NeveSSL's 180g Mixed Reef

waynesworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Brandon just looked though this post that tank looks familiar :)

I thought i would answer the ? on this post not to hijack the other thread, I am still with the state so we can do lunch any time and not in a hurry to get back into tanks but will some time. I just moved to Shelbyville got a farm with 91 acres of land and has an old 600 foot chicken barn. We will be doing a large man cave in that and will probable have a spot for a larger tank in there. :sad: will see how much glass i can afford this time.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, good ole Glass Cages. :)

Awesome! I'm in Berry Hill. I just started recently, so it would probably be best to wait a week or two, but lets do lunch one day.

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been a while since I've updated. My new job has taken most of my attention over the last few weeks. I have lots of bryopsis and hair algae (so exciting...), but my corals are growing! The acan I got about 10 weeks ago has gone from one head to about 5! They're smaller, but quickly catching up in size to the original polyp. All of my other corals are showing noticeable growth, too, which is awesome.

I worked on my second pump and manifold today. Its going to be a little goofy looking just sticking up out of the water for now, but I don't care... I'm happy to get these things going as I'd love to get rid of this algae! :) I also ordered a gallon of Kent Tech Magnesium for the Bryopsis. It was $30, which makes it about half the price of the 16oz bottles. I feel pretty confident I won't need the whole gallon, but I'd rather not have to keep buying smaller bottles at twice the price. :)

I'm also hoping to plumb in at least one of my 40 breeders tomorrow, but I'm not 100% sure I'll get to.

I will try to do some picture updates once I beat this algae back a bit. I've not added any more fish yet, but the time is coming soon... may grab a trio of lyretails from a friend and then some tangs (finally...).

Brandon

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck on the algae battle. If ya need more magnesium I have a five gallon bucket of the BRS MAG powder...

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Ryan! I am hoping the gallon of Kent should do the trick, but you will hear from me if not. :)

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also meant to mention I tested my new ATO solution... didn't work. I'm not sure if the solenoid is faulty or what... it didn't really seem to open much, if any, when I applied 12v. I have an email in to the seller to see what they say. Its supposed to be gravity capable (some solenoids require pressure to operate correctly, and therefore cannot operate with gravity alone), but didn't work today. Hopefully the seller will have an answer for me as I've pretty much based my ATO off of this design.

Brandon

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used peroxide in areas to help with the bryopsis as well but the high mag levels really seemed to do the trick.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In what way did you use peroxide? And which mag did you use to get rid of the bryopsis? The BRS?

Brandon

schooleyosis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS mag up around 1500 ppm? Can't remember how it's measured...
For the peroxide I used it 10mL's at a time in a syringe. Shut all the pumps off, spray the roots/rocks where the major clumps were. Wait ten minutes for the bubble to disappear. Turn pumps back on and watch the bryopsis slowly turn clean and then die off the next day or so. I also did 3 days without lights to help.
There is a formula out there for how much peroxide you can use per gallon but I can't recall what it is now.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thank you for the reply. I'll do some more Googling on it, and will probably take a trip to Wal Mart, too. :)

Brandon

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had some pop up after I finally beat back that cyano I was going through. I've also got some bubble and green hair showing up. Seems that the byopsis is dying off quicker and easier than the others and I haven't done anything except letting the pellets and small amount of GFO do their things.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, BK. Does that mean you're algae issues are reducing in your tank and its coming back around?

My pellets will be running by the end of the day. :) I wish I could have had them going before now, but at least I can get them started today.

I'm hoping to raise mag, get my pellets going, and do some targeted peroxide. I have some syringes from doing Weld On, so I may even try the peroxide today just to keep things from getting too crazy. I only have a couple of clumps at the moment, but I can tell its starting to spread. Time to get some big guns out and beat it back.

Brandon

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my tank has done a 180 in the last month or so. The zoas are starting to open more consistently, acros are growing and coloring just have the green hair, bubble algae and, aiptasia to beat back. But, none of those are the concern that the cyano/dinos was.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank has done a 180? No pun intended? :D

Glad to hear its doing better, man.

Brandon

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say that the pun was intended. ;)

I've still got those things here for you whenever you want them.

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got your impeller and controller, too. :)

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol... Yes, we do. I'll send you a PM.

Brandon

OP
OP
NeveSSL

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I have AWC (auto water changes)!!! Sweet! Gonna start at 1g per day for now. May up it a bit later, but that should work for now I think.

IMG_20140621_180841073_zpsdznzta6w.jpg

Brandon

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back