New acro frags loose their tissue and die

Mikuchar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Scenario is. I had a thriving acro dominant reef tank than I moved and lost them all. I've reset now for exactly 15 months and just recently tried adding some acro frags from a reputable co. So they were healthy. The few lps I have are doing great all parameters test great lighting schedule flow all the same. Coral line algae growing everywhere in tank but so far every acro frag I've put in on my frag rack to have them adjust slowly to light like I've always done have within hours start to loose their flesh and within 1-2 days are white skeletons? I'm at a loss to what is wrong. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ty

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it’s going to be asked what are those ‘great parameters?’ Did you dip? What dip? What acclimation procedure? What was weather like during shipping? Maricultured vs. Aquacultured?

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi. Sry about the loss but more info would b helpful. I had frags go like that but it was only after a dip. Needless to say , no longer use that product.

OP
OP
Mikuchar

Mikuchar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Since it’s going to be asked what are those ‘great parameters?’ Did you dip? What dip? What acclimation procedure? What was weather like during shipping? Maricultured vs. Aquacultured?
8.6 alk, calcium 470, mag 1470, nitrate .02, phosphate. 06. I got the coral frags directly from Adam from battlecorals directly out of his system within min. To mine within 1hr. I live close to him. They were extremely healthy frags

OP
OP
Mikuchar

Mikuchar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi. Sry about the loss but more info would b helpful. I had frags go like that but it was only after a dip. Needless to say , no longer use that product.
I didn't dip being this the second batch the first was overnight shipped so we met this time and now it has to be some type of chemistry in the water that doesn't affect the los

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.6 alk, calcium 470, mag 1470, nitrate .02, phosphate. 06. I got the coral frags directly from Adam from battlecorals directly out of his system within min. To mine within 1hr. I live close to him. They were extremely healthy frags
That would lead me to believe it’s a temp or salinity issue… unless you dipped them?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing clearly visible that’s not to par is your mag that’s pretty high… I don’t think that would cause this issue but I guess it’s possible if the corals are coming from 1200 mag to 1500 mag… I’ve noticed with that sps bubbling disease lots of people mention high mag causes it but can’t be for sure. I had a couple pieces blister around 1450mag was that the cause? Idk and I don’t believe so but I dropped my mag to 1300ish and the problem went away.. coincidence I believe haha…. I don’t think 24-48 hours would be a bacterial problem but maybe.. I know once you spike your alk or something it’s normally 4-7 days later the sticks respond and start peeling etc.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the membrane in the ro unit?
It’s possible but doubtful. Do you have any brass fittings or anything after the ro membrane? I had a buddy with a similar problem and couldn’t keep sps for years.. turns out he had a brass ball valve on his salt water mixing station and it never clicked! He was contaminating all his freshly mixed water..

OP
OP
Mikuchar

Mikuchar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only thing clearly visible that’s not to par is your mag that’s pretty high… I don’t think that would cause this issue but I guess it’s possible if the corals are coming from 1200 mag to 1500 mag… I’ve noticed with that sps bubbling disease lots of people mention high mag causes it but can’t be for sure. I had a couple pieces blister around 1450mag was that the cause? Idk and I don’t believe so but I dropped my mag to 1300ish and the problem went away.. coincidence I believe haha…. I don’t think 24-48 hours would be a bacterial problem but maybe.. I know once you spike your alk or something it’s normally 4-7 days later the sticks respond and start peeling etc.
I'm starting to think something within the ro unit/water

OP
OP
Mikuchar

Mikuchar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s possible but doubtful. Do you have any brass fittings or anything after the ro membrane? I had a buddy with a similar problem and couldn’t keep sps for years.. turns out he had a brass ball valve on his salt water mixing station and it never clicked! He was contaminating all his freshly mixed water..
No it's the 4 stage from brs all plastic fittings

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Folks often blame chemistry without any evidence when, IMO, biology is often the cause of tank problems. pathogens, for example, such as bacteria or viruses.

Are inverts like snails or crabs OK?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back