Neptune Systems COR Pump

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look what just came in the mail!

Today myself and a bunch of other Neptune Systems Insiders (Beta Testers) started receiving the COR pumps. Both COR15 and COR20s are being tested. Those with the 20s will do both Apex Connected and Standalone mode. Those with 15s are Apex only with just a single 1Link cable.

I will try to answer any question I can / allowed to. Otherwise be on the lookout for more detailed specifics from Neptune very shortly.

wyB0fwG.jpg

BkPYTPV.jpg

xsmejXI.jpg

Mg6TDe1.jpg

OXDwY60.jpg

May I get a GPH on the COR-20 ?

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
me too! Wondering how quiet it is. I hate the whine on my L1

@boozeman27 , I have an EcoTech M1 pump and they are the quietest pumps on the market and I have owned quite a few in the 25 years i have been in this hobby!
I can't speak for your L1, but if it's noisy there is something wrong with it. I would not recommend the Ecotech return DC pumps to anyone since i am going on my 3rd one in 2 years.
They only thing that they are superior in is how quiet the pump runs.

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will interesting how the cor stacks up to the M1

@David Cher - if you are looking for something better or comparable to the Ecotech M1, I decided to go with the Reef Octopus VarioS DC pump which pushes out over 2700gph VS 2000 for the M1.
I was getting sick of them breaking down on me. Been through 3 M1 in 2 years, so I thought it was time to change MFGs on pumps. This new VarioS 8 DC pump is super quiet and can't even tell it's running. I have seen the new Neptune COR run and they are quiet but they don't push a lot of flow.

TANK INFO: 150 MIXED REEF

Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 11.32.24 AM.png

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto the comments on the Varios. I had a waveline DC1000 II that was quiet but definitely had a whine to it. Replaced it with a Varios 6 and I can’t hear it at all. Another advantage of the Varios over the Ecotech is that it has. 0-10V control input, so you can control it with an Apex, Profilux, or any practically other controller on the market.

I’ve seen a couple of anecdotal reports, but we really need to see published flow-head pressure curves for the COR pumps. The zero-head flow is almost meaningless for any pump if it drops off quickly with head pressure.

One consideration with the COR is that if your Apex goes on the Fritz for any reason, you don’t have a return pump, either. Even though Apexes don’t fail often, having a critical piece of equipment like the return pump remain functional is worth a lot IMO

Last edited:
OP
OP
eschulist

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One consideration with the COR is that if your Apex goes on the Fritz for any reason, you don’t have a return pump, either. Even though Apexes don’t fail often, having a critical piece of equipment like the return pump remain functional is worth a lot IMO

This isnt true. Both Cors will continue to run if the apex disconnects. They both need to have power in either case. Its recommended to connect to Cor-20 to a non Energy Bar outlet. And the Cor-15 needs power from the Eb832 or 1link. If power is still going to either of those even without Apex control the Cors will continue to function.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isnt true. Both Cors will continue to run if the apex disconnects. They both need to have power in either case. Its recommended to connect to Cor-20 to a non Energy Bar outlet. And the Cor-15 needs power from the Eb832 or 1link. If power is still going to either of those even without Apex control the Cors will continue to function.

Hmm - I thought I remembered Terrance posting something saying they needed the Apex... I'll have to see if I can find the post. I may be remembering incorrectly.

Dipan Desai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if there is a release date for the Cor Pumps? Im getting close to needing a new one but trying to hold out for the Cor.

OP
OP
eschulist

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Release date is still unknown. There was a picture posted of a bunch of CORs sitting on a pallet getting ready to be shipped (Most likely to Neptune for packaging). Pricing was also released: COR-15 will cost $274.95 and the COR-20 will be $324.95

OP
OP
eschulist

eschulist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm - I thought I remembered Terrance posting something saying they needed the Apex... I'll have to see if I can find the post. I may be remembering incorrectly.

The Cor-20 can be setup completely without an Apex. If connected to an Apex both the Cor-15 and Cor-20 will continue to run if the Apex head unit losses connectivity.

cpeapNVl.jpg

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cor-20 can be setup completely without an Apex. If connected to an Apex both the Cor-15 and Cor-20 will continue to run if the Apex head unit losses connectivity.

cpeapNVl.jpg

Thanks - not sure what I was thinking of. Figured out what I was thinking of - in the Neptune forum, Russ states that the COR 15 must use a 1link power connection (I incorrectly generalized that to the COR-20.) Since it must use the one link I'm not sure how you could use it without the controller.

Strongly considering just going with a Varios and 0-10v...
I'd probably do that. I have a Varios and it's a great pump. Neptune has been leading people along with the COR for quite some time; they keep saying 'it's coming' but they're silent on an actual date. The other consideration is that the COR is a brand new pump, so even though they've done a fair amount of testing with it, its track record is an unknown. The Varios pumps have been out long enough to know.

It looks like @eschulist has a COR, perhaps s/he can comment on the potential advantages of a COR pump over a quality controllable 3rd party pump like the Varios.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious. I know the controller only has a handful of speeds, does the 0-10v allow you to do any speed, or just one of the preset ones?
The programming is a bit convoluted, but you specify a percent, so you can go anywhere from 0-100%. I assume the COR would let you do the same. What I did with mine was figured out what speed was just enough to keep the water from flowing back down to the sump (14% in my case.) I have the feed mode set to ramp the pump down to 14% instead of turning off. That cuts the flow without letting all the water siphon down into the sump.

Zondebok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The programming is a bit convoluted, but you specify a percent, so you can go anywhere from 0-100%. I assume the COR would let you do the same. What I did with mine was figured out what speed was just enough to keep the water from flowing back down to the sump (14% in my case.) I have the feed mode set to ramp the pump down to 14% instead of turning off. That cuts the flow without letting all the water siphon down into the sump.
All apex programming is a little convoluted...

I can probably figure it out, being a computer programmer [emoji16]

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back