New 60cm Cube

mattitheowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Guys,

I've just invested in a new 60cm cube reef tank as an upgrade to my Fluval Evo AIO. I've had the Evo for 15 months and all has gone well. Currently just have a pair of clowns, scooter blenny, Malu anemone and various LPS and soft corals.

So I'm looking for advice on the set up for the 60 cube. I've currently just bought the aquarium and sump so need ideas for lighting, skimmer, wave maker(s) and in particular sump set up and configuration as this is totally new to me. It's an evolution aqua aquarium if that helps with any advice.

Also if anyone can give me some stocking tips with regards to what might make some nice new tank mates to the current crew.

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All kinds of options for lighting on a tank that size, since the footprint is almost exactly what most single 90-165-ish watt lights are meant for. Kessil 360, XR15, Viparspectra. Pick literally anything that fits your budget. That size is also perfect for a 24" LED/T5 hybrid light.

Which sump did you get? It's a small footprint to work with, so how much space you have will be the limiting factor on the gear down below.

Check out the cube build threads, you'll get tons of ideas there!

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that size skimmer chamber you'll be mostly limited to space saving models.

Tip: you'll get more people offering suggestions if you go to the site, download the sump images and post them here, including the conversion from mm to inches. Lots of people willing to help, but no one wants to do your research for you.

OP
OP
M

mattitheowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the sump in question:
1582477232061.png
1582477240313.png

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At that volume you'll want a pump that can push just about 300gph at the given height. A sicce syncra 2.0 would be a good AC choice. If you look at others don't forget to check into their flow chart since they pump less water the higher it has to go.

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a really nice setup!!

I myself have a 600mm cube. My sump design is very similar to that just reverse direction and I have no partition between skimmer and refuge. I run a bubble magus curve 5 on my setup. I tried doing a refugium on my system and it never kicked off well so I would suggest not trying to do a fuge till maybe later down the line if you have nutrient issues. Keep it simple.

For lighting I run 2 hydra 26s (non-hd) to ensure good coverage over the tank and for my SPS. Remember with a tank this size you will likely have a spire type rock work and later on you will get shading in the corners with a single fixture like an XR15 or hydra 26 (hence why I run 2).

Looking at the sump it looks like you may be able to get a filter roller into the first chamber (skimmer section) and then put the skimmer into the second section (refugium/reactor section). And then head off to the return chamber obviously. Looking at it like that, is what I would do.

Looking forward to see this build progress, will be following along!

OP
OP
M

mattitheowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a really nice setup!!

I myself have a 600mm cube. My sump design is very similar to that just reverse direction and I have no partition between skimmer and refuge. I run a bubble magus curve 5 on my setup. I tried doing a refugium on my system and it never kicked off well so I would suggest not trying to do a fuge till maybe later down the line if you have nutrient issues. Keep it simple.

For lighting I run 2 hydra 26s (non-hd) to ensure good coverage over the tank and for my SPS. Remember with a tank this size you will likely have a spire type rock work and later on you will get shading in the corners with a single fixture like an XR15 or hydra 26 (hence why I run 2).

Looking at the sump it looks like you may be able to get a filter roller into the first chamber (skimmer section) and then put the skimmer into the second section (refugium/reactor section). And then head off to the return chamber obviously. Looking at it like that, is what I would do.

Looking forward to see this build progress, will be following along!

I'll try and document the build. I managed to get some nice looking pre-shaped rock work in a sale at a local shop today. It's kind of -H- shaped. Two towers with 3 levels of shelves on each. I plonked it in a 60cube in the shop and it looked really nice.

I'll most likely be staying LPS and am looking at either Maxspect Ethereal or AI Hydra 32HD. If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to know.

Alemoki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try and document the build. I managed to get some nice looking pre-shaped rock work in a sale at a local shop today. It's kind of -H- shaped. Two towers with 3 levels of shelves on each. I plonked it in a 60cube in the shop and it looked really nice.

I'll most likely be staying LPS and am looking at either Maxspect Ethereal or AI Hydra 32HD. If anyone has any thoughts I'd love to know.
Have no experience with the maxspect, but can recommend AI lighting. My LPS thrive under mine even though they are the older gen. Would love to get my hands on the new gens if I had the cash.

Post pics of the rock work when you get a chance!

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's going to look great in a cube!

How dense/heavy is it? It looks great, but I'm wondering how much surface area it really has, it doesn't look terribly porus. If you get the opportunity next time you're at the store, see if there's any dry reef rock and lift a good sized chunk of it, you should find it deceptively light, because of how porus it is.

You may need to supplement it with some pieces of reef rock to have sufficient biofiltration.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mattitheowl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's going to look great in a cube!

How dense/heavy is it? It looks great, but I'm wondering how much surface area it really has, it doesn't look terribly porus. If you get the opportunity next time you're at the store, see if there's any dry reef rock and lift a good sized chunk of it, you should find it deceptively light, because of how porus it is.

You may need to supplement it with some pieces of reef rock to have sufficient biofiltration.

Thanks for the tip. It is quite heavy (I'd guess maybe 5kg). My idea was that that would be the centre piece and I'll also stick some other smaller bits of dry rock in there too.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back