OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t dealt with cyano yet (knock on wood haha) so I don’t have any experience to help. But would a UV in the display temporally help kill off? I do kno cyano usually comes after Dino’s
This system does have have a uv..but not really effective for cyano.

Moose.Jy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read your thread! You've worked so hard! I'm sure you'll get through this!
I'm to new to the hobby to understand alot but I do know.... ORANGE IS MY FAVORITE COLOR!!!! I love your plumbing and sump color scheme lol.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read your thread! You've worked so hard! I'm sure you'll get through this!
I'm to new to the hobby to understand alot but I do know.... ORANGE IS MY FAVORITE COLOR!!!! I love your plumbing and sump color scheme lol.
Thanks sooooo much. Its very much a work in progress.

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always known you in the anemone section as the guy with the purple mag. Now I see you have BTA's in there too! (Colorado's, I think I read in your thread). Couple of things:

1. have you experienced any type of "chemical warfare" between the magnifica and the BTA's? Looks like things were going great for you until the cyano came. I'm thinking of adding a BTA to my tank with has a mag, but worried that one would decline after a few months.

2. You add chemicclean to take care of the cyano, but then you get dinos. Have you tried raising the temperature to kill off the dinos? I haven't tried it myself, but from what I read, ppl get great results.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always known you in the anemone section as the guy with the purple mag. Now I see you have BTA's in there too! (Colorado's, I think I read in your thread). Couple of things:

1. have you experienced any type of "chemical warfare" between the magnifica and the BTA's? Looks like things were going great for you until the cyano came. I'm thinking of adding a BTA to my tank with has a mag, but worried that one would decline after a few months.

2. You add chemicclean to take care of the cyano, but then you get dinos. Have you tried raising the temperature to kill off the dinos? I haven't tried it myself, but from what I read, ppl get great results.
1. Hey! Thank you for following this frustrating and rewarding journey! Yes i have both the Colorado BTA as well as my infamous Magnifica. Im certain there was chemical warfare at the beginning although its anecdotal. I keep carbon in my system which i believe helps.

2. Regarding dino....it all started with cyano. I decided to treat with chemiclean and my gift for using that as you mentioned was dino. UV cleared them in a matter of days...so im dino free, but still dealing with cyano. My cyano issue will be one that i will have to fix naturally. I learned a lesson using chemicals... im good for now. I just received my ICP test back and it was good...makes sense, outside of cyano my tank is doing really well.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey family.... latest observation dealing with cyano. This stuff is the F...king worse. I have seriously thought about rebooting my tank because of it.....then I quickly think of the investment, time and how far I've come.......so that's not an option. Anyway....I've been continuing the regiment of using Korallen-Zucht branded products (Cyano Clean, Coral Snow, Zeozym, and Zeobak). I do believe these products work....sorta. Initially I was using Cyano clean, then started using cyano clean with coral snow.... for my tank- bad idea. It appears to make the cyano worse..... like thick velvet mats worse. I didn't think much of it until I noticed the following morning after dosing that combo how fresh the cyano looked.

Using cyano clean alone (using daily since 05/05/21)... I hadn't noticed any major change... I do know that it does take time however. The break through for me is using ZEOzym + Zeobak every couple of days seems to make an impact... a slow one...I just notice the cyano doesn't look "fresh" if anything its losing it color and not spreading as fast.

So I have stopped using the coral snow and use cyano clean everyday + Zeozym and Zeobak every two days.

The journey continues......

FYI before anyone make any silly comments about reefing and having patience...... Ive been in the hobby for more than a decade and have been dealing with this issue since 11/2020. This is the worse cyano problem i have ever DEALT with.

Last edited:

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey family.... latest observation dealing with cyano. This stuff is the F...king worse. I have seriously thought about rebooting my tank because of it.....then I quickly think of the investment, time and how far I've come.......so that's not an option. Anyway....I've been continuing the regiment of using Korallen-Zucht branded products (Cyano Clean, Coral Snow, Zeozym, and Zeobak). I do believe these products work....sorta. Initially I was using Cyano clean, then started using cyano clean with coral snow.... for my tank- bad idea. It appears to make the cyano worse..... like thick velvet mats worse. I didn't think much of it until I noticed the following morning after dosing that combo how fresh the cyano looked.

