OP
D-reefer

D-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, It’s going on week 5 of cycling, by looking at the parameters I think my tank has cycle. I haven’t purchased any lights yet waiting for Red Sea to release their led lights.
I’m not sure where to go from here, since I don’t plan to put any fish in for about another month or so, should I do a water change or just keep the tank going without a water change?

CF9DA706-75E4-4182-ADFE-ECE160561C5E.jpeg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your nitrate? If it's elevated, which is likely, a big water change would bring it down.
Once you add livestock, doing a large water change becomes more difficult.
After that, just keep everything as it will be when you start adding livestock. Including skimmer running, ATO working, etc.
Maybe add a bit of ammonium chloride or some other source of ammonia now and then for the bacterial colony.
You don't need much food to keep the bacteria, and if you eventually start adding fish slowly, won't have an ammonia spike.

OP
OP
D-reefer

D-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, It has been over a month since I last check in. I still don't have any lights at this time, hopefully by next week. I contacted two of Red Sea distributor, they both have the lights but not the arm for the lights, that's crazy, you got the light but not the arm for the lights. I'm so ready and so is my family, they keep saying "where's the fish" lol.. I hope these lights are worth waiting for. My tank Status, I think I have Diatoms in my tank there are brown ugly spots all over my rocks and I have several green spots as well. what I have been reading diatoms are very common in new tank builds. Help! what do I do? Let it take it course.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I just noticed in your original post, a 100 watt heater sounds a little small to me for your setup. It's looking good, you may want to open up your rockwork a little to make sure you get decent flow between the rocks
+1 @Mjrenz has a good point. Plus if the rock is opened up more (besides better filtration) it makes room for the fish and inverts to hide, swim through or build homes in.

Edit: I noticed you changed the aquascape since I posted this. It looks good.

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, It has been over a month since I last check in. I still don't have any lights at this time, hopefully by next week. I contacted two of Red Sea distributor, they both have the lights but not the arm for the lights, that's crazy, you got the light but not the arm for the lights. I'm so ready and so is my family, they keep saying "where's the fish" lol.. I hope these lights are worth waiting for. My tank Status, I think I have Diatoms in my tank there are brown ugly spots all over my rocks and I have several green spots as well. what I have been reading diatoms are very common in new tank builds. Help! what do I do? Let it take it course.
Welcome to the world of diatoms -- you will be there for the next few months, perhaps a year for some. But algae is always an ongoing issue that you need to stay on top of. We have an entire forum on R2R dedicated to nuisance algae. You will find lots of good information there. Invest in a flipper off of Amazon and be ready to scrape diatoms off your glass every morning. Now that you have algae you need to start on a clean up crew. Snails and hermit crabs are a good way to start. They have them at every lfs. If you have hair algae, I recommend that you find yourself a lawnmower blenny. But make sure your tank is ready and that you take your time. Do not add anything alive too quickly.

Rscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about glueing your rock at all? I might be concerned about rocks falling on stuff

Keep up the good work you are a few steps in front of me and my new tank

OP
OP
D-reefer

D-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 @Mjrenz has a good point. Plus if the rock is opened up more (besides better filtration) it makes room for the fish and inverts to hide, swim through or build homes in.

Edit: I noticed you changed the aquascape since I posted this. It looks good.
Yes Thank You
I'd go get some fish, you don't need lights for them. Leave the light on in the room during the day if it's a basement otherwise ambient light is fine.
Have you thought about glueing your rock at all? I might be concerned about rocks falling on stuff

Keep up the good work you are a few steps in front of me and my new tank
Thank you, I.m going out today to purchase some livestock

OP
OP
D-reefer

D-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Thank You

Thank you, I.m going out today to purchase some livestock
I was
I did it!! I purchase 2 clown fish 2 banggai cardinal 1 longspine urchin and 13 mexican crabs to eat up that diatom. I'm so excited I can't stop looking at the tank. (Crazy)

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was
I did it!! I purchase 2 clown fish 2 banggai cardinal 1 longspine urchin and 13 mexican crabs to eat up that diatom. I'm so excited I can't stop looking at the tank. (Crazy)
Did you put them all in the tank at the same time? While it isn't too much, but it is quite a bit to add at the same time. You don't want to overwhelm the filtration bacteria.

OP
OP
D-reefer

D-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. Excited you got some livestock. I'm sure the kids were excited to see some fish in the tank.
Yes the family were excited, my black sea urchin is hiding out in the corner of the return box it blends in with the black glass in the tank,my Banggai cardinal hanging out in the bottom back trying to find there way

9CF7FF4A-DC98-47DF-9126-8B6BB5C5CAC1.jpeg

66E50246-8BEF-41E8-B42A-1817EF7C14E1.jpeg

5317DBEB-FF2E-4A03-A0EA-C8D2AEEF638F.jpeg

CrissyCoralsGirl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a nice looking setup so far. It looks like you have done some research. My advice is continue doing what you are doing. Read and research as much as possible. Patience is key to this hobby

Neo Jeo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice :) Keep those blinds shut though, any direct sunlight is likely to feed the slightest algae problem and make it go crazy.

True. Light from that window can and will create a algae problem. Watch out ;)

Thank looks nice!

OP
OP
D-reefer

D-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a nice looking setup so far. It looks like you have done some research. My advice is continue doing what you are doing. Read and research as much as possible. Patience is key to this hobby
Thanks!

OP
OP
D-reefer

D-reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True. Light from that window can and will create a algae problem. Watch out ;)

Thank looks nice!
I’m aware of algae, From the angle of the picture it looks like the window is behind the tank, the windows are on the Side of the tank and no sunlight is hitting the tanks.. thanks for the heads up..

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White film is it along the water line? or all the glass...should just be able to wipe it off .If its at waterline I normally use a soft sponge..if its the entire surface what ever you plan on using to remove algae from the glass in the future sure work
The white film will go away, wipe it off, may come back. It's all on track

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back