New 55g setup

Jamesjr305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm doing a similar setup using a 55g as my main tank 20g sump 30g refugium I have a coralife super skimmer 125. What size return pump do I need.

FiltracionCompleto.jpg

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting design. If you don't mind, I'd make one suggestion for a change. Rather than splitting the one return pump to feed the refugium and display tank, just add an extra small pump for the refugium...
Alternative Proposed.jpg

The only thing with your current design is that it will recirculate a good portion of the water coming back to the sump from the refugium. The alternative I propose isn't a perfect solution, but if you use a separate pump to feed the refugium, and direct the return of the refugium to the intake of the return pump, it will recirculate a lot less. The added benefit is that your return pump can be rated for the exact turnover you want and you don't have to figure out how much is lost by splitting it to the refugium. The turnover for your display tank should be 3-5 times the water volume, or in your case 150 to 250 GPH at the head height to your DT. Really you could even go with a much stronger pump up to mayby 10 times the volume, it's really up to you. Overall it's a more efficient way to go and it only really adds the one extra pump (but simplifies the plumbing). Just my opinion and suggestion.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with the above. I'll just add that whatever your overflow is rated for, your return pump should be that or below it. So figure out how much water your want to turn over and get an overflow and pump that matches that need.

OP
OP
Jamesjr305

Jamesjr305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that do make sense. I'm building this saltwater system for the first time. Always kept freshwater fish. I also have 2 rio plus 1700 powerheads & 2 aqua clear 20 pwrheads. Would that be enough to keep coral & fish

OP
OP
Jamesjr305

Jamesjr305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting design. If you don't mind, I'd make one suggestion for a change. Rather than splitting the one return pump to feed the refugium and display tank, just add an extra small pump for the refugium...
Alternative Proposed.jpg

The only thing with your current design is that it will recirculate a good portion of the water coming back to the sump from the refugium. The alternative I propose isn't a perfect solution, but if you use a separate pump to feed the refugium, and direct the return of the refugium to the intake of the return pump, it will recirculate a lot less. The added benefit is that your return pump can be rated for the exact turnover you want and you don't have to figure out how much is lost by splitting it to the refugium. The turnover for your display tank should be 3-5 times the water volume, or in your case 150 to 250 GPH at the head height to your DT. Really you could even go with a much stronger pump up to mayby 10 times the volume, it's really up to you. Overall it's a more efficient way to go and it only really adds the one extra pump (but simplifies the plumbing). Just my opinion and suggestion.
Thanks

OP
OP
Jamesjr305

Jamesjr305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized that my rio pumps are versatile so well be using one of them for the main tank return and the smaller one for the refugium. However my rio pumps 650 GPH is that overkill does have a valve to adjust

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that would work. Though hopefully some others that are more plumbing design inclined will be able to give more input.

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized that my rio pumps are versatile so well be using one of them for the main tank return and the smaller one for the refugium. However my rio pumps 650 GPH is that overkill does have a valve to adjust
That GPH rating is the maximum flow right at the pump. As you pump higher and through more pipe and fittings that will go down, sometimes way down.
This chart is from Rio, you can see the 642 GPH pump drops to about 350 GPH at only 4' of height. So if your return outlet is 4' above the pump that would be all the flow you would get. Even less if there are any elbows or bends in the pipe. That pump should be fine wide open.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1445333493.086086.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back