Neptune Systems WAV Powerhead

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they silent? I've never owned a vortech but so many say that they are fairly loud. My powerhead setup will be pretty similar to yours on my new tank I think. (it's going to be a reefer 650)
I run Neptune WAVs and two MP40s on my 650P. The Ecotechs are much quieter. I get a lot of vibration and pulse/surging sounds from the WAVs if cranked up over 50% depending on the mode used. Its as if the vibration resonates in the glass. This and the cords in the water is my biggest complaint. The cords do vibrate as well on my lid to keep my fish in. Even with the cut outs for the cords on the lid. Both of my WAV's failed a couple weeks before the two year warranty expired. Roughly 1-2 weeks apart. Neptune took care of me and replaced them both.

As for my Ecotechs. I have never had any issues with either the dry side/Controller or wet side. I have over 10 MP units I have Wet sides that are 4+ years old. Routine cleaning and inspection helps. Not to mention don't drop the wet side magnets. I would say this is most likely the reason fine cracks develop allowing water to seep in causing the rust. It's possible there are some bad ones out there but I don't buy it until I see it happen personally. Also I suppose running them at 100% 24/7 may heat up the magnet housing cause them to fail with expansion.

Recently another R2R member stated his WAV pumps caused his EB832 to fail causing the entire power strip to shut down. I don't like the sound of this. I like that my Ecotechs are on an independent power source with the Ecotech backup batteries.

OP
OP
chargingxray

chargingxray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Neptune WAVs and two MP40s on my 650P. The Ecotechs are much quieter. I get a lot of vibration and pulse/surging sounds from the WAVs if cranked up over 50% depending on the mode used. Its as if the vibration resonates in the glass. This and the cords in the water is my biggest complaint. The cords do vibrate as well on my lid to keep my fish in. Even with the cut outs for the cords on the lid. Both of my WAV's failed a couple weeks before the two year warranty expired. Roughly 1-2 weeks apart. Neptune took care of me and replaced them both.

As for my Ecotechs. I have never had any issues with either the dry side/Controller or wet side. I have over 10 MP units I have Wet sides that are 4+ years old. Routine cleaning and inspection helps. Not to mention don't drop the wet side magnets. I would say this is most likely the reason fine cracks develop allowing water to seep in causing the rust. It's possible there are some bad ones out there but I don't buy it until I see it happen personally. Also I suppose running them at 100% 24/7 may heat up the magnet housing cause them to fail with expansion.

Recently another R2R member stated his WAV pumps caused his EB832 to fail causing the entire power strip to shut down. I don't like the sound of this. I like that my Ecotechs are on an independent power source with the Ecotech backup batteries.

Oh everyone makes this so hard lol sounds like there both good pumps. just so hard to pick one or the other

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay good feedback thanks. I have no problem cleaning them, but just want them to last not fail so if cleaning is part of the longevity of the pump fine by me. How often are you having to clean yours?
If I don't clean them at least twice a month, I notice a reduction in power. I usually end up slowly ramping up the speed until I clean them, at which point I bump it back down again.

OriginalUserName

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can definitely see that powering them from the bus could be either a nice benefit or a big liability.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but I have had them cover issues with the WAVs even after the warranty was over, as they had changed the prop design.

Curious what your source was for the new prop design claim?

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine over a year and really like them. I am replacing 1 with a mp40 qd so I can have a backup battery. I do find they need cleaning monthly and at first I heard a high pitch sound which is gone now. Can’t compare them to the the 40 because it’s not coming in tomorrow.

MbunaJohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 2 of them since the week they came out and never had an issue. They took a bit to get dialed in because of the focused flow, but even in a 48x20 tank I have them setup in a way that gives me a good random flow. I'm 3 weeks into vortech ownership and miss my wav's on my new aquarium. They are so versatile from a programming standpoint and you can stay as basic or get as complicated as you want. Their various wave profiles make mimicking the variety of flow you would get on a natural reef pretty simple. I have only taken them apart for cleaning once and it was relatively simple and effective. I'll have 2 of them available (they are overkill for my new tank) in the next few weeks if you're interested.

bked180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have (2) WAV pumps running non-stop for the last 21 months without any issues. I just cleaned them and the look brand new. I did just buy an MP-40 to try out. I heard the flow output on the MP- 40's is wider. If this is true I might switch. Also, the form factor and battery back-up option is a plus. Where the WAV's can't be beat is what you are getting for the price. I don't think you would go wrong with either pump.

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they silent? I've never owned a vortech but so many say that they are fairly loud. My powerhead setup will be pretty similar to yours on my new tank I think. (it's going to be a reefer 650)

I have an MP40QD & I sit right next to my tank & don't here it running at all, I have used Hydor,Maxspec & prefer the Vortec over both. I also don't have a controller but would love to get one. $$$ lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For cost VS cost, id prefer the vortex. ( They are Not Apex specific) and I do own 2016 Apex unit

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using my 2 WAV's for almost 21 months now, no issues at all. WAV's push a lot of water and I like that I can just use the 1-link built into the EB832. I have Vortechs on my other tanks, but I am not a fan of the headphone look of the dry sides. The 2 cords on the back wall for the WAV's don't bother me nearly as much as having to see the dry side of the Vortechs. Just my personal opinion and the one tank where the MP40 is on the side is being replaced soon and then it will be on the back wall.

OP
OP
chargingxray

chargingxray

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine over a year and really like them. I am replacing 1 with a mp40 qd so I can have a backup battery. I do find they need cleaning monthly and at first I heard a high pitch sound which is gone now. Can’t compare them to the the 40 because it’s not coming in tomorrow.

Let us know what you find out.

DaveRaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used 3 WAVs since they were first released. All three have had to be replaced by Neptune as they just stopped working. Didn’t cost me anything. But I did lose faith so I added 3 MP40 to the Reef. I now run 5 PHs on lower settings and keep one WAV as a back up and to blow off rocks and corals every week.

The WAVs do move some water, moreso than the MPs but I prefer the MPs. I’ve only run them since feb so the jury is out on durability. Last night I noticed an MPs just fell off the magnet and won’t stay attached so now I have that to deal with.......

In clean them every 6 weeks. Any powerhead needs a good soak and cleaning to keep them humming efficiently.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back