New 2 Reefing

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be certain to get your build thread started (with pictures). We want to see that 150. Welcome to the group! You will love it here!
Deadpool.gif

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point, I would go to you Local Fish Store (LFS) and look at the fish andand cor they have. Figure out which ones you like most, write down their names, and go home and research them. You can then weed out species that might not fit with your tank, or each other as well since there are some colorful, yet pretty agressive fish and corals out there.

The light you have now is going to be your main limiting factor. It is not the strongest light on the market and is more suited for a fish-only reef or non-photosynthetic corals.

You made a good choice by coming here first though, if I had it to do over again, I would have started by getting on R2R and reading everything I could before even buying my first tank. Good luck with your reef keeping journey! :)

^^^OP, you won't find any more solid, sound advice than this.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a gyre in the past, love those a lot. they move and you can dial them in. Plus they are less expensive.
I have two gyre flow pumps on my 210. They are fantastic. I bought them over the holidays so I got a really good deal on them during all the sales. You have to buy one with a controller (more expensive) then you can add the second one (less expensive) without the controller if you like and just plug it in to the first.

Chavin20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm Dale and I'm new to the hobby. I would like to pick the minds of a lot of you readers. I have most of the equipment to start my tank but I would like to have everything needed to be successful.
I have 150 gallon tank with stand. 40 gallon eshopp sump and protien skimmer. Fluval led lighting...and this is where my equipment ends. Please help...thanks in advance

Hello Dale and welcome. You've come to the right place.

You will need
- one or two heaters (depending where you are);
- I see your sump came with filter sock holder, so get some, they will have keep your water clear for debris;
- Return pump;
- circular pump/power head/wave maker
- live/dry rock;
- sand or bare bottom;
- If those bulkhead are used, I would get new ones.

Later on down the road;
- Controller (Neptune Apex, etc.)
- Dosing pump.

That is all I can think for now. Others will charm in.

Back