OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some more done this weekend. I put another coat of Kilz on the inside of the canopy. I'm really anxious to get this thing on the tank, but my wife is wanting me to add a router table to our table saw (as an extension) so we can make some custom trim for it. Its probably going to look just like trim we could buy... lol But maybe not. I can't imagine we'll do much more than some roundovers, but we'll see. :) Really and truly, its a good excuse to put a router table in. I've been wanting one, anyway.

I did some other work this weekend, too. I've almost got my RODI and booster pump automated. I also cleaned the skimmer and got my new EB8 rolling, including moving the return pump to it, moving my second pump to it (that powers the 40g breeder and my biopellets), my automatic water changes are going again, and making some programming changes. Its been fun so far. Still have lots more to do today. As soon as this coffee kicks in, I'm heading to the garage. :)

Its also time to start looking at either dosing or a calcium reactor. I got my Hanna alk checker in this past week and alk is low at 6.7. Gonna have to do something about that! I'm just not sure what yet.

Brandon

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've started dosing kalk for CA and alk. I'm hoping to really start gearing up for corals soon. My biggest challenge with kalk is the pH, though. My tank usually hovers around 8.4, so if I dose too much kalk, the pH will get really high, really quickly. Ask me how I know. :mmph:

I got my first two tangs in today. :rockon: I was able to grab a whitetail bristletooth tang and a purple tang. They're both in my 40g breeder in the garage for now until I get the other two (achilles and desjardini). I may also add in a flame fin... maybe... but I'm leaning toward not. I'm not 100% sure when I'll get the other two in, but I'm extremely excited to get them in! I've been waiting on tangs for a while now. Still have lots more fish to add, also, including some more wrasses, gobies, and blennies (smaller stuff). I also added three cleaner shrimp tonight and 5 peppermint shrimp. My ultimate hope for the peppermint shrimp is for them to breed. Baby peppermint shrimp are great coral food!!! :)

I'm hoping to mount my canopy this weekend, if I can talk my wife into it. Its not completely finished, as we're wanting to make our own moulding for it, which means I have to build a router table first. :suspicious: However, I'm dying to get that thing over the tank, even without a front and without it being painted. I want my lights!!!! So I'm thinking about just doing it this weekend. We'll see if the wife agrees. :)

Here's a pic my buddy took of my whitetail:

whitetail.jpg

Love the gorgeous deep red these fish have. More pics to come. :)

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, BK! I am dying to put it in the display tank... lol

Your new one looked great, too!

Brandon

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice white tail man. I've always wanted one but could never fork out the cash for one! Hope it does well for you.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, disappointed about the blonde but, things happen.

I hear ya, man. I ordered a desjardini months ago, but they didn't even ship it out because they didn't look good. I appreciated them not sending fish in bad condition, but it was still a bummer.

Nice white tail man. I've always wanted one but could never fork out the cash for one! Hope it does well for you.

I know a guy that can hook you up... haha! I could never pay Live Aquaria's price for one ($200 to $400... eek!!!), but I was finally able to find one at a good price. Pacific East had some recently for $150, which isn't too bad, either. I'm hoping it does well! So far, so good. :) The whitetail and the purple are hanging out with one of the tiny blue hippos in the 40g for now. There are 4 tangs in a 40g... but only until Monday and two of them are smaller than clownfish. Haha!

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I've seen yet. They're all hanging out together in a corner for now, except for one of the hippos is in the opposite corner... I hope just because he wants to and not because he was chased there by either of the much larger tangs. Haha!

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized how FAT my magnificent foxface has become!

20141220_170558_zpssszif3oa.jpg

20141220_170644_zpsgcvsq4qq.jpg

I think feeding the anthias 3 times a day has really helped him bulk-up, too. Haha!

Brandon

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fatty foxy. Awesome! Good luck with all the tangs. Sounds like you're doing things in the right way!

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome fish Bueller, your fish list is going to be very nice one you get everything in.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fatty foxy. Awesome! Good luck with all the tangs. Sounds like you're doing things in the right way!

Trying to! It was really hard to not put the whitetail in the display, but I resisted... for now... :)

Awesome fish Bueller, your fish list is going to be very nice one you get everything in.

Hope so, man! That's definitely the idea!

Brandon

ToXIc

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deud!!! Loving the white tail!!!!

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, man! Me, too! I can't wait to get him in the display.

Grabbed some pics of the purple tang today, too. Please ignore the algae. :bowl:

20141221_195715.jpg

These tangs also look great. Love it!

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one small reef-related item for Christmas... a Flipper aquarium cleaner. HOLY CRAP. These things are AWESOME! If you do not have one, get one. My mag floats will be converted to other useful things (probably an algae clip... haha!). :)

I will probably soon have a new FTS thanks to the now-clean glass. Haha!

Brandon

TankedNTn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh was just telling me about The Flipper today. Looks like I'm going to have to get one of these soon.

bigmiker32

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cracking tank!! Have really enjoyed reading it from the start, when do you plan on putting the tangs into the DT?

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here Brandon!!!! The Flipper is incredible

Did you get one for Christmas, too? Or did you already have one? I will certainly be using these going forward!!!

Josh was just telling me about The Flipper today. Looks like I'm going to have to get one of these soon.

Its an awesome tool, Dave. It will pretty much scrape anything off without scratching the glass. Perfect.

Cracking tank!! Have really enjoyed reading it from the start, when do you plan on putting the tangs into the DT?

Thanks for reading! I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll be putting the tangs into the DT when I get the other two in so they all go in at once. :)

Brandon

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back