New 500 gallon (through and through) build in Dallas

darrendh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new house is still under construction, but the stand is in and the tank is being made. We won't install the tank itself until after sheetrock (about three weeks) from now. I've plumbed a 3/4 PEX line through the foundation for a vertical 150g water storage tank in the garage. We'll have an RO/DI filter out there and have the ability to mix salt and pump directly into the tank. Under the tank itself, we also have a drain so I can do water changes without any buckets or hoses. We've run a separate 20a circuit for the tank so it's isolated and there shouldn't be any worries about tripping breakers. Ventilation has been installed so we're able to pull or push air into both the tank canopy cavities and eliminate heat and moisture buildup.

The over dimensions of the tank are going to be 130" x 29" x 30"

Since LED's are changing so rapidly and we're almost nine months into construction, I didn't make an initial decision on what to go with. I'm doing a fowlr, so I don't need $5k worth of LED's but if there is a low cost LED alternative, that would be my preference. Filtration is something I'm still working through as I'm not completely sure the layout of the sump and if I want to go with a big bio-ball chamber or 'fuge or combination of things. We have the room, so a six foot wide filter isn't out of the question.

I tried to do as much pre planning as I could for the things I couldn't easily change later, but hopefully I didn't mis too much.

-- Pictures to follow

OP
OP
D

darrendh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg
image.jpg

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. I'm doing a fowlr, so I don't need $5k worth of LED's but if there is a low cost LED alternative, that would be my preference.
ocean revive makes great leds for a very very reasonable price....great lights too. I have them and love them as do many others on here. They are a supporter on here as well so you can get great info on them.... just my two shiny cents

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can't wait to see this progress!

OP
OP
D

darrendh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
500 gallon tank going in...

Tank went in this morning and the canopy is supposed to be mounted tomorrow. It took six guys and three carts to get this in the house. Pretty soon, we'll need to go to the State Fair to win a goldfish to put in it.
Tank1.jpg

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow!! That is going to be an awesome tank!! Look forward to your progress! :)

TUSI

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow that is a dream for any reefer. I'm curious who built he tank for you. It might be to late but you should seal the wood floor under the tank just in case of moisture. Can't wait for more pictures

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like that going to be a awesome tank but i would not go with cheap leds. You are investing lots of money so go with the best equipment you can buy. You will not be sorry in the long run.

OP
OP
D

darrendh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DAS, out of Dallas built the tank and we designed the space based off the maximum length they could cut a single piece of glass. Since we didn't exactly know what we were doing with the tank (during the planning stage) we had the foundation poured with three feet of reinforced concrete under the tank and out, two feet, on all sides. Underneath the tank, it's sitting directly on concrete, so we shouldn't have any moisture issues. The base of the tank also is sitting in a 'tub' of poly, just in the event there are a few (or twenty) errant gallons of water.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back