Using cyano clean alone (using daily since 05/05/21)... I hadn't noticed any major change... I do know that it does take time however. The break through for me is using ZEOzym + Zeobak every couple of days seems to make an impact... a slow one...I just notice the cyano doesn't look "fresh" if anything its losing it color and not spreading as fast.

So I have stopped using the coral snow and use cyano clean everyday + Zeozym and Zeobak every two days.

The journey continues......

FYI before anyone make any silly comments about reefing and having patience...... Ive been in the hobby for more than a decade and have been dealing with this issue since 11/2020. This is the worse cyano problem i have ever DEALT with.
I applaud your persistence!! Hopefully you've found a solution that will get it over with finally!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day family. You know I swear my tank gives me signs to push harder. This past weekend while working on my cyano treatment I made the following observation...when I saw this i grabbed my phone immediately and recorded this:

TexAgReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good day family. You know I swear my tank gives me signs to push harder. This past weekend while working on my cyano treatment I made the following observation...when I saw this i grabbed my phone immediately and recorded this:

Are those eggs they're guarding?? Awesome!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Family!!! Its been soooo long! I apologize, just been dealing with a lot of personal issues (I have a very sick father). I appreciate the messages though!

Update on my tank... its going well. Yes im still dealing with cyano, but believe it on not its is improving....just takes a while. I also bought myself a bday gift and that's been keeping me really really busy!!! Lol

1629843250035.png

1629843297150.png

My Mag is doing amazing....it has finally made a full recovery and is back to normal after dealing with dino's.... and no i haven't had them again, it literally took it this long to go back to normal. Another reason i would only recommend them to advanced aquarist. Overall the tank is maturing nicely, the water even smells like the ocean. Any way family...im here, im well....just really busy. Ill post pix of the tank soon!!

Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro I was wondering, I will definitely keep your dad and your family in my prayers!!

Glad to hear the tank is on the up and up.. keep on pushing, I know it will be amazing, total faith in you dude!!

Ps…. You done got fancy huh???

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bro I was wondering, I will definitely keep your dad and your family in my prayers!!

Glad to hear the tank is on the up and up.. keep on pushing, I know it will be amazing, total faith in you dude!!

Ps…. You done got fancy huh???
Lol thanks brother!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Family... so i decided to take just a few pix a few minutes ago. Some folks are concerned about my tank. Happy to report the tank is doing better... and i think i may be on the right path to finally closing the cyano chapter.

Here are the products that i have used with little to no stress on the fish or corals and appear to do well against cyano if you have patience. I will tell you this is not an over night treatment but it does appear to be working.

1. Cyano clean - works great just not alone
2. Zeobak - same as cyano clean
3. A- Balance - my local store recommend this stuff with cyano clean... i agree!
4. Zeozym

Every day i dose cyano clean
Every other day i dose Zeozym with Zeobak (Only time i dose Zeobak) and cyano clean together. I usually start the mix in the evening and dose the following morning (it needs to sit 6-8 hours). Dose a few hours before the lights come on...it will cloud your water for a few hours...fyi.
Every 10 days i dose A balance. I started seeing massive improvements after adding A balance to the mix. I think i would have beaten this stuff already if i stayed persistent, however its hard when your tank looks like trash...lol.

Anyway the good news... corals are surprisingly doing well and growth has been pretty good. Side note.... flow is SUPER important! I had a professor (marine biologist) give me tons of compliments on my tank...despite the cyano issue he complimented the growth patterns of the coral...expressing my flow did a fantastic job replicating nature well based on the corals growth patterns. That was some major motivation and so here we are.

This is my milli colony- the growth patterns has stayed pretty much the same despite how large it is now.... kinda hard to appreciate in pix

Today: This coral is now about 8 inches long and about 6 -7 inches wide
1631374575178.png

1631374756077.png

Same coral this past December:
1631374707455.png

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back