New 180 gal tank stock suggestions, lionfish is a must

Gilly916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys,

i currently have a 75 peaceful reef tank and its doing pretty well. i have a 180-gallon tank that's about to be finished cycling soon and I'm trying to figure out good stock options. i definitely want a lionfish at some point but i am not that knowledgeable on what species there is, or which one would be best for me. i also don't know what order i should stock the tank in. there is currently a one spot fox face rabbitfish that outgrew my 75 gallon so i thought i would move him over first. but other than that i don't know if i should wait awhile before i get the lion or if i would be okay to get him relatively early into the new tank, obviously while monitoring nutrients. i am also real interested in getting an eel, maybe snowflake? but im open for other suggestions. the only reason i say snowflake is because i don't really know any other great options. thats pretty much where i am to start. i might try to throw some coral in there but i have an idea what i cant have if i get angels too and thats alright.

i appreciate all the help. I've been looking and it seems like @lion king knows your fair share so i would really appreciate your input.

thanks.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The volitan is the best lion for a larger tank, this would also include the russels or miles. You will have choices of the pebbletooth eels, a fang tooth eel is not recommended with a lion. The most common available pebbletooth eels wil be the snowflake, chainlink, skelator, zebra , and banded. You can click my name and find all threads for a ton of info on lions and eels, as well as other predatory fish. Here's a couple to get you started.

OP
OP
G

Gilly916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The volitan is the best lion for a larger tank, this would also include the russels or miles. You will have choices of the pebbletooth eels, a fang tooth eel is not recommended with a lion. The most common available pebbletooth eels wil be the snowflake, chainlink, skelator, zebra , and banded. You can click my name and find all threads for a ton of info on lions and eels, as well as other predatory fish. Here's a couple to get you started.

thanks a lot man, ill take a look

OP
OP
G

Gilly916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Do you think a pufferfish would be okay with the lion? Either dwarf or full size? I’ve been seeing mixed answers. I was thinking a dogface, spike, or porcupine puffer. Or if you have another suggestion I’m all ears

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a pufferfish would be okay with the lion? Either dwarf or full size? I’ve been seeing mixed answers. I was thinking a dogface, spike, or porcupine puffer. Or if you have another suggestion I’m all ears

The dogface yes, I don't recommend the porc because they are notorious nippers. Porcs get more aggressive as they mature and many times become problematic with lions in the long run. I've kept a dogface in 3 of my tanks with volitans over many years with no issues, my personal favorite. When you say spike puffer, are you referring to a spiny box puffer. Not as nippy as the porc, but not as laid back as the dogface. Spiny box can also be difficult to feed and many have a hard time with long term success.

OP
OP
G

Gilly916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay then dogface puffer it is! my wife wanted that one anyway so shell be happy about that lol i appreciate the quick response. how did you get into lion fish so much? from what i can see you really are the lion king on the internet and have the most reliable information out there. it is incredibly helpful.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back