Neptune Systems WAV Powerhead

chargingxray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently I have been shopping around for power heads. I have the Neptune apex wifi so the Neptune WAV pump will hook directly up to my Energy Bar 832 without any added modules, but my problem is the reviews on BRS I have seen a couple of people complain they wear out after a year of use. Is anyone out there using these with there apex and what do you think? Thanks

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't personally have the pumps but I purchased Vortec's over WAVs for exactly that reason. The Vortech's can be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned quite easily and for that last a long time.

OP
OP
chargingxray

chargingxray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't personally have the pumps but I purchased Vortec's over WAVs for exactly that reason. The Vortech's can be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned quite easily and for that last a long time.
Thanks for the input. Yes I really like the Vortect have been really looking into them but they don't like the wallet. lol Maybe someone has had success with the WAV's. With the Vortech's is it easily controlled through apex or better controlled through ecotech?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone out there using these with there apex and what do you think?

Though I favor vortech slightly, I am mostly powerhead agonistic. The vortech pumps work very well with apex though the WXM modules, so the incremental native connectivity of the WAV is nice but hardly essential. The WAV pumps do seem to have a tendency to short out. I have three of them, and one did short - though Neptune replaced it under warranty. Vortech are not without their issue too - just google magnet rusting/swelling. Vortech have a broader, more gentle flow (unless you go all the way up to the MP60); WAV a more concentrated flow. I like them both.

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using the WAVs since they first came out. Both have stopped working at some point in the last 2-3 years, but were easily replaced/repaired by Neptune under warranty without cost to me (save for shipping it out to them). I run two WAVs, two gyre xf250s and 2 Tunze 6040s in my current tank. They are a good powerhead for the cost, particularily if you already have the newer Apex.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using the WAVs since they first came out. Both have stopped working at some point in the last 2-3 years, but were easily replaced/repaired by Neptune under warranty without cost to me (save for shipping it out to them). I run two WAVs, two gyre xf250s and 2 Tunze 6040s in my current tank. They are a good powerhead for the cost, particularily if you already have the newer Apex.
Are they silent? I've never owned a vortech but so many say that they are fairly loud. My powerhead setup will be pretty similar to yours on my new tank I think. (it's going to be a reefer 650)

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they silent? I've never owned a vortech but so many say that they are fairly loud. My powerhead setup will be pretty similar to yours on my new tank I think. (it's going to be a reefer 650)

The loudest thing on my system is the fan on my ATI fixture. The WAVs are quiet for a powerhead, but the sound is dependant on your settings as well. If you have the powerhead changing intensities rapidly or cycling on/off - it doesnt matter what powerhead you use, you are going to hear it. The sound dampening system on the mount is very good though, if thats a concern. The only time I notice they are "loud" is when they need to be cleaned and have a heavy build up of coralline on the grille.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The loudest thing on my system is the fan on my ATI fixture. The WAVs are quiet for a powerhead, but the sound is dependant on your settings as well. If you have the powerhead changing intensities rapidly or cycling on/off - it doesnt matter what powerhead you use, you are going to hear it. The sound dampening system on the mount is very good though, if thats a concern. The only time I notice they are "loud" is when they need to be cleaned and have a heavy build up of coralline on the grille.
Thanks. These would likely be run at a more or less constant speed. I'm planning on needing something on the far end of the peninsula and something powerful with a small form factor will be key.

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Constant speed, or their randomly ramping modes (mavericks, malibu, rincon) are all fairly quiet. Its when you get into the "wave" functions where the propeller is turning on and off rapidly, there is some noticeable noise.

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two WAVs have been running non-stop and without any issues for the past 18 months.

OP
OP
chargingxray

chargingxray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both have stopped working at some point in the last 2-3 years, but were easily replaced/repaired by Neptune under warranty without cost to me (save for shipping it out to them). QUOTE]

Is there warranty period only 1 year from the date you buy it?

rickster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have two WAV's been running them for about 7 months , very quiet, replaced the Gyre which were noisy to me and break easily. The best feature I like is the controllability on the Fusion , much better than the controllers you get with Vortech or Gyre those to me are terrible. so far the WAV's work great, and I got ride of two power bricks as well..
Rick

OP
OP
chargingxray

chargingxray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have two WAV's been running them for about 7 months , very quiet, replaced the Gyre which were noisy to me and break easily. The best feature I like is the controllability on the Fusion , much better than the controllers you get with Vortech or Gyre those to me are terrible. so far the WAV's work great, and I got ride of two power bricks as well..
Rick

Awesome to hear. It sounds like there working out well for people glad I asked before not even considering them.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Wav user here.....no issues after about 6 months. The only downside I notice to them is they have to be kept pretty clean, or they lose a lot of their power to move water....much more than other powerheads I have used in the past.

OP
OP
chargingxray

chargingxray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Wav user here.....no issues after about 6 months. The only downside I notice to them is they have to be kept pretty clean, or they lose a lot of their power to move water....much more than other powerheads I have used in the past.

Okay good feedback thanks. I have no problem cleaning them, but just want them to last not fail so if cleaning is part of the longevity of the pump fine by me. How often are you having to clean yours?

ksfulk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes, but I have had them cover issues with the WAVs even after the warranty was over, as they had changed the prop design and gave me a new one. They replaced my last WAV this winter, and theyve been out of warranty for quite a while now.

OP
OP
chargingxray

chargingxray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I have had them cover issues with the WAVs even after the warranty was over, as they had changed the prop design and gave me a new one. They replaced my last WAV this winter, and theyve been out of warranty for quite a while now.

Well I think after hearing this Im sold. makes me happy there standing behind there product and if I can get two WAVs for just a little more then 1 MP40QD then I think after what I've heard we have a winner!!!

kswan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 WAVs for about a year now with no issues. Definitely agree that the power is noticeably reduced when they need a cleaning. Overall no complaints and very cost effective.

OP
OP
chargingxray

chargingxray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had 2 WAVs for about a year now with no issues. Definitely agree that the power is noticeably reduced when they need a cleaning. Overall no complaints and very cost effective.

Sounds like another happy WAV user :)

Back