New 40 Gallon Breeder... Which ATI Fixture????

Which ATI Sunpower

• Total voters

JDK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting a new 40 gallon breeder and would love some advice...... Dimensions are 36X18X17

I would like to grow some sps mid to high up in the tank with chalices, acans, zoas around the bottom and edges. Maybe a clam in the center of the tank.

I am set on getting an ATI Sunpower fixture but confused over which size.

ATI 4X24
ATI 6X24

ATI 4X36
ATI 6X36

Last edited:

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 36 inch 6 bulb on mine, i just switched over to LED's. you can get away with any of the fixtures you listed. butt if it was me, id go for hte 6 bulb, 36 inch

OP
OP
J

JDK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a 36 inch 6 bulb on mine, i just switched over to LED's. you can get away with any of the fixtures you listed. butt if it was me, id go for hte 6 bulb, 36 inch

With a 40g breeder being shallow would that fixture be ok for chalices and acans on the bottom? Afraid of melting them

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never had chalices so I cant say for sure with them. Acans, Mine were fine. You can always just get the 36 inch fixture, and only run 4 bulbs, instead of 6, and if you feel you need more light, well plug in the other 2 bulbs.

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could buy mine so I have anymore thoughts going threw my head about another tank :) lolc

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 x 39w. Yes, you can have chalices as long as they're not getting the full blast of the T5. I think it all depends on how you scape your tank.

solitude127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 thing to consider is that if you go with a 6x39w unit, you'll have to raise the light about 8" in order keep the PAR down. With the lights raised that hi, you'll get a lot of light spillage(unless you're going to put it in a hood) which could be a problem if your tank is near a couch or something. I personally run a 48" fixture on a 60" tank and can keep low light SPS off to the side. I still have to hide my chalices in the shade on the sides because my PAR values in the 150s.

creefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solitude has a great point. If I had it to do over again I think I would have done 6 x 24w. You will get spillage as he stated.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
J

JDK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 thing to consider is that if you go with a 6x39w unit, you'll have to raise the light about 8" in order keep the PAR down. With the lights raised that hi, you'll get a lot of light spillage(unless you're going to put it in a hood) which could be a problem if your tank is near a couch or something. I personally run a 48" fixture on a 60" tank and can keep low light SPS off to the side. I still have to hide my chalices in the shade on the sides because my PAR values in the 150s.

I have PMd some people with 40 breeders and ATI fixtures and the majority of them are leaning the same way as you. With the shallowness of the 40 a 36" six bulb would have to pretty high up and would spill out quite a bit. If I go 6x24" I can raise up a little and still get full coverage. I am not looking to have SPS in every corner of the tank.

OP
OP
J

JDK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the tank layout I am thinking. Idea is to have the rockwork sloped from back to front and the front 1/3 of the tank open sand. The light will also be rearward in the tank to allow lower par up front on the sand bed and higher par towards the rear where the sloping rock work will be.

sfxgg3.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 41.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back