OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just have it running on a timer on the Apex. Runs for 30 minutes twice a day at a gallon an hour. I have two peristaltic pump heads on the same motor and I set them up to each move the same amount of water. If its on, its taking freshly mixed water out of the tank you see right under the pumps and placing it in the tank (right in front of the return pump) while simulaneously taking water out of the opposite area of the sump and sending it down the RO/DI drain line.

Brandon

TankedNTn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build Brandon. Don't why I haven't seen this till now but finished reading through the whole thread. Kent Tech M and peroxide took care of my Bryopsis fairly quickly.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Dave!

How did you go about it?

Also, check my new thread on the club forum about lunch next Tuesday. :)

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eBay. I purchased the motors and pump heads separately and combined them to make them do what I wanted. I have an extra motor. ;) I would recommend the 7014 pump heads as the tubing they use will fit RO/DI tubing perfectly without anything else to add, plus its a good pace for water changes at about 1g per hour with 12v on the motor I'm using.

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is doing well! I added a magnificent foxface and he is decimating the hair algae on the rocks, which is perfect. He is rather shy for now (even though he wasn't when I first got him in the tank?), but I can sit in my chair and be still for a bit and he will come out. Gotta fatten him up a bit!

Now that he has been in the tank for over a week, I'm starting to dose Tech M to try to get rid of the bryopsis in my tank. My mag is low, though, at 1140 (according to my Salifert test kit), so its going to take a LOT to raise it up to 1800 with my 220 or so gallons of water. I stopped my automatic water changes for now so I'm not taking mag out.

I'm thinking of adding more tangs soon! I also still need to finish my tank stand, get my third and final LED fixture, get my T5 supplements, install the utility sink, etc., etc., etc. The list never ends, but I enjoy it. :)

Brandon

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good, my man. I would love to have an auto water change system, just don't know how I could do it with the tank being where it is. Looks like a nice setup.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was cool to see your tank yesterday, no matter how briefly, it really is coming along. Now that you've got most of your lighting situated you can really start turning into a big bad Reef!

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. A foxfsce... that's a good idea.

I thought so, too. :)

Looking good, my man. I would love to have an auto water change system, just don't know how I could do it with the tank being where it is. Looks like a nice setup.

Thanks! Its slowly coming together.

It was cool to see your tank yesterday, no matter how briefly, it really is coming along. Now that you've got most of your lighting situated you can really start turning into a big bad Reef!

Thanks, man! That is definitely the goal. :)

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I realized I haven't had to scrape my front glass in a few days. Then it hit me... I'll bet my bio pellets are finally seeded. Perfect! I think its been about 6 weeks since I put them in, too. So with that, I'm planning on adding the rest in today, probably seeding with some Special Blend, and start feeding more heavily. I may also look into getting one of the automatic feeders for my Apex to feed while I'm at work... hmmmm...

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely is! Now I've got to get them rolling hard so they can work the way they're supposed to. :)

For some reason, I now feel like I can do everything else with my tank... add a lot more fish, get my parameters up, build the rest of my stand out, etc. :)

Brandon

Last edited:
OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha! Thanks, BK.

Next challenge: Get rid of bryopsis.

Brandon

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back