New 150G build looking for advice

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All - just bought a new house and started to plan for my dream 150G tank. This will be an upgrade to my current 30G mixed reef. Since i'm making the jump from a small tank i did quite a bit of research but I'd appreciate your inputs on my current plan below in terms of the equipment

1) Lighting - 3 orphik icon - my mixed reef is 50% acro so will want to hit 400 - 250 Par top to bottom. Is this overkill or not enough? Tank dimesion is the standard 5 x 2 x 2.

2) Skimmer - Reef Oct Regal 150 INT

3) Return Pump - will have a 70G sump/fuge in the basement, approx 10 - 13ft of head pressure. is 1 Vectra L2 enough? Really don't want to shell out $$ for a Abyzz200a unless necessary. I'm not looking for a ton of turnover out of the pump - 3x is enough. Most of the flow will come from the Neros. I don't want AC pumps b/c of the noise concern b/c my home office is next to the maintenance room in the basement.

4) flow - 2 Nero 5s

5) Fuge light - kessil H380

6) heaters - 250W x 2

7) Cooler - a 1/4 hp chiller - is this necessary? i live in central NJ.

8) UV - 40W Aqua Ultraviolet

9) Apex Controller with 3x DOS. (Alk/CA/redsea abcd) and ATO kit. For the Apex ATO i'm seeing mixed reviews - worth the concern or should i go for a stand-alone Tunze osmolator 3155?

10) Electrical - i'm having an electrician come in next week for a consult but with the above equip at max i'm looking at 16amp! (factor in things like DT/Fuge light, heater/cooler will run on opposite sch) - is that normal? Anyone with similar set ups run a dedicated circuit or plug to the existing?

Anything i'm missing? Brand/options for the equipment are not set in stone for now but i do want to get a pretty good estimate of the total wattage for the electrician consult next week so want to check if i'm forgetting any big ticket power-draw items.

Thanks everyone. appreciate your inputs.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like you a well put together list
Only thing I dont see which will depend on amount /type coral is a doser unit. A controller such as Apex unit will be handy also

OP
OP
D

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you a well put together list
Only thing I dont see which will depend on amount /type coral is a doser unit. A controller such as Apex unit will be handy also
Thank - i got 3x DOS for apex, 6 heads - for alk/ca and 4 trace from RS ABCD.
He mentioned apex. What company are you going with for the tank?
Was looking at the the WB Infinia 215 but its so far backordered that now i'm looking to have it custom - either glass cage or CTC. leaning towards CTC b/c they are in NJ but def pricy so still a toss-up between CTC or Glass cage.

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those WB infinias are sweet. I guess they got tired about everybody talking about their stands. Lots of people go with glass cages. Whatever you choose I bet it’ll look sweet!

OP
OP
D

Dkmoo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those WB infinias are sweet. I guess they got tired about everybody talking about their stands. Lots of people go with glass cages. Whatever you choose I bet it’ll look sweet!
Thank - i'll start a new build thread once this thing materializes...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back