New 305 Gallon Build

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey family quick evening/am update.... the skimmer is kicking some serious butt! It is pulling the darkest, smellest, crap i think ive ever seen...not being dramatic either. Im used of tea colored skimmate, this RE is pulling dark coffee colored skimmate. I went from emptying the skimmer cup once a week to every couple of days. I have also stopped dosing zeozym, and some of the other bacteria to combat the cyano.... and yet the cyano still appears to be receding.... ill keep you guys updated.

I recieved my icp test and like i thought.... phosphate deficient. My hanna, according to the icp test is off by a few tenths. Im now dosing close to 3ml of day of phosphorus....based on my hanna test im at .05, but according to my icp test the hanna is off as mentioned earlier, a few tenths...which means my corals are starving. Im bumping the dosage and go from there. Pay attention to your tank folks....

Here is the link to my latest icp test
Dump that skimmate back into the tank lol would help with low phosphate

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is looking better folks.... i think my hypothesis is correct. Still dealing with lack of phosphate... so ive upped the dosage yet again.

The Mag is also doing really well. The colors are really getting dialed in....and its big! More than 12 inches in diameter.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is starting to improve... so i decided to take a little video... you can see the growth of some of the corals.

Caught this just before lights out...

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats up family. Just another update.....

Tank is looking better, although there are patches of cyano...I hypothesized DOC as the culprit...so far my theory appears to be correct. Since adding the new skimmer, alot of the nasties are starting to go away. Still early, but im happy with the results so far. Here is a short clip of the tank as of this morning (For scale, the tank is just over 6 foot long. The mag nem is over a foot wide and the yellowish milli colony is the size of plate)

FYI, i am aware of dead branches on some of the coral....another update coming soon!

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Family, another quick update:

Kinda bummed, i lost one of my pyramid butterfly fish... not sure what happened. It started looking weird a few weeks ago, moved it to the fuge where it lived for another week before dying.

Good news is cyano is still slowly dying but getting better. Corals are really coloring up now and the green slimers have simply taken off. Mag is getting huge!

Parameters:

PH: 8.45 - 8.5
Alk: 7.44
Cal: 430
Mag: 1350
Salinity: 1.026
Phos: .09 (Dosing 8ML per day)
Nitrate: 11.6 (Dosing 18ML per day)

Last edited:

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Family, another quick update:

Kinda bummed, i lost one of my pyramid butterfly fish... not sure what happened. It started looking weird a few weeks ago, moved it to the fuge where it lived for another week before dying.

Good news is cyano is still slowly dying but getting better. Corals are really coloring up now and the green slimers have simply taken off. Mag is getting huge!

Parameters:

PH: 8.45 - 8.5
Alk: 7.44
Cal: 430
Mag: 1350
Salinity: 1.026
Phos: .09 (Dosing 8ML per day)
Nitrate: 11.6 (Dosing 18ML per day)
Glad to hear things are turning around. What settings did you go with for your Icon’s?

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run all channels at peak 40% and channels 1,3,4 at 55%...ramp up and then down, but nothing more than those percentages.

wow, I like to ask to compare what I’m running since we have a similar size tank, I’m running 6 Icons and running much hotter

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same ball park, mine are mounted 14inches and I also have supplemental lighting from the 2 kessil a500X (85%) and the a360x (85%). I peak just over 500 par in the middle, when the lights peak for the day.
300-450 for the sticks, mounted at 16 inches though

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey family... just another update. Kinda embarrassed from the number of setbacks I've had with this build. I think I'm on a solid path, corals are coloring up in ways i didn't think possible. So for now, I'm in a good place. Let's keep it that way.

P.S. The Mag is getting so big!!!

1662301799338.png

Last edited:

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag looks good! I've been playing some of the same games you have with bottomed out NO3 and PO4....I'm dosing both. I'm currently running a 40 breeder with a 20L sump, and this is toughest tank to get dialed in that I've ever had.
Still working on getting the right levels dialed in for NO3/PO4, but I'm getting closer....
You're system is beautiful brother...keep it up.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag looks good! I've been playing some of the same games you have with bottomed out NO3 and PO4....I'm dosing both. I'm currently running a 40 breeder with a 20L sump, and this is toughest tank to get dialed in that I've ever had.
Still working on getting the right levels dialed in for NO3/PO4, but I'm getting closer....
You're system is beautiful brother...keep it up.
Thanks bro! And oh boy i know about the nitrate and phos game....im getting close to getting it dialed in.... im at the point where i can look at my alk and determine if i need to dose more phos. Will say either its getting easier or im getting used of the day to day

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefing family, couldn't sleep so i decided to post a video of my reef from earlier today. Other than a very huge magnificent sea anemone, reef is well and growing

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefing family.. just another update. We have major growth!! To the point where i needed to frag some pieces and move things around. The tank is filling out nicely. Sorry about the video quality...not very good at it... you get the picture or the video....lol

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back