OP
D

darrendh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lighting is nothing fancy but LED and works quite nicely. I also put additional strip LED lighting above it that is color change so when the regular lights go out, I can turn on the others and decide what color light might look fun during the parties we have. I can also make the tank look like a disco nightmare with flashing colors. Hopefully none of the fish ever break out and decide to kill me for this :(

2014-05-17 17.13.22.jpg
2014-05-17 17.13.38.jpg

OP
OP
D

darrendh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some new pictures of the tank itself. We're trying to figure out what we'll add next; I'm thinking a big zebra moray an angel and coris wrasse.

2014-05-17 17.11.03.jpg
2014-05-17 17.11.06.jpg
2014-05-17 17.12.47.jpg

OP
OP
D

darrendh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update...the bottom of the tank cracked at 4:00 am and it's toast. The fish store is taking it down and the manufacturer is sending someone over to figure out what happened.

Needless to say, I've already been told they are going to build a new tank and probably a stand.

monkiboy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
wow, really sorry to hear that. did you catch it in time to secure the bit of livestock you did have in there? was damage significant to your home's flooring and surrounding area or very slow leak and able to act? sounds like you were up or were alerted to know the exact time it happened. keep us up to date and thanks for the update. hopefully there's a lesson or two here we can learn to avoid similar issues. thanks for sharing the wonderful with the predicaments to make it a well-rounded experience.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow awesome tank!

gtbarsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update...the bottom of the tank cracked at 4:00 am and it's toast. The fish store is taking it down and the manufacturer is sending someone over to figure out what happened.

Needless to say, I've already been told they are going to build a new tank and probably a stand.

Wow, really sorry to hear that, hopefully you were able to save some of it and control the damage. Ether something flexed in the stand or floor, or the glass was not supported correctly. What was put between the metal stand and the tank?

I am in the process of designing an new house and part of those plans includes a 200-250 gallon tank. Besides insuring the structure can handle the weight, I am working a water tight "pan" in to the area that the tank will be over and a floor drain. That way if something leaks I am covered, and I'll have the perfect place to put a leak sensor.

I hate to think what that much water could do to anyone's home.

Good luck and let us know how things are going.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree !

Not to change this thread, but I'm also planning making a bladder for my reef. I will build inside the stand, with plywood that resembles a low angle trapezoid, lined with epdm rubber (roofing & pond rubber) with a 2" drain, then connect to the house drain in the basement. Should, work great. I've never had a large flood, but I'm **** tired of even small tank leaks, or overflowing sump & skimmers ? :der:

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow, I'm so sorry to hear that that beautiful tank cracked :( hopefully, you'll be able to figure out what happened in case it was some sort of structural thing with the stand. You have a beautiful home btw - keep us updated

saduran86

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear that, you had a very beautiful tank! I'm glad the manufacturer is building you another tank. Please keep us updated.

OP
OP
D

darrendh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It turned out that one of the steel supports was a bit high and one of the sections of glass on the base was put under pressure and cracked. DAS was able to come out and repair it without having to rebuild the whole thing. Everyone is back home and happy as little clams.

OP
OP
D

darrendh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS - North Dallas Aquarium had an emergency line and the guys showed up bright and early. They tore everything down and took the fish to the store, where they were kept for a couple weeks while everything was repaired.

OP
OP
D

darrendh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had one, but unfortunately the leak occurred in the base glass and migrated along the underside - between the glass and plywood 'pad' and leaked outside the tank perimeter.

OP
OP
D

darrendh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The LFS is taking care of everything. Dallas North Aquarium is amazing and truly a world class shop. All three managers spend the entire day here overseeing the teardown and fix. They didn't hesitate to get everything taken care of and are the only place I would recommend using in the D/FW area. This is my second tank, from them, and this proves why I do business with them.

OP
OP
D

darrendh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All's fine on the western front

Everything has been working smoothly, with the exception of a large lunar wrasse that keeps eating any member of a cleanup crew that gets put in the tank. This causes me to have to brush all the rock work every month - about a two hour process - so the next opportunity I have to catch him, he's going back to the store.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read thru your build :popcorn:... WOW! Beautiful house and tank - then read the posts about the cracked glass :shocked:... You are lucky to have such a responsive and supportive LFS. We would love to see some updated pics of your tank...

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back