New 305 Gallon Build

schaNYC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just curious.. instead of dosing to make the water dirtier, have you considered, running your skimmer for shortened schedule/fuge lights on for less hrs?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious.. instead of dosing to make the water dirtier, have you considered, running your skimmer for shortened schedule/fuge lights on for less hrs?
Skimmer is a no go because of PH stability. I have tried experimenting with the fuge and for the same reasons as previous, it does make an impact on the PH. I do believe i have everything dialed in. Dosing 42ML of sodium nitrates keeps me at a stable 5PPM of nitrate (I think its slowly climbing but we will see). Dosing between 4.6 -5.1ML of Phosphorus keeps me where i need to be on phosphate .02-.04.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i decided to catalog my par reading of my reef at noon when the lights peak. Below are the results (Sorry for bad hand writing, not so easy writing on a table screen). The small text in the middle right are 397 and 394 respectively. End result no where in the tank does the par go below 305 unless at the very edges.

1589045517410.png

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Family, happy holiday weekend! Here is my end of the month update. Reef is going pretty well, no more RTN/STN... lack of available nutrients appear to have been the culprit. Dialing in the nitrate was/ is easy. 42ML of Sodium nitrate gets me to 3ppm constant. For those that are dealing with the same issue or curious, I mix a 50g packet of food grade sodium nitrate to 1liter of RODI water.

1590342107669.png

As for Phosphate...i was dosing ATI Phosphorous, which works very well. I no longer need to dose as my phosphate was elevated. So much so i needed to run a phosphate remover...i have stopped as of today, curious to see what the levels are in a few days.

Here is the latest:
With Lens filter
1590342358248.png

Without:
1590342456973.png

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Family, happy holiday weekend! Here is my end of the month update. Reef is going pretty well, no more RTN/STN... lack of available nutrients appear to have been the culprit. Dialing in the nitrate was/ is easy. 42ML of Sodium nitrate gets me to 3ppm constant. For those that are dealing with the same issue or curious, I mix a 50g packet of food grade sodium nitrate to 1liter of RODI water.

1590342107669.png

As for Phosphate...i was dosing ATI Phosphorous, which works very well. I no longer need to dose as my phosphate was elevated. So much so i needed to run a phosphate remover...i have stopped as of today, curious to see what the levels are in a few days.

Here is the latest:
With Lens filter
1590342358248.png

Without:
1590342456973.png
Awesome build. Quick question...what brand of ball valve did you use? And what caused the leak in the manifold. I am about to plumb my first tank and also first time ever dealing with pvc also.

Thanks

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build. Quick question...what brand of ball valve did you use? And what caused the leak in the manifold. I am about to plumb my first tank and also first time ever dealing with pvc also.

Thanks
Hey! Thanks for following along. For the ball valve, i used true union...easy to turn and heard great things about them. No issue thus far. This was my 1st time plumbing a tank as well, take your time! do as many dry fits as you can...no that when you apply glue, the pvc does move further in the joint than when not glued. That mis-calculation caused stress on the seams which is why they leaked. I had to cut the bad plumbing out and redo it all...no fun. Plan for the future when you create your manifold....give yourself extra ports even if you never use them...

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Thanks for following along. For the ball valve, i used true union...easy to turn and heard great things about them. No issue thus far. This was my 1st time plumbing a tank as well, take your time! do as many dry fits as you can...no that when you apply glue, the pvc does move further in the joint than when not glued. That mis-calculation caused stress on the seams which is why they leaked. I had to cut the bad plumbing out and redo it all...no fun. Plan for the future when you create your manifold....give yourself extra ports even if you never use them...
Thanks. Do you remember the brand of ball valve that you used?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through everything--sweet build. What kind of hinges are you using on the canopy to hold the face up?
Well 1st thanks for reading through at this point 7 pages of my build thread! Thank you for tagging along. And sorry for the delay! Please see attached pix below

1599362126681.png

1599362158845.png

Zotmurse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build. How is it going with the nitrates/phos? I got a little over zealous with my GFO a couple months ago and ended up with dinos... Nutrient export systems are too efficient these days. I agree with skimming + fuge to stabilize pH. Do you run carbon on your tank?

Wen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1590342107669.png

Here is the latest:
With Lens filter
1590342358248.png

Without:
1590342456973.png
Really enjoyed reading your build thread!
Well done and thank you for sharing.

What lens filter are you using? I like it.

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really enjoyed reading your build thread!
Well done and thank you for sharing.

What lens filter are you using? I like it.
Thank you @Wen, i dont use a filter but the pro setting on my Samsung smart phone. I still have so much work to do..... i want to be in the same conversation as some of the reef gods here! So my goal is to let the tank inspire others as well as document the journey so hopefully other aquarist can avoid my mistakes.

Zotmurse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks brother! Updates coming soon, finally on the other side of a major tin contamination issue which took a toll on some of my colonies.
What was the source of the tin?

OP
OP
Sdot

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome build. How is it going with the nitrates/phos? I got a little over zealous with my GFO a couple months ago and ended up with dinos... Nutrient export systems are too efficient these days. I agree with skimming + fuge to stabilize pH. Do you run carbon on your tank?
Hey thanks brother! The dosing is going well....i do not dose phosphate any more as i get what i need from the fish food. Im back up to dosing 20ML per day on the nitrates and so far that keeps me at 5ppm according to my Nyos test kit. I test every few days. You can see in the last month how little my nitrate fluctuate compared to my Phosphate.

1599570379952.png

Hanna ULR Phosphorous readings for the last month:

1599570481077.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back