New acros and already rtn....

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just received a new bunch of corals.
I am trying Acropora's again after all acros except one died the previous time.
The last time I ordered acros and they died it was probably becous the tin level was 200ug/l due to a lot of new pcv (in Europe tin is being used as a softener in the production process).
Now a year later, after a bunch of cuprisorb and waterchanges the tin is under 10ug/l

So any way yesterday I received the corals and after temprature aclamating I dropped them into a small 10g holding tank with water from my main tank a heater and a power head.
And today 24h later (all still looking fine) I dipped them for 7 minutes in coral rx (12 drops per liter) and put them on a fragrack at the bottom of my main tank.
After 10 minutes one of the acros started losing tissue (ofcourse the nicest one).
I immediately took it out and placed into a shaded area of my lps tank (same water) to make shure it did not spread to other acros.
Now 7 hours later the lights are out and the rtning acro has lost 1/3 of tissue from the base up.
The other acros still seem to be ok.

So I wonder..
Could this be from a light shock?

As I did not have a light on the holding tank (only some stray light from main tank so it went from no more than 10 par to 175 par..

Immediately after I took out the rtning acro I turned down the lights to 20%.
And now I have them in acclimation mode from 65% to 100% in 20 days just to be safe.

The lights are 3x radeon g5 costume ab+ with 50% white at peak at 80% intensity on a 40x26x22'' tank.

My current parameters are
kh 8,5
Ca 430
Mg1500
No3 10
Po4 0,08
Temp 24,6°C
Salinity 1.026

Got Monti's, stylos, birdsnest, alot of lps, Zoas and 1 (not counting the new ones) acro that all do fine and have good growth.

Now I keep my fingers crossed the other acros all be fine

OP
OP
Aquajan

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20220804_010445.jpg

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had about 50 acro frags do both rtn and stn. There are many theories out there, but no one knows for sure why this happens. I have had luck fragging the tips off about 5-6mm above the dead area and regluing on a fresh plug, but only about 25% survival. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I just received a new bunch of corals.
I am trying Acropora's again after all acros except one died the previous time.
The last time I ordered acros and they died it was probably becous the tin level was 200ug/l due to a lot of new pcv (in Europe tin is being used as a softener in the production process).
Now a year later, after a bunch of cuprisorb and waterchanges the tin is under 10ug/l

So any way yesterday I received the corals and after temprature aclamating I dropped them into a small 10g holding tank with water from my main tank a heater and a power head.
And today 24h later (all still looking fine) I dipped them for 7 minutes in coral rx (12 drops per liter) and put them on a fragrack at the bottom of my main tank.
After 10 minutes one of the acros started losing tissue (ofcourse the nicest one).
I immediately took it out and placed into a shaded area of my lps tank (same water) to make shure it did not spread to other acros.
Now 7 hours later the lights are out and the rtning acro has lost 1/3 of tissue from the base up.
The other acros still seem to be ok.

So I wonder..
Could this be from a light shock?

As I did not have a light on the holding tank (only some stray light from main tank so it went from no more than 10 par to 175 par..

Immediately after I took out the rtning acro I turned down the lights to 20%.
And now I have them in acclimation mode from 65% to 100% in 20 days just to be safe.

The lights are 3x radeon g5 costume ab+ with 50% white at peak at 80% intensity on a 40x26x22'' tank.

My current parameters are
kh 8,5
Ca 430
Mg1500
No3 10
Po4 0,08
Temp 24,6°C
Salinity 1.026

Got Monti's, stylos, birdsnest, alot of lps, Zoas and 1 (not counting the new ones) acro that all do fine and have good growth.

Now I keep my fingers crossed the other acros all be fine
Any chance that one has got some damage? Shipping, moving around, ect?
I usually recommend drip acclimating acros
You are the first person I've heard this from in a long time.
I stopped drip acclimating because I was losing more than surviving. I can't think of one acro I lost since temp, dip and plop method.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance that one has got some damage? Shipping, moving around, ect?

You are the first person I've heard this from in a long time.
I stopped drip acclimating because I was losing more than surviving. I can't think of one acro I lost since temp, dip and plop method.

I am just concerned of the pH spike.

OP
OP
Aquajan

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi thanks for replying.

This morning the acro lost about 50% of the tissue but it looks like the rtn stopped at night and started again when the lights got on.
I've just snapped of the tips of the acro and glued it on a fresh plug hoping it survives but it does not look that way
It is under 80 par right now.

I did indeed not drip aclimate becouse alot of people lose more corals that way.
The idea is that the best thing you can do for a coral that is shipped overnight is to get it out of the bag and into a healthy system asap.

IMG_20220804_110445.jpg

I don't know if the coral was damaged by shipping, it wasn't anything visible.

I also used gloves while handeling the frags.

Other corals still doing fine and have good pe.
IMG_20220804_112545.jpg

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might just be bad luck on that frag. I won't use an acclimation mode on my radions and its never caused an issue for me. Just start them low and move them up. Same process for getting new corals in as well with temp acclimate, dip(depending on who i get them from) and toss in the tank. Sometimes they just don't handle the shipping well. I've made sure to only order from vendors that are within my region and I try my best to only order and ship when the temps are moderate(not too cold or hot) to help reduce stress on the corals. I hope your cuttings pull through, at least the other frags are all looking good. Did the vendor you got them from have any kind of replacement policy?

OP
OP
Aquajan

Aquajan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I indeed assume it is just bad luck.
I have put my lights back to their regular schedule as the other acras still look fine.
I live in the Netherlands and there are very few stores here that sell nice (not basic) corals.
So I buy most of my corals online from Germany and I found a very nice store in Belgium recently.
That all shipped to me within 24h.
The temprature these days is quite ideal I think.. 20-25 degrees celcius.
I can't find anyting on the site of the vendor I bought the coral from and I don't think that after I cut off the tips they still go ne give me a refund
Altough it is a big reefing brand that has their own gear and a large line of addatives an also happen to sell corals from their own farm so I can't imagine they don't have a refund policy.

The clipped pieces of the coral still live and have pe and the rest of the coral has some life left too with pe.
It's both sad and amazing to see how
IMG_20220805_012254.jpg
IMG_20220805_012305.jpg
the living part of the acro seems healty while it is slowly dieing.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It blows my mind that the tips of an acro can have good colour and polyp extension and the death is rising above it. Very frustrating and sorry to hear you are having this issue.

tmc13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photos in your post #9 show aiptasia (or what appears to be) on your substrate right next to the acro. If you want to have any chance of it healing and not getting worse or more stressed from any other variables I would move it ASAP.

Slicktop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your water parameters look good.. some sps just don't do well in the shipping process or the change in tanks. In the past when ordering new frags I rarely see where all the newbys make it.. 90% will do great and the other 10% never make it .. Just part of the hobby..

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would celebrate the fact that the other new acros are doing well. Some just don’t make the shipment and acclimation process. I also would not drip acclimate but that’s probably not a huge factor IME.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no idea people just float, dip and drop them in. I've been drip acclimating since I started with sps. Is this specific to frags that have been shipped or what?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually recommend drip acclimating acros
I have always drip acclimated frags .
not knowing the parameter levels of where they are coming from ,
To assure they are adjusted to everything slowly .
Imagine a lfs keeping frags at nsw levels
And taking these same frags and dropping them in another system with 9+ dkh
Obviously it’s going to cause some sort of issues

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back