New 120g Plumbing Recommendations

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kdocimo90
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kdocimo90

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 27, 2009
Messages
151
Reaction score
4
Location
Stamford, CT
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to be setting up a 120g cornerflow tank for my brother. The plumbing kit that comes with the tank includes a 1" drain and 1" return bulkheads (same size??)

We plan on using a Mag 9.5 for a return pump (3/4" threading). What do you guys recommend I do? Leave the drain at 1" and reduce the return bulk head to 3/4"?
 
Last edited:
I would go with 1" all the way around. Step up out put of rtn pump to 1" so you can keep flow up. I did this with my mag 18. I used sched 20 since it does have a larger id than sced 40. Sced 40 is easier to get but why do we need such high press rated when we dont deal with press. If you go larger than 1" then sced 40 is all you can get. 1" sced 40 has an id of 1" sched 20 1" has an id of almost 1 3/16" as you can see almost a 1/4" bigger.
 
I just PM'd you a link to the overflow kits I used with for my 120 with 1" predrilled holes. They have an extra universal 1" bulkhead in kit that is reduced to 3/4, I run a mag 12 on mine. Not sure I could post links to other sites on here.
 
I just PM'd you a link to the overflow kits I used with for my 120 with 1" predrilled holes. They have an extra universal 1" bulkhead in kit that is reduced to 3/4, I run a mag 12 on mine. Not sure I could post links to other sites on here.

Thanks; I replied back.

Any additional opinions anyone?
 
Would a 3/4 bulkhead seal a 1" bulkhead hole properly?

I would leave the both at 1" and just put an adapter on the pump exit.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 7 21.9%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 28.1%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new