New AI Axis Pump- Avoid the brand label mark up

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except the vast majority of these items can be run locally with zero cloud interaction or application. AI stuff doesn’t even have WiFi connectivity so there goes that’s theory
Maybe I misunderstood, because I don't own this products but when you wrote about people like better control, this sounds like some kind of app, and the majority of apps need some kind of internet connection to keep their full features. Also this looks suspiciously like a cloud symbol. Like the definition of a cloud symbol. And MyAI sounds like a online account. Tell me I'm wrong but if you do, tell me what's wrong in my theory.
Screenshot_2023-11-07-20-04-16.png

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe I misunderstood, because I don't own this products but when you wrote about people like better control, this sounds like some kind of app, and the majority of apps need some kind of internet connection to keep their full features. Also this looks suspiciously like a cloud symbol. Like the definition of a cloud symbol. And MyAI sounds like a online account. Tell me I'm wrong but if you do, tell me what's wrong in my theory.

It does use an app but it is bluetooth and local. I am also 99% sure you can change settings on the controller itself with no app connection. Much more limited that way but still possible.

The MyAI logo is a cloud but none of my AI products have any wifi or interent connection available so not sure what would be stored in the cloud that my products need to access? My AI Blades connect through bluetooth, I set them up, they store the settings and just run. They don't need any kind of internet connection or connection to my phone to run their schedule. Again, I can semi control them with the button on each light if I absolutely have to. Crude but they will still light up and work if I need them to.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
myAI® is AquaIllumination®'s cloud-based service that connects you to all your AI® devices. Compatible with iOS and Android.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call em whatever you want. I’m getting them. I like ai. I like their app. And if I can just about all my equipment on one easy to use app that’s even better. I’m sure they will probably come out with a kraken type device in the future. And I’ll probably buy that. I prefer a name brand. The old saying goes you get what you pay for

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
myAI® is AquaIllumination®'s cloud-based service that connects you toall your AI® devices. Compatible with iOS and Android.
Yeah I thought something like that is the case. I mean even if you don't use this (un)feature you're still paying for it. Nothing is free.

It does use an app but it is bluetooth and local. I am also 99% sure you can change settings on the controller itself with no app connection. Much more limited that way but still possible.

The MyAI logo is a cloud but none of my AI products have any wifi or interent connection available so not sure what would be stored in the cloud that my products need to access? My AI Blades connect through bluetooth, I set them up, they store the settings and just run. They don't need any kind of internet connection or connection to my phone to run their schedule. Again, I can semi control them with the button on each light if I absolutely have to. Crude but they will still light up and work if I need them to.
Well if you can actually set up everything offline then it's fine I guess but I would still check if this is really the case. A lot of products need at least an initial internet connection to download additional data or unlock/register the app.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I thought something like that is the case. I mean even if you don't use this (un)feature you're still paying for it. Nothing is free.

Well if you can actually set up everything offline then it's fine I guess but I would still check if this is really the case. A lot of products need at least an initial internet connection to download additional data or unlock/register the app.

Day 1 right out of the box I plugged the Blades in, hit the button on them, and they fired up. I believe it has 5 built in settings of 20/40/60/80/100%.

One thing I never tested was if it saved your setting if it lost power. If so, then a simple on/off timer would at least let you run them at a preset.

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply having better control and a real company standing behind their product is worth it to many.

This practice of rebranding happens all over the world in every industry. It’s been happening for well over 30 years in this hobby and will continue to happen for the foreseeable future.

Are you going to blow our minds by telling us the Orbit isn’t brand new innovation either???

+1. It's not a 'ripoff' if there's a value-add, in this case, warranty, service, and AI's app support (and their app is amazing, the best of any I've used in the hobby). Plus to me, an extra $70 is nothing. Budget minded consumers can purchase the cheaper alternative, and I'll purchase the one from AI. Different people, different needs - let's hear it for the free market!

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Axis 90 is selling for $229 CND, plus taxes, so that’s a $80 delta in price point from the off label version. But as pointed out, the warranty offered by AI could offset that cost for some. If ZKSJ has a good track record of sending out replacement units if one faults, then I’d be inclined to go that route. But if it’s just another Chinese white label with a curb side warranty, then the choice to spend more makes sense.

Has anyone dealt with either ZKSJ or Aquariumlowcost.com to speak to their track record?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one is comparing apples to apples here. Same pump mechanically, but the AI one has wireless control and integration with MyAI, Mobius, and Apex. The ZKSJ one is wired only. It is not a rip off, it is as @MartinM mentioned, It is "value added." The OP should of said "If you like the pump but do not need all the bells and whistle’s, you can get that pump much cheaper."
It is not a ripoff, it cost money for a company to to R&D, chips, software upgrades etc. And they are in the business to make money for the parent company Aperture, otherwise they will get removed. In the eyes of capitol investment companies, there is a lot of overlap in the companies Aperture owns. This all has to be kept in perspective.
Covid is over, The massive profits and business that has come from it has ended. Its 6am at the club and the lights have come on. People have to go back to work now.
Honk if you understood my 2am ramblings....

