New Aggression and Future Stocking

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To keep things sweet and simple, I am having issues with aggression in my 120 gallon FOWLR
The fish in question are a porcupine puffer and a Picasso Trigger. I left for vacation Saturday and returned Tuesday. No one was feeding the tank over this time as things are usually fine, when I return I see my trigger and puffer are constantly going at eachother

the trigger biting at the puffers eyes had me most anxious, as of this morning I moved the trigger into the sump. I fed heavy for two days straight so far and the aggression persisted to this morning. Will I ever be able to safely return the trigger to the tank? Or should I return him to the LFS? They have been in the tank together for around a year now, so these issues are pretty out of nowhere. They have never fought before this.

I have a grouper in the tank as well and was wondering if I could possibly stock the tank with smaller fish if I removed both him and the trigger? I am already not the biggest fan of the grouper as it managed to down my Cuban hogfish.

current stock
Juvie French Angel
Green Scatophagus
Convict Tang
Wolf Eel
V-tail Grouper
Picasso Trigger

I thought it may be interesting to add a group of anthias, a butterfly, and dwarf angel with the Picasso and grouper removed. Just looking for thoughts or if the trigger can ever be safely added again.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're in a tough situation. The new aggression is probably just because of the fish growing and territories growing along with it. Some of them could work long term, including the trigger. You'll just have to make some choices and do some planning.

You've got a handful of fish that won't work long term in a 120, like the porc puffer, the french angel, and the wolf eel. If you removed those three and the grouper, I think your plan could work.

So:
Scat
Tang
Trigger, if you want.
Anthias
Butterfly
Dwarf angel

I think these others are fast enough and different enough from the trigger that the trigger should be okay.

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're in a tough situation. The new aggression is probably just because of the fish growing and territories growing along with it. Some of them could work long term, including the trigger. You'll just have to make some choices and do some planning.

You've got a handful of fish that won't work long term in a 120, like the porc puffer, the french angel, and the wolf eel. If you removed those three and the grouper, I think your plan could work.

So:
Scat
Tang
Trigger, if you want.
Anthias
Butterfly
Dwarf angel

I think these others are fast enough and different enough from the trigger that the trigger should be okay.
I feel like I also failed in explaining the rest of the stock a little bit. It is preferred that I keep the puffer, French, and wolf eel. The only ones I have considered giving up currently are the trigger and grouper. I suppose its best I give up the trigger as it will likely never integrate with the puffer again?

This setup was started with the intent on it being shut down after two years or so, It is to be my last larger tank I enjoy before I go off to college. I already have the porcupine and french angel lined up with larger homes, thus I would like to keep them until the time comes in September. It may be worthwhile to me if I were to just keep the same stock minus the grouper considering the tank is going down in less than a year now. If I were to remove the grouper and trigger, the question would be more like.

Scat
French
Tang
Porcupine
Wolf Eel

And then what should I add? The other fish have had no territory problems other than the scat and angel sometimes fighting but this has greatly mellowed out with the addition of real live rock and two grazing clips allowing for more feeding opportunities. I thought Anthias or even fusiliers would be a great addition. I would do something drastic like juvie trevally but even I know no one around me could handle those.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back