neutralizing tank odor

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So my wife wants to burn scented candles to get aquarium smell out of the living room. Told her no way of course. I want to buy a home air purifier that has activated carbon to neutralize the odor. Will this work? Any downsides?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A home air purifier with just a carbon filter will do just fine. Its not going to put out any kind of particulate, Works similar to a hepa filter just targeted towards smells versus allergens.

I have a small one in my room with my tanks.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my wife wants to burn scented candles to get aquarium smell out of the living room. Told her no way of course. I want to buy a home air purifier that has activated carbon to neutralize the odor. Will this work? Any downsides?
Best would be to first figure out what is causing the odor. Is it the skimmer? Or something else? An air filter with carbon should help some. But if you can identify the source, you can better target how to eliminate it.

OP
OP
Tuan’s Reef

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Best would be to first figure out what is causing the odor. Is it the skimmer? Or something else? An air filter with carbon should help some. But if you can identify the source, you can better target how to eliminate it.

Honestly, It does not smell bad at all. I can barely smell anything. She's the type the puts 5 sheets of bounce in the dryer to get the nice smell lol. She has all kinds of scented candles too. I think a purifier with just activated carbon should remove the faintest of smell

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whever my tank gets whiffy, I just change the GAC - about every 2 weeks.

clarimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 running in my living room and I dint smell anything. is it mildew you smell?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your furnace and A/C use the filter made by Filtrete, is infused with carbon so when you run your heat or A/C you will also remove odors. Sometimes I will run just the blower motor to filter the household air. This is better than buying a separate air purifier. I have been using one for the past year and does help.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here it is. Not sure if it works but I told the wife it neutralize all smells.

20220910_201424.jpg

OP
OP
Tuan’s Reef

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Its the used filter fleece that's kinda stinky.

I keep the room the tank is in really clean. This way the wife doesn't feel the need to start cleaning up with some chemicals i don't know about. She's knows not to use them around the tank, but anyone can forget myself included.

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I known it seems a little counterintuitive but what I do is removed the dirty fleece every 2-3 weeks! I pretty much eliminated the majority of the stinks by doing that.

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove ING dirty. Filters every 3 weeks does nothing for keeping fish water clean , lol, unless u feed nothing lol

Last edited:

Natural_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a combo of my spent filter fleece roll and the skimmate.

I'll look into this. Do you have one for the reef octopus 110ss ?
Remove ING dirty. Filters every 3 weeks does nothing for keeping fish water clean , lol, unless u feed nothing lol
I should have made it more clear with reference to the OP having Fleece Roller and remove the spent media every 2-3 weeks.

Back