in advance!!
There’s the option to log on the advanced tab. But then I can’t find any logs so I would say not. I’m no apex expert though. I have my pump at 47% moving just under 750gph in my 65 gallon. Apex claims my entire system only costs $8.85 a month(my electric is super cheap) so I can’t imagine it’s that much.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cor15 users,

If you have it plugged into an EB832 outlet, you can monitor or log it the same you would any other device you may have plugged in. The disadvantage of doing this is that you take up a 120V outlet, and if something catastrophic happens to the EB832, there's the remote chance that it will cut power to the return pump, whereas if you have it plugged into a wall outlet, it will continue to function, even if the Apex crashes.

Norcalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have it plugged into an EB832 outlet, you can monitor or log it the same you would any other device you may have plugged in. The disadvantage of doing this is that you take up a 120V outlet, and if something catastrophic happens to the EB832, there's the remote chance that it will cut power to the return pump, whereas if you have it plugged into a wall outlet, it will continue to function, even if the Apex crashes.
The cor15 he asked about does not have a normal wall plug. It uses I believe what they call a 1 link connection

Norcalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1 complaint about the cor15 is that it does not come with a intake screen. I run the triton method and occasionally get some macro algae that makes it to the return pump. Well the cor just sucks them right up and then it clogs my 2” flow meter. This results in a drop of 50+ gph and a inconsistent water level.

I had to order the intake screen for the ecotech L1 as I believe saw that it fits. Hopefully this will solve my only complaint. Otherwise it’s super powerful, dead silent and built like a tank. But what the heck @Terance for $300 you could include something to protect the intake. My $80 jaebo came with one

U

User1

View Badges
My 1 complaint about the cor15 is that it does not come with a intake screen. I run the triton method and occasionally get some macro algae that makes it to the return pump. Well the cor just sucks them right up and then it clogs my 2” flow meter. This results in a drop of 50+ gph and a inconsistent water level.

I had to order the intake screen for the ecotech L1 as I believe saw that it fits. Hopefully this will solve my only complaint. Otherwise it’s super powerful, dead silent and built like a tank. But what the heck @Terance for $300 you could include something to protect the intake. My $80 jaebo came with one

I tend to agree because I don't really understand that part when they include so much other stuff like unions. Maybe on oversight maybe cost. I really don't know but what I do know is that they are great little pumps. In fact, I went ahead and just ordered a 2nd to use on my skimmer. This way if something should happen I can swap out the return with the skimmer pump while I sort things out. Return pump is pretty important skimmer not so critical. Seems to make sense.

I was looking and also asked around. Few people on the forum suggested I look at the low profile bulkhead screens which look like a good option and something I'm considering. I've been traveling so not had time to put it together yet. If links are allowed here is what I'm talking about:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/low-profile-bulkhead-overflow-strainers.html

naturalEhy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The cor15 he asked about does not have a normal wall plug. It uses I believe what they call a 1 link connection

That is correct, no wall plug needed. And there is a separate read out on the ap that shows " watts, rpm, & internal temp". It looks as though the power it uses IS being calculated in my total comparison spend... I would just like to see what it is using on an individual level. No big deal. Just curious.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oops - sorry, missed that! I just did a quick check on my COR20 with a Kill-a-watt and got the following numbers. Off is with the pump completely idle so the power being consumed is entirely the power supply brick and possible the controller, 4% and 70% are the static flow and full flow settings for my system (I used these out of convenience,) and 'throttle' is full/70% flow with the ball valve closed, meaning the pump is working against 'infinite' head and no water is flowing. COR is the reading shown on the dashboard, EB832 is the power reading shown on the EB832 readout and Kill-a-watt is the reading on a kill-a-watt placed between the EB832 and the power supply for the pump.

Speed___COR__EB832____Kill-a-watt
Off______0w____10w/0.1A___6.7w/0.11A
4%______13w___21w/0.2A___17.3w/0.24A
70%_____59w___66w/0.8A___63w/0.8A
Throttle__59W___69w/0.8A___60.6w/0.77A

There is a consistent discrepancy between the Kill-a-watt readings and the EB832. I don't know what methods the two devices use to calculate power, but the EB832 was consistently reading 3-4w higher. Using the EB832 numbers, the power supply and controller appear to use about 7-10w of power. That translates to 87.6kwh per year. You'll have to plug in your electric rates to figure the cost, but in the scheme of your tank, this is going to be a trivial cost.

I don't know whether these numbers include the power draw for the controller box, since that is also plugged into and potentially powered by the aquabus. Also, the COR 15 plugs into a 1Link port and therefore uses the DC power supply of the EB832. I would assume that this is of similar efficiency to the external supply used by the COR20, but they may be different.

My 1 complaint about the cor15 is that it does not come with a intake screen....

Totally Agree! Even if they offer one sold separately it would be better than nothing at all.

U

User1

View Badges
Anyone know if I can run 2 Cor 15s off one 1 link or do I need a one link for each pump.

Not sure I understand the question 100% but I have two of them and each has a cable connection. So one for each pump.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two return pumps on my 225 looking to upgrade to 2 Cor 15 pumps. Since you need a 1 link to power them can you power 2 Cor 15 pumps off one 1 link.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IIRC The one link has a 100W power supply, so you can run as many COR pumps as you want as long as they don’t take more than 100 watts

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 78.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back