New 80 gallon rimless frag tank build!

DnA-Aquatics LLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, long story short, I am a contractor. The owner at my LFS needed a few pieces of damaged vinyl siding replaced, and he had the new siding there, just needed to throw it on the wall. I knocked it out in 35 min and he generously gave me this brand new 80 gallon frag tank.
20190926_190208.jpg
I designed the stand last night and built it this morning in my wood shop. The only place i have room for this tank is in my basement.
20190927_184656.jpg

20190928_130221.jpg

The basement is unfinished but is dry and we constantly have a dehumidifier running so it is usually more comfortable down there then it is on the main levels.

The tank is 48"x24"x16"

I over built the stand in order to avoid having a center support. So, now the future sump will be easily seen and accessed.

BUT NOW.... I need your help!
What should i do?

Should it be a frag tank? Bare bottom? Another display tank? Should i build my own sump again? What size should my sump be? What equipment should i use?

I want everyone to help put together this masterful system in my unfinished basement. It will be the diamond in the rough.

My next step is the overflow, what should i do? Ghost overflow or drill the bottom out?

Step 2: sump
Diy or store bought?

Step 3: equipment

Step 4: we will figure it out when we get there.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go night time viewing tank. That’s what I did in my basement. That way whatever time it is I have one tank on full light.

But I like to look at shiny objects. Sometimes for to long.

OP
OP
DnA-Aquatics LLC

DnA-Aquatics LLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d go night time viewing tank. That’s what I did in my basement. That way whatever time it is I have one tank on full light.

But I like to look at shiny objects. Sometimes for to long.
That is a great idea! The only downside would be my basement windows would be glowing blue at night and my neighbors might think i am growing something illegal. Even though that would require light that was more on the red spectrum.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great idea! The only downside would be my basement windows would be glowing blue at night and my neighbors might think i am growing something illegal. Even though that would require light that was more on the red spectrum.
I can understand that. I did black out my glass block windows in my basement. Already have 3 vents I added to that side of the house lol. Didn’t need the lit widows!

Looks suspicious enough as it is.

OP
OP
DnA-Aquatics LLC

DnA-Aquatics LLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand that. I did black out my glass block windows in my basement. Already have 3 vents I added to that side of the house lol. Didn’t need the lit widows!

Looks suspicious enough as it is.
Hahaha i feel you there. I won't be to worried about it. If the cops show up i would be happy to show them my tank!

OP
OP
DnA-Aquatics LLC

DnA-Aquatics LLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: i discovered the the sides of this tank are not tempered, but the bottom glass is. So i went with the Eshopps eclipse L over flow. The kit came with the template and diamond coated drill bit. I have drilled glass many times before, and it went smoothly.
20191001_212131.jpg
20191001_212126.jpg

Tips on drilling glass:
Go slow!
Make a ring around where you are going to drill your hole with plumbers putty or caulk, then fill with water. Or have a constant stream or water hitting your hole while you drill it.

Sump update:
I procured a 40 gallon tank for pennies to build my sump out of, and some glass from my LFS, which the owner gave me for free. Still haven't decided if i am going to build my own or buy one. But, given that i have everything to build one, i might save my money and go that route.

20191001_204130.jpg

Next up:
I need a skimmer
I need a light

Any suggestions?

OP
OP
DnA-Aquatics LLC

DnA-Aquatics LLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!

Found a light and a skimmer. Went with a CREE led light that has 6 internal timers so i will be able to set up and sunrise, sunset feature. It was cheap, the reviews were great, and it was free one day shipping. We will see how it goes.
20191008_194753.jpg
20191008_183521.jpg

Threw the baffles in the sump with a 14 gallon refugium section in the center. The water level will sit at 10.5 inches, with a 1inch block under the skimmer should be perfect. Just need to wait 4 more days for it to cure.
20191010_171654.jpg

I also drilled the return line into the back of the tank and added all the neccessary plumbing. This tank is ready for some water. If anyone in the area has some live rock they want to get rid of let me know.
20191010_171648.jpg

OP
OP
DnA-Aquatics LLC

DnA-Aquatics LLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could get a free frag tank lol. Have you thought about using a bio block instead of LR? They have a lot more surface area as well.
I do plan on using a bio block product in the refugium, and as a "stand" for my skimmer to raise it up an inch. I want to do a bare bottom tank with a bunch of live rock on the bottom of the tank to grow my corals on. That way it will be easy for my to just pull a rock out, chip off the mushroom, zoa, etc... and glue it to a frag plug. Hoping using the mature live rock will cut down my initial cycle time.

OP
OP
DnA-Aquatics LLC

DnA-Aquatics LLC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time for an update: last month i transferred a 125 gallon into this system. So far so good.
20191119_141320.jpg

Parameters have remained stable-ish for that time. Refugium is growing chaeto like crazy. My pod population is taking off with the help of phyto ever sunday.
20191103_204138.jpg

I also added a hydor ATO.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha, your guess is as good as mine. Maybe a single utilitarian fish?

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back