Neptune Trident Calcium test WAY off

stanlalee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna calcium meter reads high and I'm sure of it. At least 50ppm higher than every other test kit. I used distilled water, watched instructional videos on how to work the plunger syringe properly etc. Been collecting dust since 2 weeks after I got it.

OP
OP
D

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that, I guess I just mean you have to pick something to believe. Personally I use my trident to make sure things aren’t changing. But I don’t look at it and see 450 and believe that is exactly my calcium level. But I know it’s not 250 because my corals are happy.
That’s exactly why I wanted the trident. Was hoping to keep Calcium between 400-440 and that’s what I thought I was doing. Then I saw 317 when I first set it up and was like “huh?! what the heck?!”

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The likelihood of the two tests being exactly the same is very low. The Trident accuracy on calcium is +|-15 ppm
Hannah accuracy is +|-6%

so if the trident is on the low end of its accuracy then the real water is at 352 ppm. If the Hannah is at the high end of its accuracy, then the water is at 380. These numbers still have a spread but are more inline.

I think you could chase this all the time with salifert, API, RedSea, Hannah and the Trident.
The Trident does not claim accuracy in their specs, only precision and they are not the same. Precision is only how one reading compares to the previous, and does not tell how close they are to actual (accuracy). That is why Neptune uses precision, they probably do not want to claim actual accuracy.

CSJIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I end up getting wacky calcium test numbers at the last 10% of my reagent. What I’ve been striving for is consistent calcium. In the photo you can see where I replaced my reagents.

DE80643F-B335-4F59-B5B4-E71C811C9EB3.png

OP
OP
D

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I end up getting wacky calcium test numbers at the last 10% of my reagent. What I’ve been striving for is consistent calcium. In the photo you can see where I replaced my reagents.

DE80643F-B335-4F59-B5B4-E71C811C9EB3.png
I seem to be getting fairly consistent tests from it. You can see where I calibrated it. I just couldn’t believe how low it said my Calcium was compared to my Hanna Checker. It definitely threw me for a loop. That was before you guys told me the Hanna checker was wack.

Attachments

• 3A9BF7E1-06B4-4E5A-8CF9-54406D0184DF.png
    3A9BF7E1-06B4-4E5A-8CF9-54406D0184DF.png
    273.6 KB · Views: 53

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to be getting fairly consistent tests from it. You can see where I calibrated it. I just couldn’t believe how low it said my Calcium was compared to my Hanna Checker. It definitely threw me for a loop. That was before you guys told me the Hanna checker was wack.
I noticed your reminders in the pic. How often do you dose 5mL of iodine and for what purpose?

OP
OP
D

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wanted to give you guys an update. I purchased a Red Sea Calcium test kit and did some more testing to compare the Trident, Hanna, and Red Sea. I tested 3 times with the Red Sea kit just to make sure I was doing it correctly and consistently. Here are the results:

Red Sea 340
Trident 352
Hanna 432

So you guys were correct. The Trident seems to be correct and the Hanna Calcium checker seems to be jankie. I haven't yet tried the Hanna with distilled water like someone suggested.

OP
OP
D

Dj A-Ron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add some more interesting information.

Had some wonky test results from the Trident at midnight and today at noon. The calcium has been testing in the mid 300's with both the Trident and Red Sea kits. Last night the Trident said calcium was 509.... I figured it was just a bad test so this morning I tested using the Red Sea was 345 and the Hanna was 444. So the Red Sea and Hanna test were consistent with what they've been saying but the Trident was way different than whats been trending at.

So I waited until noon today to see what the Trident tested for Calcium. Today's Trident test said Calcium is 399.... I've gotta admit that I'm starting to lose confidence in this Trident gizmo....

The Trident Alkalinity test results were substantially lower than they've been as well. I haven't had time yet to compare against the Hanna Alkalinity checker. I will do that tonight.

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I do have the calibration fluid. However, I won’t be able to test until tomorrow night and I’ve read that it’s only good for 8 hours. I’ll test it tomorrow anyway. I thought it was a little suspect when the calibration test results were exactly what was on the bottle... I would assume if the reagent lines were pinched the calibration results would have been skewed.

I actually get pretty consistent tests from the Hanna Calcium checker. At this point I trust it more than this Trident. There is no way possible that my calcium is 328
Once in a while I get weird results when I start a new bottle. That could be it. Some of these bottles are not accurate in their reagent concentrations maybe. It happened to my Mag test once. I used another bottle out of another box and the numbers were closer to my LFSs results.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on all the electronic measures years ago. I spent more time playing with them.

Hanna checker for CA for me was completely useless, the sample is way to small for any accuracy, but nice try.

So for years I use the Hanna AlK and Phosphorus checker, all else Salifert and I could care less about PH, but employ several of the normal ways to help it stay high and stable, whatever that number is.

drbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to add some more interesting information.

Had some wonky test results from the Trident at midnight and today at noon. The calcium has been testing in the mid 300's with both the Trident and Red Sea kits. Last night the Trident said calcium was 509.... I figured it was just a bad test so this morning I tested using the Red Sea was 345 and the Hanna was 444. So the Red Sea and Hanna test were consistent with what they've been saying but the Trident was way different than whats been trending at.

So I waited until noon today to see what the Trident tested for Calcium. Today's Trident test said Calcium is 399.... I've gotta admit that I'm starting to lose confidence in this Trident gizmo....

The Trident Alkalinity test results were substantially lower than they've been as well. I haven't had time yet to compare against the Hanna Alkalinity checker. I will do that tonight.
I just find it sad that some of the Tridents (like mine) are totally accurate and others (like yours) are way off. Where is the QC? Not trying to single you out FWIW. I finally have something that works LOL.

seasand23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My trident has always been reliable based off growth in the tank. I like to keep calcium near 420. I had been tracking about there and switched out reagent B. My calcium immediately read 550 to 580 and stayed there. It has settled down to 450 but everything kept growing. I assumed the Trident was back on track. This week my coralline algae started dying in patches and the dying part is spreading. I pulled out the Hanna checker and ran it twice. Got 216 and 235. I'm now calibrating the Trident but losing faith in this. I guess I'll need to call the pros and get this professionally calibrated. Frustrating.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 93 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back