OP
OP
J

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one is comparing apples to apples here. Same pump mechanically, but the AI one has wireless control and integration with MyAI, Mobius, and Apex. The ZKSJ one is wired only. It is not a rip off, it is as @MartinM mentioned, It is "value added." The OP should of said "If you like the pump but do not need all the bells and whistle’s, you can get that pump much cheaper."
It is not a ripoff, it cost money for a company to to R&D, chips, software upgrades etc. And they are in the business to make money for the parent company Aperture, otherwise they will get removed. In the eyes of capitol investment companies, there is a lot of overlap in the companies Aperture owns. This all has to be kept in perspective.
Covid is over, The massive profits and business that has come from it has ended. Its 6am at the club and the lights have come on. People have to go back to work now.
Honk if you understood my 2am ramblings....
They use the same general program and built in control module in the cord as they do with the Nero and the other devices they run. They did not have to do much R&D, just ask ZKSJ to make it with the existing AI controller instead of the one ZKSJ uses. Programming work is minimal. Also if a third party can buy it from ZKSJ and sell it for $60 less a unit and be profitable enough for them, then AI at a higher volume would be just as profitable if not more without inflating the costs that much.

As for the added value. I have three Nero 5 units that use the same built in module and app for control. All three have issues keeping up with the programming and often get locked into a consistent speed that cannot be stopped by the app. Power cycling is required 1-2 times a week to get it to follow the programming. The need for that nullifies the value add and makes me wish I could get one with a manual controller build into the power cord.

Shon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ZKSJ? I thought the other was IOAOI branded.. just don't see the smallest USB one IOAOI has. Scratch that, looks like IOAOI no longer sells the others but the USB pump.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is basically what reefbreeders does. It is nice having support though, and integrating it with an app that works for the rest of the pumps (and lights) is nifty. I don't think it is a terrible price either (relatively speaking)

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They use the same general program and built in control module in the cord as they do with the Nero and the other devices they run. They did not have to do much R&D, just ask ZKSJ to make it with the existing AI controller instead of the one ZKSJ uses. Programming work is minimal. Also if a third party can buy it from ZKSJ and sell it for $60 less a unit and be profitable enough for them, then AI at a higher volume would be just as profitable if not more without inflating the costs that much.

As for the added value. I have three Nero 5 units that use the same built in module and app for control. All three have issues keeping up with the programming and often get locked into a consistent speed that cannot be stopped by the app. Power cycling is required 1-2 times a week to get it to follow the programming. The need for that nullifies the value add and makes me wish I could get one with a manual controller build into the power cord.
I really don’t understand why you have so much skin in this. Just don’t buy the AI one. You have let us know there is a wired one out there. AI created this pump to cover cost, cover future cost, and to make a profit. There are many other options out there including the one you mentioned. Thank you for that. But though out this posting you have seen examples of why people want or would choose this product.

FUNGI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don’t understand why you have so much skin in this. Just don’t buy the AI one. You have let us know there is a wired one out there. AI created this pump to cover cost, cover future cost, and to make a profit. There are many other options out there including the one you mentioned. Thank you for that. But though out this posting you have seen examples of why people want or would choose this product.
I tend to agree here.....its like buying an Audi and expecting VW pricing (albeit, made by the same company and rebadged)....if not happy with eth price, buy the alternative

OP
OP
J

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not buying either one. My OP simply said the pump already exists, you can get it cheaper, there are the links so you can avoid a big mark up. You are inferring so much more from that. Additionally if you post a rebuttal in here, people like myself are going to chime in and respond. That is not skin in it, it is part of a conversation. You push that they have R&D and such, I countered it that it was already built and their add ons already existed. You push the value add of the programming, I note that I have issues with their programming on all of my units and its not an add on as I have to find a work around on it. If you wish to state your opinion without anyone saying anything back, write on a mirror and not a forum.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not buying either one. My OP simply said the pump already exists, you can get it cheaper, there are the links so you can avoid a big mark up.

Does it integrate with Mobius?
Does it integrate with the Neptune MXM module?
Does it allow you to control it via the Neptune Fusion web portal or application?

Plzpizza

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selling it at triple the price is a problem for a product that is also made in China with extra steps. For that price, I would only be buying german made. Get yourself a red dragon if you have money don't buy gimmick.

But people need to know there is the option with the cheaper price let the customer choose. Its a easy choice id go for the off brand anyday. Exception is Redsea they seem to keep their design close. Only off brand i saw as the lights and pump other **** are well kept

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back