New addition

Bluejawtrigger

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 10, 2012
Messages
510
Reaction score
3
Location
Wilmington , NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran across this at my LFS and decided to give it a new home. Not sure if it's a stag or elk horn
a6890f5a-a522-0c7f.jpg
 
I'm not 100%, I've got a blue tort tho, it's got a different texture skeleton than this one. I'm like you, not the best at identification. But I like it.
 
Nice addition... I'm no expert, but it looks like A. formosa.
 
Nice addition!
 
I agree with M&T, looks like a formosa. Nice piece, regardless of the species!
 
I googled and compared pics, texture and structure. I'd say Formosa. I really appreciate the help with the ID. If I'm correct the it is considered a Stag Horn, correct? For a common name.
 
I googled and compared pics, texture and structure. I'd say Formosa. I really appreciate the help with the ID. If I'm correct the it is considered a Stag Horn, correct? For a common name.

Correct, Acropora formosa = staghorn.
 
Just to clarify, there are actually several species that are commonly referred to as "staghorns" such as cervicornis, loisetteae, lutkeni, lovelli, and many others.
 
Just to clarify, there are actually several species that are commonly referred to as "staghorns" such as cervicornis, loisetteae, lutkeni, lovelli, and many others.

Ok, good to know. I wasn't clear on that. Thank you, I'm getting more and more interested in specific names of my acros. Although I'm told there's hundreds. Still, always want to know more.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new