Nervous

D-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, it’s been a few weeks since I posted my Red Sea 25o reef tank I’m brand new to the hobby. I was able to save some more money, as you all know this hobby is so expensive but worthy. I purchase a various 2 return pump, aquamax skimmer, 100 watt heater, apex Neptune and probe holder. My pukani reef saver dry rocks have been curing for about 4 week. I program my apex on my tablet and iphone for my display..I haven’t hook up any equipment to the Apex yet..I took some pictures of my set up. I feel like I’m ready to add the rocks, sand and start cycling. I haven’t purchase my lights or wave pumps as of yet. What should I do from here? I’m getting close starting to get butterfly’s in my stomach
Help!!!

AECA9E2C-F7ED-4D91-AC58-82BDD39DD1D7.jpeg

4147CC15-E671-4E93-9904-3C566554E458.jpeg

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have pulled out the fire hose to fill it.:)

Great restraint. Looks like progressing on track.

Keep those pics of nice clean stuff for later. Give you incentive to keep the stuff clean and maintained.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there and welcome to R2R it’s great to have you with us!

You could maybe start designing the aquascape while it’s empty. Just make sure you show us the pictures for our approval though! Lol

And when you’ve done that you could start filling the beast

Have you invested in a RODI water system to produce your water? If so start making the water up and if you haven’t make sure you test the water quality (0 TDS) from were you getting it from

And more importantly enjoy the ride and anything your unsure of just ask

OP
OP
D-reefer

D-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, This is dreefer, I started cycling my tank a few days ago I added my rocks and sand so far so good the tank is up and running I notice some white film on the inside of the tank glass What is that? and how should I clean the white film off the glass.

Mudder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, This is dreefer, I started cycling my tank a few days ago I added my rocks and sand so far so good the tank is up and running I notice some white film on the inside of the tank glass What is that? and how should I clean the white film off the glass.

White film is it along the water line? or all the glass...should just be able to wipe it off .If its at waterline I normally use a soft sponge..if its the entire surface what ever you plan on using to remove algae from the glass in the future sure work

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it is going smoothly! I'd make my next purchases to be the powerheads. This will allow you to have water movement in the tank during the cycle. You don't need lights until after the cycle!

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, it’s been a few weeks since I posted my Red Sea 25o reef tank I’m brand new to the hobby. I was able to save some more money, as you all know this hobby is so expensive but worthy. I purchase a various 2 return pump, aquamax skimmer, 100 watt heater, apex Neptune and probe holder. My pukani reef saver dry rocks have been curing for about 4 week. I program my apex on my tablet and iphone for my display..I haven’t hook up any equipment to the Apex yet..I took some pictures of my set up. I feel like I’m ready to add the rocks, sand and start cycling. I haven’t purchase my lights or wave pumps as of yet. What should I do from here? I’m getting close starting to get butterfly’s in my stomach
Help!!!

AECA9E2C-F7ED-4D91-AC58-82BDD39DD1D7.jpeg

4147CC15-E671-4E93-9904-3C566554E458.jpeg
One thing I just noticed in your original post, a 100 watt heater sounds a little small to me for your setup. It's looking good, you may want to open up your rockwork a little to make sure you get decent flow between the rocks

OP
OP
D-reefer

D-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I just noticed in your original post, a 100 watt heater sounds a little small to me for your setup. It's looking good, you may want to open up your rockwork a little to make sure you get decent flow between the rocks

Thank you I was wondering about my heater I went out in bought a 200w heater, also opening up the rock work is great t idea.

OP
OP
D-reefer

D-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, this is my second week of cycling my parameters are the same as last week. I use API testing kit
ammonia 0.0.25
Nitrate 0.00 ppm
Nitrite 0.00 ppm
Ph 7.4
Salinity 0.023/0.024 ?
Temp is set Between 77.5 to 79.0
I’m using my reservoir top off for the first time, I haven’t use my skimmer as of yet I figure I wait for my cycling to finish, I also open up the rocks for better water flow...

4A0E2185-C59E-4D97-B922-B079BF86E40D.jpeg

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, this is my second week of cycling my parameters are the same as last week. I use API testing kit
ammonia 0.0.25
Nitrate 0.00 ppm
Nitrite 0.00 ppm
Ph 7.4
Salinity 0.023/0.024 ?
Temp is set Between 77.5 to 79.0
I’m using my reservoir top off for the first time, I haven’t use my skimmer as of yet I figure I wait for my cycling to finish, I also open up the rocks for better water flow...

4A0E2185-C59E-4D97-B922-B079BF86E40D.jpeg
The rock looks much better!

OP
OP
D-reefer

D-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone, just checking in, This is my 4 week of cycling, I see a spike in my ammonia and nitrate. I use the API test kit sometimes the colors are hard to tell which color is what. My ammonia reading is between 0,025 /0.050, my nitrate reading is between 0.025/0.50, Ph 7.4 salinity 0.23/0.024. I turn my skimmer on for the first time to break it in, it finally settle down after a day or two, I turned it back off during the cycyling process. I still haven't purchased any lights as of yet I think I'm going to wait until Red Sea release their brand new led lights in May. I'm still trying to fine tune the gurgling noise on my return box it comes and go it's not completely silent, but not real loud either, everything else is going pretty well. I think I'm on the right track.. Reefon..

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The API ammonia test often reads .025 at 0 ammonia. That is vexing. The API tests are ok for quick and dirty. But Salifert, Red Sea Pro and some of the Hanna tests will give more refined results.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 68 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back