First Saltwater Aquarium Build - HelloReef 15 Gallon ATO

ChazzFalcon

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 8, 2026
Messages
4
Reaction score
15
Location
Orlando
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I recently purchased the HelloReef 15 gallon kit from my LFS and wanted to document my build process for my first saltwater experience. I spent quite a number of hours on YouTube researching options and for my current situation, settled on the 15 gallon kit for my first saltwater tank. I've had a number of freshwater tanks and currently have a 16 gallon freshwater set-up running.

Currently, I plan on keeping a pair of clowns, a cleaner shrimp, and an appropriately-sized CUC. I want to add one or two nems after the tank is established.

As for the kit itself, I found it to be very welcoming and appreciated all of the resources and videos online that came with it.

Starting with the hardscape, I used four of the included rocks from the kit to create an overhang and used a generous amount of epoxy to secure the rocks.

Rock.jpeg


Any suggestions on this hardscape? It takes up the bottom 1/3 of the tank and I'm wondering if I should add a bit more height with an additional rock or two.

Planned upgrades:
- N-clear Nano Fleece Roller
- N-fill ATO
- Helio PTC 100W Heater w/ Controller
- MiniQ Nano Skimmer
- AI Axis 20 Return Pump
- VCA RFG Kit
 
I think you would be good to add a little bit more height to the scape!

My 20g Nano the rock was about 3/4th's the height of the tank, and I never had issues with it. I did it so that coral that needed higher light could sit higher in the tank.
 
Congratulations and welcome, glad you are here! More rock is always a bonus since it’s your primary biological filtration.
 
I think you would be good to add a little bit more height to the scape!

My 20g Nano the rock was about 3/4th's the height of the tank, and I never had issues with it. I did it so that coral that needed higher light could sit higher in the tank.

Thanks for the advice! I'll play around with some of the extra rocks to see how it looks, could also create another place or two for a nem to stick.
 
Howdy from Texas

Maura Tierney Hello GIF by Universal Pictures


what about the light?
which brand are you going with..?
The kit came with an AI Blade Coral Grow. Was planning on sticking with that for a bit, may consider either a second Coral Glow or another LED solution down the line.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 7.7%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new