New Addition to Tank - Green Long Tentacle

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all
Just added an anemone to the tank and after about an hour it has nearly doubled in overall size from how it looked in the LFS.
BUT, the mouth is gaped WIDE open... looks peculiar to me.
Tried feeding a small chunk of raw shrimp, but didn’t take it.
The clownfish for which we bought the anemone has quickly hosted with it and goes INSIDE it’s mouth ... normal?

Attachments

• IMG_3929.MOV
    33.1 MB
  • trim.55703238-DFC8-44D3-8E57-1F292F7B2F71.MOV
    9.1 MB
Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can see the video.
If the fish go inside the anemone, you need to separate them until the anemone is better. Certain clown species, espeically A. polymnus, will go into the anemone and eat chunks of the anemone and kill them.
What clown species do you have?

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an Ocellaris.
I’ve tried a couple of methods to upload the video from my phone, but it’s not working.
I’ll upload from a PC as soon as I can.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me before with a LTA. It actually took several months before the mouth fully closed. It went from gaping to small like the diameter of a pencil, and eventually closed.

when the mouth is gaping like that the clowns will dig into the mouth and steal the food. I would feed it a small pellet sized food everyday until it recovers. What I used was vitalis food as my clowns don’t like to eat it. I would drop the food directly into the mouth.

Eventually the tentacles got stickier it would hold on by itself. Once the tentacles were sticky enough that the clowns couldn’t rip food away from it anymore, I switched to chunks of shrimp.

one mistake I made once was to put a net over it to keep the clowns away. I did this during feeding. The anemone was bothered by it and dislodged its foot that night. I found it in the power head the next morning.

once you nurse them back though, they are very hardy like BTAs and pretty easy to keep.

OP
OP
bdesign

bdesign

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This happened to me before with a LTA. It actually took several months before the mouth fully closed. It went from gaping to small like the diameter of a pencil, and eventually closed.

when the mouth is gaping like that the clowns will dig into the mouth and steal the food. I would feed it a small pellet sized food everyday until it recovers. What I used was vitalis food as my clowns don’t like to eat it. I would drop the food directly into the mouth.

Eventually the tentacles got stickier it would hold on by itself. Once the tentacles were sticky enough that the clowns couldn’t rip food away from it anymore, I switched to chunks of shrimp.

one mistake I made once was to put a net over it to keep the clowns away. I did this during feeding. The anemone was bothered by it and dislodged its foot that night. I found it in the power head the next morning.

once you nurse them back though, they are very hardy like BTAs and pretty easy to keep.

Thanks for the advice; I'll definitely use it!

The mouth has closed up some already, so, hopefully, it won't be much longer.

LTA.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 112 34.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back