New 2 Reefing

Dale Lones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I'm Dale and I'm new to the hobby. I would like to pick the minds of a lot of you readers. I have most of the equipment to start my tank but I would like to have everything needed to be successful.
I have 150 gallon tank with stand. 40 gallon eshopp sump and protien skimmer. Fluval led lighting...and this is where my equipment ends. Please help...thanks in advance

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! :D You came to the right place!

What kind of tank are you trying to set up, coral reef, fish only with live rock (FOWLR), or a predator tank?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
257145F8-50A8-4AE1-BAE7-FCA1626D25C0.gif

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Keep us posted with your build with a ton of photos!

I always go big with skimmers and I am partial to large ASM skimmers.

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the site. IMO, lighting and flow are your two largest things first off to plan. I am not familiar with the lighting you have, but with the flow on that size tank, you are going to want something adjustable and strong. Adjustable is nice so you can work with feed modes and dial it back when you start moving coral around. I am a big fan of the EcoTech lines and use them on my 110. That said, they are a lot of great options that are tried and proven.

I know its vague, but it really is down to your budget, look wanted and overall final plans. Check out anyone's build thread and we usually post what equipment we purchase in the first couple posts. Lots of opinions and different ways to do it. I went with the MP series flow pumps because i like have the wires on the outside, but they are expensive and you cant aim them. I used a gyre in the past, love those a lot. they move and you can dial them in. Plus they are less expensive.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking corals and a few fish...live rock
At this point, I would go to you Local Fish Store (LFS) and look at the fish and coral they have. Figure out which ones you like most, write down their names, and go home and research them. You can then weed out species that might not fit with your tank, or each other as well since there are some colorful, yet pretty agressive fish and corals out there.

The light you have now is going to be your main limiting factor. It is not the strongest light on the market and is more suited for a fish-only reef or non-photosynthetic corals.

You made a good choice by coming here first though, if I had it to do over again, I would have started by getting on R2R and reading everything I could before even buying my first tank. Good luck with your reef keeping journey! :)

Last edited:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back