New 90g marine fish tank

Cod1926

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wanting to convert my 90g African cichlid tank to a reef tank, but I am a complete newbie to marine fish and would just like a bit of answers. My general idea for the tank so far would be 2-4 clownfish a flame angelfish and a pair of mandarins but have heard they are difficult to keep so would probably get them later down the line when more knowledgeable. Also would like to keep coral and some anemones.
first question: Currently have an fx4 and 2000ef filter, will I be fine keeping these and not having a sump?, and what changes would need to be made filter media, currently have around 4kg of bio media, some purigen and various filter pads.
Second question: I know new lighting and a protein skimmer is needed, are there any other things I need to convert my tank?
Any other information or tips you could give me would be greatly appreciated/ stocking advice. Srry for the long post

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about the long post...I'm more worried about the longer answer that it's going to need.

Really good you're starting your research BEFORE you come here with a "I just got tank started, what do I do?"

I'm not going into all the do's and dont's. Tons of great advice, videos out there. Recommend any/all BRS tank series. Some are older now, but all valuable. Also look at the MACNA videos from the conferences last several years on YouTube. Lots of great you tubers out there - lots of not so great ones. Also, LFS can be best help, or not. Do the BRS/MACNA research, then expand out to others so you have some good foundation to balance other advice against.

There are also many right answers in setting up a tank. No sump, canister filter is definitely possible. Also, sump with HOB overflow so you don't have to drill. Basic to complex.

If I had any recommendation for starting a new tank from what I've learned I would start simply. Once you have tank setup get corals before fish. Let's you learn water management for SW without all the nutrient build up. Softies are a great way to start. If something happens, you're out less money and if you want to switch to LPS/SPS they really help mature tank for their success even if you remove them after a year.

Good luck, I envy you starting on the journey.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cod1926

Cod1926

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about the long post...I'm more worried about the longer answer that it's going to need.

Really good you're starting your research BEFORE you come here with a "I just got tank started, what do I do?"

I'm not going into all the do's and dont's. Tons of great advice, videos out there. Recommend any/all BRS tank series. Some are older now, but all valuable. Also look at the MACNA videos from the conferences last several years on YouTube. Lots of great you tubers out there - lots of not so great ones. Also, LFS can be best help, or not. Do the BRS/MACNA research, then expand out to others so you have some good foundation to balance other advice against.

There are also many right answers in setting up a tank. No sump, canister filter is definitely possible. Also, sump with HOB overflow so you don't have to drill. Basic to complex.

If I had any recommendation for starting a new tank from what I've learned I would start simply. Once you have tank setup get corals before fish. Let's you learn water management for SW without all the nutrient build up. Softies are a great way to start. If something happens, you're out less money and if you want to switch to LPS/SPS they really help mature tank for their success even if you remove them after a year.

Good luck, I envy you starting on the journey.
Thanks for the direction, will look into the videos, looks like I got a good bit of research to do. I like the idea of looking after coral for awhile and easing into it. Have rushed freshwater tanks too fast in the past and never ends well.

Upvote 0
Back