Nests for lps that should be on sandbed.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, these are nothing new, but for me they are. I usually love sand, but my 40g has been nothing but a pain with sand. I have tried new live sand, old rinsed sand, etc. Algae seems to just love this sand.

Anyway. My 40g is where I keep my low flow lps guys. So, these are mostly sandbed type corals. I had to come up with a way to be able to suck up detritus off the bottom without getting in the way of the coral. I also am still working on the whole aquasculpture with this tank. It is mostly a housing tank for now.

So, I got creative. I know you can buy some of the rock plugs and such, but I am cheap and wanted to try something myself. I did buy some of the plugs from the Filter Guys and they are great for my corals that actually had plugs or where smaller.

My large lobo, cynaria, and acanthaphyllia would not work though. So, I made them.

I simply used E Marco 400. I had gotten this stuff to bind rocks together for another project. I had some left and thought. Why not create my own sculpture with it.
MArco 400.png
I made three large pots for the cynaria, lobo, and acanthephyllia. Then I made a clam holder. They were not as deep as I wanted them, but for a first try they were fine. I made the mix a bit wet, so I added some fine sand.

Sorry for the bad shots, but you can see them after I put them in. The corals are not open yet fully as I just put them in. They definitely keep them off the bottom and give them room to spread so when I vacuum they will not be damaged. Plus I can lift them easily to clean. The three are squared.
Homemade disc 1.png Homemade disc 2.png

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice job!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 30.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 59 27.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 43 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 43 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back