New 80 gallon Oceanic tank

lisa.gregory11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm excited to say we are getting good readings on our 5 week old aquarium. We have 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 80 nitrates before water change ph of 8.0. I'm going to take a sample to the lfs Sunday to see if they agree as this guy has been a trusted place for over 40 years in our area. Then I can finally add fish. Lights were only on for the picture. Will eventually add corals also but starting with fish right now. Looking at a goby, wrasse, or a pair of clowns to start.

20210114_211052_HDR.jpg

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I might wait a bit on the goby...they feed by cleaning the sand so waiting a while will allow the sand to develop more nutritional substance for them. You can definitely add them now, but just make sure they are eating whatever your feeding.

OP
OP
lisa.gregory11

lisa.gregory11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys. I'm new so I don't know what happened here. I did a water change and gave it 24 hours before I retested to ensure I did enough to drop the nitrates into a safe zone and now my Nitrites and nitrates are elevated again like I dosed ammonia or something. I have no idea what's up. I know I'm not using the best salt so I'm told as I'm using instant ocean sea salt which since getting I have read a lot of bad news in these groups on it. Is it possible the salt has ammonia in it causing issues with my tank ?

OP
OP
lisa.gregory11

lisa.gregory11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I checked my Phosphates (0.25), Calcium (520), KH(9), Nitrates (40), Nitrites (0), Ammonia (0), PH 8.0, Temp (80.2) I did not add any calcium so my guess is it's the salt. Now that my tank is cycled and everything is looking good and within a safe range I am going fish shopping this week. Temp is a bit higher today because for the first time in two weeks the weather has warmed up so I turned my heater down a bit.

OP
OP
lisa.gregory11

lisa.gregory11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210225_170631_HDR.jpg
My new tank inhabitants. They have been hanging out near this filter intake and near the power heads so far but it's still early. I just added them this afternoon.

OP
OP
lisa.gregory11

lisa.gregory11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns have been doing amazing. We named them Achmed and Mohammed because they chase each other all over the tank. We added 3 pajama cardinals, a skunk cleaner shrimp and a goby. The goby is doing great eating baby brine shrimp and food leftover from the others. So far everyone is happy.

OP
OP
lisa.gregory11

lisa.gregory11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't updated in awhile but my tank is doing incredible. I'm super happy with it so far. I did get some algea but I picked up a few turbo snails and they are cleaning it up nicely.

Stock
Pair of Platinum Clownfish
3 pajama cardinals
Yellow Watchman Goby
McCosker's Wrasse
Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
4 Nassarius Snails
3 Turbo snails

Rock of GSP
2 frags of zoas
2 red mushrooms (started as 1 but seeded pretty fast)
Green Goniopora
1 teal and purple scolymia

OP
OP
lisa.gregory11

lisa.gregory11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on my tank. Its now been 4 months and everything is going well for the most part. The only fish we've had not survive was a royal gamma that was fine then one day died no signs of any issues no aggression from other fish. I checked numbers today and found alk8.0, cal 460, salinity 1.025, nearly 0 nitrates, phosphates were 0.25 but I was about to do a water change, ph 8.4. I have a pair of Platinum ocerlarous clowns, 3 pajama, a mccosker wrasse, yellow watchman, coral beauty, a skunk cleaner shrimp, 5 nassarius snails, 3 turbo snails and 5 turban snails. We have a large rock of gsp, a red mushroom, scholy, acro, several zoas, firework cloves, green palys, green goni, hamster in a microwave favia, skittles cyphastrea, Hollywood, 24 k gold war coral, autumn harvest lepto, green candy cane, and a sunset montipora.

Attachments

• 20210502_140543.jpg
    20210502_140543.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 19

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back