Neptune vs Hanna Checker

frankiezzway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Neptune apex system to monitor the tank. But this morning I did a test of my own with the Hanna checker I had before neptune.. and the levels ain’t even close to each other and which one would you trust.

BAD5ECE3-EEBF-4139-909A-01BB9CB099D3.jpeg D636292D-79DD-4322-A196-CE639AE3760D.jpeg A23E92F0-79B0-4D97-9887-B60929252F87.jpeg

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how long has the reagent for the hannah been open? HAs the trident been calibrated yet? I would trust the trident over hannah as ive had experiences where if the hannah reagent is at a month old its values are off.

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After you test once or twice with the trident, you should calibrate it. At least that is my experience. Everytime I change out reagents the numbers go way out of wack. After I calibrate they fall back into place. Also, I will do period checks with my hanna’s as well and the alk is always .6 higher then the trident. So keep in mind margin’s of accuracy.

harley32907

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the Trident and have you calibrated it? How old is the reagent for the Hanna?

OP
OP
F

frankiezzway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long has the reagent for the hannah been open? HAs the trident been calibrated yet? I would trust the trident over hannah as ive had experiences where if the hannah reagent is at a month old its values are off
how long has the reagent for the hannah been open? HAs the trident been calibrated yet? I would trust the trident over hannah as ive had experiences where if the hannah reagent is at a month old its values are off.
honestly the reagent been open at least 2 months and I never thought the levels would be off from the reagent but it makes sense

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you I trust Hanna for salinity over Neptune which I don’t trust at all other than a guideline to monitor, it never matches nor does it match several refractometers. I calibrate the Apex probe when I know the tank water is at 35 with the Hanna on the basis everything in the tank is happy.

Maybe get another test kit and see what that comes out as, I can recommend the NYOS ones which are very accurate to ICP tests.

Provided there isn’t major differences, these are hobby grade tests, so ultimately stability is the key so you need to commit to one or the other, I would go with Hanna or NYOS personally

Dilan Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah that would be the issue I would believe the trident over the hannah...you can get a new bottle and see the difference between the old reagent and new.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hanna alk checker measures the apex calibration solution around 1dkh higher than what's on the lable. I trust the trident over the hanna in my case.

Check the trident calibration solution with the hanna, and see what you get.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrate best you can. Comparing one test to another with hobby grade isn't going to be satisfactory unless you have a high tolerance for disparity. The key is if that disparity is consistent. If you must compare (instead of just keeping it calibrated - there's a difference), are the values consistently the same amount apart (assuming you're doing everything the same way). If your tank looks good and the numbers are acceptable - go for consistency and trending rather than any hyper accurate values between test kits.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than idle speculation, no way to know from two data points. If you’re that bothered, get a tie breaker test kit.

My own personal experience with the hanna has been pretty spotty. I’ve had significant swings based on reagent. Swapping an older reagent bottle (though not expire) moved the reading almost 1 dkh.

Try testing the trident calibration solution in the hanna and see what you get. If it’s also low, then that’ll give you some confidence that the trident is OK.

I keep my tank at 8.5 on trident, which is 7.8 on hanna. Either are in the acceptability range.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hanna alk checker measures the apex calibration solution around 1dkh higher than what's on the lable. I trust the trident over the hanna in my case.

Check the trident calibration solution with the hanna, and see what you get.
I had the exact same experience! Guess it’s time to get a third test kit?

uhupong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 different tests yield 2 different results because of different resting methods. As long as you stick with one and keep it stable,you ll be fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back